Maryland State Delegate Says Trans Rights Bill Would ‘Normalize Abnormal Behavior’

AfzaliIn a recent letter to her constituents, Republican Maryland State Representative Kathy Afzali said that she is “completely and unequivocally opposed” to the “Fairness for All Marylanders Act of 2014" (aka House Bill 1265) — a bill which would prohibit gender identity discrimination in all housing, employment and public accommodations — because it “doesn’t aim to end discrimination, but to normalize abnormal behavior.”

The Washington Blade has more of her remarks:

“HB 1265 seeks to create a new class of protected individuals in the state’s anti-discrimination statute… It is important that Maryland does not separate one’s ‘gender identity’ and their ‘assigned sex at birth’ as noted in the bill.

“Like the majority of Marylanders, I share the view that this redefinition rejects our society’s understanding of human nature. So ladies if you happen to see a guy in a dress in the restaurant bathroom, you’ll know the bill passed and that I voted no.”

Afzali's rhetoric uses the tired right-wing scare tactic of conflating transgender bathroom users to sexual predators and rapists even though such sexual assaults have never ever occurred, even in states that have passed similar bills.

The Blade also notes that Afzali has also said that gay men make bad parents and spoke at a rally where a pastor said that Superstorm Sandy struck New York City because then-mayor Michael Bloomberg donated $250,000 in support of Maryland’s same-sex marriage law.

Maryland House Bill already passed the senate on March 4th and has the support of 71 percent of all Marylanders.

Comments

1. Tyler says

Also, I look forward to Rick posting transphobic comments under a bunch of different names, because it shows just how twisted and pathetic transphobia is.

2. Brian1 says

@tyler

There’s also a good chance he’ll use his Jason persona to make misogynistic comments. He enjoys using any example of an anti gay woman to say all women are evil.

3. Craig says

Ever notice how their official photos always show them with this weird, crazed perpetually stoned/high/bat sh*t crazy/psychopathic look on their faces?

4. Homo Genius says

“transphobic comments”

can we get a definition? so we don’t make the same mistake. Like is the fact I don’t think Chelsea Manning is a chick or Chaz Bono is a guy transphobic?

5. Enchantra says

Many of the people named Afzali appear to be first generation Americans (first generation born in America) descended from parents with names like Mohammed and Fatima. Perhaps our dear Kathy is trying to hard to present herself as someone who isn’t sleeping with the enemy.

6. Tanya says

Randy, the trans bill is not about protecting women. Gender identity and expression absolutely covers men in dresses. It covers men who take hormones to develop breasts but who keep their wangs. It covers the neutrois, who want to get castration surgery. You want it to be simple and cover classic transsexuals, but the truth is it covers a circus of bizarre behaviors. Transsexuals do NOT wish to be associated with this.

7. Thedrdonna says

Tanya, don’t presume to speak for all trans folks, whether transsexual, genderqueer, third gender, whatever. You certainly don’t speak for me.

8. mdnc says

Well my home State still has it’s share of wack job morons in politics. Let’s just say it’s always had a colorful if not somewhat wacky political climate.

9. disgusted american says

I sent this to her facebook:

Education is a GOOD thing…please Educate yourself on Trangenderism………I don’t pretend to understand everything about it…but I do know IT DOES EXIST. It falls under the catagory – IF you aren’t One……they you have NO idea what a Trangendered person is going through….Transgendered ISN’T a behavior – it just IS. ……I wish you dammed Republicans would educate yourselves. Small Gov’t Party my ass….If you aren’t trying to tell whom can marry whom, you’re Vaginally Probing women’s VaJJs…….Your party makes me ill…….are the dems perfect, hell noooo….but I’d Never ever ever Vote Republican…..the party of Hate, Bigotry and Discrimination! ..how any women could be a Republican should be the subject of STUDY aka Stockholme Syndrome……Pathetic! Look up the name Alice Paul and educate yourself on what REAL women look like..

10. DARCY says

I’d never have let my kids go to any religious school and I’d have been pretty upset had any of my grandkids been sent to one. Kids have no need for this kind of treatment and I’m pretty sure she was ostracized by at least some of her classmates at TCS.

Worse yet, this shows an unbending conformity. TCS wants to force its students to be what TCS wants them to be and not who they are. And it’s also very much reinforcing the doctrine of male domination and female submission that some Christian groups (Quiverfull, …) hold so dear. Obviously, Sunnie is a free spirit and TCS finds that threatening. Too bad they don’t understand that they should be doing what is best for each child and not what is best for the school.

I’m glad her grandparents got her out of there. I’m sure that it is the best solution for Sunnie. Of course she will miss her friends but she will soon make new ones in her new school.

Good luck in your new school, Sunnie! I’m sure that you will do very well there.