Brendan Eich | Gay Marriage | Mozilla | News

OkCupid Blocks Firefox Users Over Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich's Anti-Gay Views

Okcupid

Over the past week we've been following the outrage over the news that newly-appointed Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich donated to California's anti-gay Proposition 8 campaign. Eich's donation was revealed by a pair of gay married developers who announced they were planning to boycott Mozilla's platform in protest.

EichFollowing a rather lackluster statement from Eich in response to the controversy, several employees used Twitter to call on him to step down from his position.

Now the dating service OkCupid is blocking access to its site by users of Mozilla's Firefox browser and have posted this message to those who try to access the site on Firefox:

Hello there, Mozilla Firefox user. Pardon this interruption of your OkCupid experience.

Mozilla's new CEO, Brendan Eich, is an opponent of equal rights for gay couples. We would therefore prefer that our users not use Mozilla software to access OkCupid.

Politics is normally not the business of a website, and we all know there's a lot more wrong with the world than misguided CEOs. So you might wonder why we're asserting ourselves today. This is why: we've devoted the last ten years to bringing people—all people—together. If individuals like Mr. Eich had their way, then roughly 8% of the relationships we've worked so hard to bring about would be illegal. Equality for gay relationships is personally important to many of us here at OkCupid. But it's professionally important to the entire company. OkCupid is for creating love. Those who seek to deny love and instead enforce misery, shame, and frustration are our enemies, and we wish them nothing but failure.

If you want to keep using Firefox, the link at the bottom will take you through to the site.

However, we urge you to consider different software for accessing OkCupid:

OkCupid then provides links to other popular browsers.

On Saturday, Mozilla's blog posted a statement "to clarify Mozilla’s official support of equality and inclusion for LGBT people." Mozilla Foundation Executive Director Mark Surman posted about the controversy on his blogas did Mozilla's board chairwoman Mitchell Baker.

Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal reports that three Mozilla board members resigned over Eich's appointment though Mozilla denied reports that Eich was the reason for the board members' departure in a statement to other media outlets.

Comments

1. It was a thousand dollars, in the large scheme of things, thats a drop in the bucket, time to move on.

Posted by: thrutch | Mar 31, 2014 6:27:22 PM

2. Good move, OK Cupid. Oh, and thanks for the intro to my wonderful boyfriend!

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 31, 2014 6:28:56 PM

3. Boycott or not, pissing off your users to make a point isn't going to make them slap you on the back and say "thanks, dude, I didn't know about that". It's going to make them switch to Tinder or whatever is cool now.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 31, 2014 6:29:45 PM

4. Mozilla has a paid troll commenting on this site? Good. Glad to know they're feeling the heat.

I love the fact that essentially the entire world is not letting them get away with this. I don't need a dating site, but, if I did, it would OkCupid from here on out.

Now that is a responsible corporation.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Mar 31, 2014 6:36:01 PM

5. HE HAS NOT APOLOGIZED

HE HAS NOT SAID THAT HIS CATHOLIC CHURCH WAS WRONG TO SPONSOR PROP 8

No one should have to work or shop someplace where the boss is "on good behavior at work, but has privately supported anti-equality.

The catholic assault on equality continues, with schools insisting on "morals clauses" that explictly target Gays

Posted by: Bob K | Mar 31, 2014 6:42:46 PM

6. If anyone was "pissed off" about what OK Cupid did, it was Mozilla. Any of OK Cupid's subscribers could still go to the site, it's just that some had to read a note about what horrible things they support by helping a horrible company. We have freedom of speech. Mr. Eich is free to give to whatever cause he wants and others are free to say that's a terrible thing to do.

Posted by: steve talbert | Mar 31, 2014 6:44:18 PM

7. I protested vigorously against Prop. 8, and donated a lot of money to the cause. However, I'm uneasy with this whole thing. People should be able to donate money to whatever cause they want. The fact that we don't agree with the cause should not prevent this guy from making his own choices.

I work in the K-12 education industry. Some of the people I work with are very conservative and very religious. I would not be happy if they cancelled my contract because they discovered that I am a proponent of gay rights and marriage equality. My personal and political leanings don't affect my ability to do my job.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Stop being a bunch of hypocrites.

Posted by: Asher | Mar 31, 2014 6:48:26 PM

8. Im not aid by mozilla but will take a cheque of offered.
    I just know that some ppl donate to causes without researching what they do. Cause of a friend or they were at lecture. Some ppl just blanket donate to political causes support by their party or representative.
    He is entitled to his opinion, the day his opinion impacts mozilla policy is the day to get upset. So talk to me when he bans queers from working for him.

Posted by: thrutch | Mar 31, 2014 6:53:46 PM

9. I mean, I guess I appreciate the effort, but seriously, OKCupid? This is getting insane.

A) The dude made one donation like, what? Five years ago now? That's supposed to make him a pariah forever? Seriously?

B) He is not the only employee at Mozilla. If Mozilla "fails" (and PS, it's not going to: see below) it would hurt a bunch of people, conservative and liberal, gay and straight.

And C) Mozilla is a non-profit organization supported by grants and donations. It doesn't gain or lose anything as a result of you not being able to access OKCupid or you switching to Chrome or whatever other nonsense you armchair activists are thinking of.

