NYT Illustrated Tribute to Barilla Pasta Says Gays Have Accepted Chairman’s Apology, ‘Boycott Has Ended’

1_barilla

A tribute to the wonders of Barilla pasta which reads more like an ad than an illustrated piece of editorial in the 'Opinion Pages' of the New York Times claims that gay people are totally fine with Chairman Guido Barilla's apology for his remarks about gay people and that "the boycott has ended."

Mr. Barilla caused a firestorm of international outrage over his remarks on an Italian radio show, in which he said:

“I would never do an advert with a homosexual family…if the gays don’t like it they can go an eat another brand.

“For us the concept of the sacred family remains one of the fundamental values of the company.”

He added: “Everyone has the right to do what they want without disturbing those around them”. But then the pasta magnate upped the ante by attacking gay adoption. “I have no respect for adoption by gay families because this concerns a person who is not able to choose," he said.

Mr. Barilla apologized shortly thereafter and announced a diversity and inclusion initiative at the company.

It's unclear what that initiative has produced, though we don't believe it's the kind of forgiveness (or lesbian linguine) that this NYT article appears to suggest.

Check it out here.

2_barilla

Comments

1. bkmn says

Even if it is a marketing ploy someone at the Times should be gone. You don’t get to label a gimmick like this as a legitimate editorial.

And who said the gays are fine with Barilla? I never got wind of any vote.

2. Lymis says

A transparently insincere apology doesn’t obligate us to forgive.

Who declared an end to the boycott? Okay, so the boycott is over. I’m still not buying their product.

3. Will says

This gay is not fine with Barilla. Since there are so many other options for pasta – let’s face it, the mid-level brands are numerous and you can’t tell one from the other – there’s no reason to go back to them. I used to buy that brand regularly, I doubt I’ll buy it again. Profits would still go into that idoit’s wallet. His apology was a result of the backlash, not his mind suddenly opening up to alternate families. Screw him.

4. Brian1 says

I don’t think this post accurately describes whatever it was that the NYT published. The part about the boycott being over surprised me, and seems to be wrong. But the story/cartoon wasn’t really flattering about barilla so it’s wrong to call it free advertising. The basic point seems to be that barilla is huge and factory made and floods the world with its factory pasta, while handmade fresh pasta is wrongly ignored.

5. Hey Darlin' says

Is this parody? It seems they would need Barilla’s approval to publish their logo. If Barilla did approve the use then it’s coming across a bit too snarky.

6. Randy says

Ended? Officially, perhaps. But once you tell me I’m subhuman, I almost never buy anything from you again.

Especially now that it’s actually unusual to be homophobic, most of my boycotts are lifelong.

7. Victor says

Screw Barilla. What’s the company’s hiring policies? How many openly gay people work there? People of color?

The bigot still runs the company. Who knows what evil he does when the press isn’t looking?

8. Victor says

9. Joe in Ct says

Barilla pasta is now heavily discounted which may indicate diminished sales for the company. I don’t buy it and won’t.

Like Chik-fil-a, the Barilla brand is dead to me. I still won’t shop at Target either after their support for anti-gay politicians in Michigan.

10. james st. james says

My boycott continues. I used to buy Barilla but I will never buy it again. I would not even take it if they gave it away.

I see it languishing on the shelves even at greatly reduced prices and with special placement in the store. Must be piling up. Good. I hope they have to throw it out.

11. MichaelJ says

No more Barilla for me, too.

@Randy wrote, “Ended? Officially, perhaps.” This was my thought when I first saw the illustrations, but then I asked, who would be the “officials”?

If there is some organization that called off the boycott, everyone should contact them to denounce their decision and to state that the boycott is still on.

12. Penne, No. 26 says

Back when I was poor, I used to eat Barilla. But it truly is inferior, and best left to the trailer park set. Anyway, I’ve cut back on carbs, but when I eat pasta now, I make my own.

Fresh whole-grain pasta: It’s what all the upmarket gheys are doing.

13. JJ says

Really, @Tomas? You see your fellow Europeans sneaking off to the States for some fried chicken? Your employer needs to hire American shills. We’re not stupid.

14. Mags says

@JJ agree!

No Barilla for me, like many still. Not only Mr. Barilla’s apology sounded insecere, but the tone was this side of entitled snootiness. He reminded me of those top executives we unfortunately still see, and work with, to this day who are forced into some sort of quick-fix program for their continuous harassment of female employees. Not only they don’t come out repentant and magically transformed, but they seem to also carry a grudge against all women for refusing and reporting his harassment, how dare they!

This guy has not changed, and does not seem to understand how his statement was in any way discriminate and prejudiced.

15. Alex Parrish says

My take on his apology was that he was truly sorry — that he got caught and that his bottom-line was gonna take a hit. No Barilla in my household.

16. chasmader says

I just tried calling the Public Editor at the Times and the telephone number was disconnected!

“Readers dissatisfied with a response or concerned about the paper’s journalistic integrity may reach the public editor at public@nytimes.com or (212) 556-7652.”

17. Mark J says

I’m adding my voice to those who say the boycott is most definitely still on. The fact that the NY Times would run even an opinion piece with such a glaring error (and no citation to back it at all- no LGBT Group stating the boycott’s over) speaks very badly of the veracity of the NYT. I’m sure Guido would like the gay community’s money and he’d like to cling to his hate. He can do one or the other, but until he personally comes out and apologizes unconditionally the boycott’s still in effect in this household. I live near Guerneville, CA and the Barilla section at the local Safeway is still almost untouched. We Aren’t Buying!

18. Robert says

Red flag! NYT proves it’s a corporate whore once again.

Frankly, this foodie queen isn’t touching that cheap, nasty garbage again. And after this stunt queen stun, I’ll check everytime before I eat pasta to make sure the person offering didn’t buy their pig slop. Sure, the boycott’s over, if you don’t consider a permanent ban a boycott.

19. Robert says

Red flag! NYT proves it’s a corporate whore once again.

20. *****overTX says

I have noticed that it has a large presence at the local dollar store. It has twice the shelf space of the other brands, but I have still not been convinced to buy any of their product. Once burned, twice wary!

21. Lexis says

If Guido is really sincere, then the company should do what he said they would not do and feature a gay couple/family in an advert. And I don’t mean some lameazz cartoon.

Eat RANA PASTA anyway. It’s fresh, in the deli case, and so much better.

22. Already Boycotting says

I would boycott Barilla, but we stopped buying it a long time ago, because it just isn’t very high-quality pasta. And at this point, no matter how cheap stores are selling it, I wouldn’t buy it.

I also think that if customers started moving boxes of Barilla to different parts of the store, one box at a time (or perhaps a Fettucini Flash Mob), so that employees were spending disproportionate amounts of time re-stocking Barilla, that some individual stores my re-think whether stocking Barilla was worth the trouble.

23. circuitmouse says

I didn’t get my memo confirming an end to the controversy. Not only is Barilla at risk of digging himself a deeper hole to climb out of, but he’s pulling in others, too.

..That hole is apparently prone to cave-ins, as well.