Bullying | News | North Carolina

N.C. School Tells Bullying Victim Not To Wear 'My Little Pony' Backpack

Grayson

A 9-year-old North Carolina student named Grayson Bruce has been told by his elementary school to stop wearing a “My Little Pony” backpack because it is a “trigger for bullying.”

Bruce told his ABC news affiliate that because bullies associate his Rainbow Dash backpack with a girl’s toy, “[The bullies are] taking it a little too far, with punching me, pushing me down, calling me horrible names, stuff that really shouldn't happen."

The boy’s mother responded, “[My Little Pony is] promoting friendship, there's no bad words, there's no violence, it's hard to find that, even in cartoons now." She added, “Saying a lunchbox is a trigger for bullying, is like saying a short skirt is a trigger for rape. It’s flawed logic, it doesn’t make any sense.”

For now Bruce is using a different bag, but mother and chld are urging the school to take action against the bullies rather than forcing the young student to conform to intimidation.

Another North Carolina student attempted suicide earlier this year after being bullied for watching My Little Pony. Soon after, a recovery fund was raised in his honor. Similarly, over 15,000 people have joined a “Support for Grayson” Facebook page urging his school to stop bullying and “empower children to be who they are!”

(via think progress)

Comments

1. Why are they attempting to change a harmless person's behavior? Why not change the aggressor's behavior so that they can adequately fit into society? What kind of school system values violence of passivity? Sounds like the inmates are running the inept asylum. Where is Sister Jude when you need her?

Posted by: woodroad34 | Mar 17, 2014 8:13:31 PM

2. The little boy's mother is absolutely right!

Posted by: Chrislam | Mar 17, 2014 8:22:05 PM

3. North Carolina is a concealed carry state and a stand your ground state. Give the boy a gun, a permit, some training and instruct him to shoot the next bully who threatens him. See how long the red necks remain enamored of these laws.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 17, 2014 8:44:00 PM

4. I'm in the brony fandom and most of the guys I've talked to are straight. The majority of the gays are the ones that were already in the furry fandom, which has many openly gay people.

Posted by: Richard Harney | Mar 17, 2014 8:44:51 PM

5. I swear the North Caroina State Motto ought to be: "North Carolina, where hate comes from." This is a prime example of why, rather than protect the bullied, lets punish him and enable the bullies. Disgusting.

Posted by: Sean | Mar 17, 2014 8:53:10 PM

6. If a lunchbox "triggers" bullying, then why doesn't bullying trigger some suspensions and expulsions?

Posted by: Randy | Mar 17, 2014 8:57:03 PM

7. I wonder if the school officials think mini skirts and makeup "trigger" rape? Perhaps banks, with all that money lying around, are "triggering" armed robbery?

Posted by: ozu | Mar 17, 2014 9:27:17 PM

8. Remember the recent story about a gay man attacked in the subway? How they weren't able to return a punch? Remember some of the comments here...how "he acted like a girl"? That's the kind of misogynistic language still culturally accepted, that even the more progressive types here use. Until the misogyny -- latent in everyone, including liberals (including me) -- stops, the bullying will continue.

And what kind of society would we rather have? A friendship-building, kind and non-violent society? Or a I'm-tough-and-can-beat-the-sh1t-out-of-you society?

Posted by: Jude | Mar 17, 2014 10:29:14 PM

9. I'd like to take My Little Pony backpack and bash it over the heads of those bullies.*

*Bricks not included.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Mar 17, 2014 11:59:30 PM

10. This will only embolden the bullies. Taking their side gives them the green light to escalate. Incredibly stupid.

Posted by: JJ | Mar 18, 2014 1:53:03 AM

11. I agree with Bill, above.

Posted by: Julius | Mar 18, 2014 3:13:27 AM

12. Ozu, schools do think mini skirts and make up cause rape. School aged girls have their bodies and wardrobes policed by schools so they don't "distract" boys. Schools always place the burden of stopping abusive behavior on the victims of that behavior.

Posted by: JMC | Mar 18, 2014 3:43:59 AM

13. Grayson Bruce? GRAYSON BRUCE!?! It's not the backpack, it's the NAME! Are you sure this story isn't from The Onion?

Posted by: tomkitten | Mar 18, 2014 5:30:05 AM

14. Here is what religion folks don't get: if it were a Jesus backpack would be ok ? One can say My Little Pony isn't a religious figure. The reply could be with the First Amendment. Just because one person has a religious belief to flaunt doesnt mean everyone else must not be allowed the same freedom to do or wear what makes them happy. I am sure those who are uncomfortable with this situation are conservative Christians.

Posted by: Corey Mondello | Mar 18, 2014 7:33:37 AM

15. Wonderful mother, brave young kid. This hits uncomfortably close to home. I was that kid in the 1980s. I liked many of the "wrong" toys. I didnt' like war toys, or guns. I liked magic. I liked horses. My Little Pony were magical horses. I loved them. And for a few short years I got to play with them with my older sister. And then I was informed that I wasn't supposed to like Girl Things. I was shamed, and made to feel embarrassed about it. "What are the boys at school going to say when they find out you played with My Little Ponys?" Incidentally - the first insults that came my way as a kid, and lord did they start early with me, was "GIRL" - as in, calling me a girl. Because that's the worst thing in the world, right? It's what straight anti-gay bigots do, and this site's closeted anonymous homosexual coward trolls do, as well. Misogyny is taught, young. And it's appalling.

Informing a child that their instincts are "wrong" - for no intelligent reason - simply because "well, lots of stupid low-thinkers are going to make fun of you for this, so since they'll make fun of you you should stop." It's a message that cuts too deep, too soon, and leaves lasting scars that take concentrated effort to heal and get over.

"don't play with those girls toys. here, have this gun"

welcome a world culture that praises a brand of "masculinity" that all too frequently externalizes itself in senseless acts of destructive violence.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 18, 2014 2:01:16 PM

16. It seems this school would rather tell 1 student what he can't wear instead of teaching all students a bullying lesson. Shame on this school!

Posted by: Reality | Mar 19, 2014 7:19:36 AM