I'm all for boycotting to make a political point, but seriously, people. This boycott is potentially even stupider than the Stoli one. Think about this stuff before taking rash and ridiculous actions. You're making all of us look bad.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 31, 2014 6:59:14 PM

10. I'm not saying being gay automatically makes you care for gay rights....but are we really arguing over what OK did?

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 31, 2014 7:01:05 PM

11. Asher, we're not preventing him from doing anything. But actions have consequences and he's getting much deserved backlash because of his actions. There's nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: Will | Mar 31, 2014 7:01:05 PM

12. ASHER: Thank you for your work in this area. However, I respectfully disagree. Eich claimed that his donation was "personal". But that's just the ironic point: choosing to fight SOMEONE ELSE'S marriage isn't personal, it's political and fascist at that.

Posted by: DavidR | Mar 31, 2014 7:01:38 PM

13. TRUTCH, if you are an intelligent person who managed to climb that high BUT you don't do research on who you give money to, then you should NOT be head of a powerful company...or ANY company.

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 31, 2014 7:02:44 PM

14. Mozilla's blog seems to be modeled on the company's openness and transparency: It does not allow user comments!

Posted by: Martin | Mar 31, 2014 7:02:46 PM

15. I fully support the sentiment and agree he, and now the company, have to address the matter. That said, telling me which browser to use is a good way to stop me using your site, so they shouldn't be surprised if they see a decline in use from Firefox users.

Posted by: Knock | Mar 31, 2014 7:03:26 PM

16. @THURTCH: It was not "an opinion" it was a specific action to deny human rights to other people.

Posted by: DavidR | Mar 31, 2014 7:04:27 PM

17. @Thrutch: Eich hasn't said he donated because he was ignorant, or was with a friend, or was misled by a lecture. Nor was his donation to a party or representative. Why are you furiously erecting straw man arguments?

Mozilla can either accept the consequences of Eich's bigotry, or figure out a way to get rid of him. Those are pretty much the only choices.

In neither case will anyone have interfered with Eich's right to have an opinion, which he is certainly free to hold and express, knowing that such expressions have repercussions.

Posted by: Vint | Mar 31, 2014 7:04:43 PM

18. I'm not sure why commenters keep saying, He should be entitled to his opinion, and, He should be able to donate to whichever (civil rights depriving) cause he wants. He did both. No one prevented him from doing either.

Now, people and businesses who--unlike Mr. Eich--support marriage equality have an equal opportunity to exercise their right to speak out and act on their values. He has a right to an opinion. He doesn't have a right to have his public actions go unchallenged if others find them reprehensible.

As for him not knowing what he was donating to: BS. If that were the case, he's had a couple of years to say, Oops, my bad. He hasn't.

I'm not in the market for OkCupid, but it speaks well of them to take this stance.

Posted by: Ernie | Mar 31, 2014 7:08:07 PM

19. Mr. Eich has a right to believe in and to donate to any cause he chooses. But actions have consequences. By selecting him as their CEO, Mozilla is now facing these consequences.

Hiring a bigot as your CEO reflects poorly on a company, and their business should suffer as a result of their decision to hire him. Imagine the outrage if he'd donated to some white supremacy organization or an anti-Semitic group. The Prop 8 campaign was hateful and designed to take away a civil right that had already been granted. I don't care how little money he donated or how long ago it took place. There's no statute of limitations for supporting hate and bigotry. Mozilla must deal with the repercussions of hiring this man.

I've never used OK Cupid, but I love what they did. I've removed Firefox from my computer.

Posted by: Robert | Mar 31, 2014 7:27:17 PM

20. It's great that OK Cupid is taking a stand for us against Firefox but I don't understand why GOOGLE and FACEBOOK get a free pass ?
    GOOGLE and FACEBOOK are way worse than Firefox yet no one is even talking about them.

GOOGLE and FACEBOOK have been giving millions of dollars to A.L.E.C. - the right wing extremist forum that develops insane right wing policies for the Republican Party - anti-gay, anti-women, anti-black, anti-latino, anti-choice policies. They are using their money to lobby for an end to food stamps, social security, Medicaid and Medicare. They have been involved in many of the laws that have pushed minority voters off the voter registration list.

We need to be boycotting GOOGLE and FACEBOOK as well as Firefox and screaming it out loud so more people become educated.

Posted by: Icebloo | Mar 31, 2014 7:33:46 PM

21. As previously noted (again): I have removed Firefox from all three of my computers and will not use the browser until Mozilla removes Eich and apologizes to the gay community. You can do the same. Simply delete Firefox and use another browser, there are many of them.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Mar 31, 2014 8:07:18 PM

22. Not really sure how I feel about this...

Posted by: Vera | Mar 31, 2014 8:10:17 PM

23. I would put okcupid on my "don't use under any circumstances" list. This has nothing to do with Eich or gay rights, but with general principles regarding how the Internet works. It is arrogant beyond belief for a web site to dictate to users which browser they should use. If that behavior became widespread, the web would go down the toilette and become unusable.

I'll refer interested readers to RFC 2616. Here's a quote from it (and note that it was not put into the protocol for purposes of denying users access to web sites or to facilitate harassing users):

14.43 User-Agent

The User-Agent request-header field contains information about the user agent originating the request. This is for statistical purposes, the tracing of protocol violations, and automated recognition of user agents for the sake of tailoring responses to avoid particular user agent limitations.

[ the term User-Agent in this case refers to the browser one is using ]

Posted by: Bill | Mar 31, 2014 8:13:04 PM