Barilla | News

NYT Illustrated Tribute to Barilla Pasta Says Gays Have Accepted Chairman's Apology, 'Boycott Has Ended'

1_barilla

A tribute to the wonders of Barilla pasta which reads more like an ad than an illustrated piece of editorial in the 'Opinion Pages' of the New York Times claims that gay people are totally fine with Chairman Guido Barilla's apology for his remarks about gay people and that "the boycott has ended."

Mr. Barilla caused a firestorm of international outrage over his remarks on an Italian radio show, in which he said:

“I would never do an advert with a homosexual family…if the gays don’t like it they can go an eat another brand.

“For us the concept of the sacred family remains one of the fundamental values of the company.”

He added: “Everyone has the right to do what they want without disturbing those around them”. But then the pasta magnate upped the ante by attacking gay adoption. “I have no respect for adoption by gay families because this concerns a person who is not able to choose," he said.

Mr. Barilla apologized shortly thereafter and announced a diversity and inclusion initiative at the company.

It's unclear what that initiative has produced, though we don't believe it's the kind of forgiveness (or lesbian linguine) that this NYT article appears to suggest.

Check it out here.

2_barilla

Comments

1. dafuq? Either this is some Barilla marketing ploy or someone at the Times should be fired

Posted by: screamingqueen | Mar 17, 2014 9:12:36 AM

2. Even if it is a marketing ploy someone at the Times should be gone. You don't get to label a gimmick like this as a legitimate editorial.

And who said the gays are fine with Barilla? I never got wind of any vote.

Posted by: bkmn | Mar 17, 2014 9:15:36 AM

3. A transparently insincere apology doesn't obligate us to forgive.

Who declared an end to the boycott? Okay, so the boycott is over. I'm still not buying their product.

Posted by: Lymis | Mar 17, 2014 9:19:12 AM

4. Nobody asked me if my boycott is over. It's not. It won't be. When something leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I stop eating it.

Posted by: Mitch | Mar 17, 2014 9:24:57 AM

5. This gay is not fine with Barilla. Since there are so many other options for pasta - let's face it, the mid-level brands are numerous and you can't tell one from the other - there's no reason to go back to them. I used to buy that brand regularly, I doubt I'll buy it again. Profits would still go into that idoit's wallet. His apology was a result of the backlash, not his mind suddenly opening up to alternate families. Screw him.

Posted by: Will | Mar 17, 2014 9:26:45 AM

6. Their sales are no doubt tanking. This is just a marketing ploy and I for one won't be fooled.

Posted by: Bollox | Mar 17, 2014 9:33:12 AM

7. I don't think this post accurately describes whatever it was that the NYT published. The part about the boycott being over surprised me, and seems to be wrong. But the story/cartoon wasn't really flattering about barilla so it's wrong to call it free advertising. The basic point seems to be that barilla is huge and factory made and floods the world with its factory pasta, while handmade fresh pasta is wrongly ignored.

Posted by: Brian1 | Mar 17, 2014 9:33:44 AM

8. Is this parody? It seems they would need Barilla's approval to publish their logo. If Barilla did approve the use then it's coming across a bit too snarky.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Mar 17, 2014 9:34:46 AM

9. That first illustration? That's lesbian farfalle, not linguine.

Posted by: Mona | Mar 17, 2014 9:36:09 AM

10. There was some gay bobsledder (Italian) who had a relationship with one of the Barilla boys.

Posted by: Guido | Mar 17, 2014 9:40:08 AM

11. Ended? Officially, perhaps. But once you tell me I'm subhuman, I almost never buy anything from you again.

Especially now that it's actually unusual to be homophobic, most of my boycotts are lifelong.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 17, 2014 9:43:00 AM

12. Screw Barilla. What's the company's hiring policies? How many openly gay people work there? People of color?

The bigot still runs the company. Who knows what evil he does when the press isn't looking?

Posted by: Victor | Mar 17, 2014 9:49:13 AM

13. Screw Barilla. What's the company's hiring policies? How many openly gay people work there? People of color?

Posted by: Victor | Mar 17, 2014 9:49:14 AM

14. Not over.

Posted by: KevinVt | Mar 17, 2014 9:50:06 AM

15. I don't buy their pasta. There are so many alternatives on the shelves anyway. And I haven't stepped inside a chik-fil-a in years.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 17, 2014 10:00:34 AM

16. Not ended in my gay household. Never buying Barilla again.

Posted by: Scudder | Mar 17, 2014 10:13:01 AM

17. Nope. I eat lots of pasta -- not one box of Barilla will ever come into my house again.

Posted by: kit | Mar 17, 2014 10:13:34 AM

18. The Barilla boycott hasn't ended in my house either.

Posted by: Ernie | Mar 17, 2014 10:17:19 AM

19. Barilla pasta is now heavily discounted which may indicate diminished sales for the company. I don't buy it and won't.

Like Chik-fil-a, the Barilla brand is dead to me. I still won't shop at Target either after their support for anti-gay politicians in Michigan.

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Mar 17, 2014 10:38:49 AM

20. No Barilla for me. Boycott or no boycott, I will not be buying their products or dining in their restaurant.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Mar 17, 2014 10:39:06 AM

21. My boycott continues. I used to buy Barilla but I will never buy it again. I would not even take it if they gave it away.

I see it languishing on the shelves even at greatly reduced prices and with special placement in the store. Must be piling up. Good. I hope they have to throw it out.

Posted by: james st. james | Mar 17, 2014 10:45:39 AM

22. No! And besides, I don't buy off brands! Barilla is OFF my list.

Posted by: Frogview | Mar 17, 2014 11:04:08 AM

23. Just took my own little poll amongst friends....no one has ended their boycotts either. Hmmmmm......

Posted by: C.J. | Mar 17, 2014 11:08:41 AM

24. As for me and my family, we will serve De Cecco.

Posted by: Tim in TN | Mar 17, 2014 11:22:34 AM

25. Add me to the long list of people who still don't buy Barilla. Like the evil Chick-Fil-A, they lost a customer forever.

Posted by: Sergio | Mar 17, 2014 11:24:28 AM