News

Mississippi Anchor Tells The Gay Community To Take A ‘Gaycation’

Newsnews

Biloxi, Mississipi anchor Dave Elliott recently took to social media to suggest that LGBT stories have been hogging the spotlight too much as of late. The solution? The entire community should go on a “gaycation, just for the weekend. Enjoy yourselves!” In his post, shown above thanks to jimromenesko.com, Elliott also professes to be an ally and advocate for LGBT causes.

Mediaite reports on the fallout from the incident:

Though the station has not issued any formal statement, they did comment on Facebook that “We are not happy at all with the post or any imagined ‘free publicity.’” They suggested outraged viewers should look to Elliott to address his own comments.

In another response, WLOX wrote: “[O]ur station is committed to covering news that happens in our community, and issues important to our viewers — that includes the LGBT community.” The station pointed to several examples of its own LGBT coverage, noting: “Just this week, we aired several stories about the LGBT community on the coast and a march to the state capitol. I would ask that you let that work speak to our commitment to ALL our viewers.”

Elliott later addressed the remarks, writing: “I recently made an insensitive and unprofessional Facebook post regarding the LGBT community. I did not choose my words wisely and I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by it. I’ve advocated for justice and equality my entire life. I hope this heartfelt apology is accepted in the spirit in which it is being made.”

Comments

1. Actually, I think it's kinda funny. And I'll take his advice. I'm heading to Vegas for a weekend gaycation

Posted by: Timothy Kincaid | Mar 28, 2014 2:26:42 PM

2. What me worry?

Posted by: Sean | Mar 28, 2014 2:30:48 PM

3. Aww, he wasn't serious because he didn't add three snaps.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Mar 28, 2014 2:33:07 PM

4. I have no problem with what he said. It made me smile

Posted by: Kenny | Mar 28, 2014 2:39:42 PM

5. I don't understand what the issue is or why it warrants a post.

Posted by: Dan Antimony | Mar 28, 2014 2:42:50 PM

6. Yeah, this was just silly, no more, no less.

Posted by: Mikey | Mar 28, 2014 2:44:28 PM

7. Non-issue

Posted by: Larry | Mar 28, 2014 2:45:34 PM

8. If straight people and Christians just stop making such a fuss about all things gay, it wouldn't be in the news so often.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 28, 2014 2:45:43 PM

9. Homophobes doing homophobic things have been in the news a lot lately. Not our fault.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 28, 2014 2:45:57 PM

10. Maybe Flight 370 should go on aircation, as it's been hogging the news lately. What a nimrod.

I'm glad it was humorously expressed, and I don't take particular offense ... but as a newscaster, he should realize that the news IS what the news IS ... and if he's an ally, he should celebrate with the rest of us the astounding speed and frequency of gay rights news sweeping this backwards nation.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 28, 2014 2:48:02 PM

11. "I did not choose my words wisely and I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by it." So it all boils down to the choice of words? Really? I wonder what other words he could have used to convey the same message?

Posted by: Ted | Mar 28, 2014 2:50:49 PM

12. The cold, old, white hand of the patriarchy uses facebook too.

Posted by: Glendo | Mar 28, 2014 2:56:26 PM

13. Tbh it's just a bit of a crummy joke. I don't find it offensive at all. And that is a proper apology, he's obvs not a bad guy

Posted by: danswon | Mar 28, 2014 3:00:17 PM

14. I thought this was funny. No hand-wringing, please.

Posted by: plinx | Mar 28, 2014 3:03:32 PM

15. I thought it was funny too....the spirit in which it was said was not hateful in the slightest

Posted by: C.J. | Mar 28, 2014 3:07:28 PM

16. How about you go on a STFUcation? 'k?

Posted by: David | Mar 28, 2014 3:10:17 PM

17. was i supposed to be offended? and what if i agreed with the substance of his message? he apologized, non-issue resolved.

Posted by: northalabama | Mar 28, 2014 3:19:06 PM

18. Is he wrong? Obviously, newsmaking gay stories should be reported, but even I'm starting to roll my eyes when Huffington Post comes out with "20 dishes to serve to your newly out gay son's pescetarian boyfriend" or some other nonsense filler. Not that the news isn't 80% filler these days.

Jeez, I sound old. I'm only 34. Bottom line, not offensive. In conclusion, get off my lawn, you whelps!

Posted by: Zell | Mar 28, 2014 3:25:22 PM

19. "Gaycation?" Haha. It takes real courage to engage in some good old-fashioned homophobic humor in gay friendly Mississippi.

Posted by: Max | Mar 28, 2014 3:30:44 PM

20. No rest for the wicked…

Posted by: David | Mar 28, 2014 3:31:33 PM

21. It was maybe an unprofessional thing to say, but there was clearly no malice in it. It sounds like something a friend or family member might say to me. Apology accepted. Let it go and move on.

Posted by: fedorajoe | Mar 28, 2014 3:32:42 PM

22. Old straight white man needs to check his privilege.

Posted by: Kieran | Mar 28, 2014 3:36:34 PM

23. I'm glad that only a small share of commenters were able to take offense at his unoffensive comment. The station needs to cool out.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 28, 2014 3:38:10 PM

24. This is typical Southern etiquette when making an ugly remark. They preface it with I'm a good person and I never say nasty things, but…

If you want to know their true colors, just listen to what they say after the but.

Posted by: JJ | Mar 28, 2014 3:42:29 PM

25. What a shmuck! With advocates like him, who needs enemies?

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Mar 28, 2014 3:46:52 PM