Austin | Crime | News

Dentist Gives Gay Hate Crime Victim Free Six-Figure Dental Reconstruction: VIDEO

Dentist

Some of you may recall the anti-gay attack which took place in Austin, Texas in September 2012 targeting Andrew Oppelman and his friend Nick Soret while they were waiting for a slice of pizza from a mobile food truck in the Warehouse District.

A_oppelmanOppelman had nine teeth knocked out in the attack.

But a good samaritan has since stepped in, KVUE reports:

An Austin dentist who heard about the story wanted to help Oppelman. Dr. Gary Cash, D.D.S. stepped in, and for a year and a half has provided free dental reconstruction, including implants for Oppelman.

On Friday, Oppelman got to see his new upper implants, which gives him more of a reason to smile.

“It's just been hard on the inside more for me than the outside, not because of how people see me, but how I feel about myself,” said Oppelman.

Cash said he did the procedure for free because Austin has given so much to him in the three years the Detroit native has lived here. “People have been so warm and welcoming to me here. I figured that's not the way someone should be treated from out of town,” said Dr. Cash. The dentist also says that the Victim’s Relief Fund helped to pay for a huge portion of the work which would cost six figures.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Crime_austin

Comments

1. I'm not religious but God bless that dentist!

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Mar 6, 2014 1:35:42 PM

2. Just wonderful!

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Mar 6, 2014 1:41:32 PM

3. Now that is a positive feel-good story. Bravo to the dentist and may the courts lock that animal away for a very long time.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 6, 2014 1:41:47 PM

4. It's a great deed...and good business sense.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 6, 2014 1:45:50 PM

5. What a splendid gesture from a man with his heart in the right place! I wish Andrew & Nick a speedy recovery - especially mentally, & hope that they can put their horrible experience behind them for the rest of their lives. I just wanted to say that before the usual suspects come crawling by to stink up this comment box. Comments here have become so negative & poisonous over the past few months that I hardly want to contribute my thoughts anymore.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Mar 6, 2014 1:50:55 PM

6. Wow! That is a great story. Speaks to the wonderfulness that exists in Austin.

Posted by: Mitch | Mar 6, 2014 1:52:43 PM

7. The scumbag that did this, Lambert Borgardt is free on bail awaiting trial. I guess his employer Cleo Bay Honda in Texas doesn't mind having violent criminals on their sales floor, because here he is right here:

Posted by: mike | Mar 6, 2014 2:10:06 PM

8. I agree. That's fantastic what the dentist did. I just wish ONE of these stories would turn around with one of these punks picking on the wrong gay guy. Just ONCE.

Posted by: AJ | Mar 6, 2014 2:13:36 PM

9. If I lived there - Id go to that dentist Just because he did this!!!!

Posted by: disgusted american | Mar 6, 2014 2:19:04 PM

10. If I lived there, Lambert Borgardt would be dead.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Mar 6, 2014 2:24:28 PM

11. It's great Dr Cash helped out. However, the article says most of the dental work was paid for by the victims relief fund. Those are the people who should get most of the credit, pr, and thanks.

I don't thank the hotel for providing the space for a charity function. They are paid for that. Same with florist and printer...unless its pro bono.

Posted by: steve talbert | Mar 6, 2014 2:28:35 PM

12. Just to let you know: Cleo Bay, the Honda dealer that employs Lambert Borgardt as a salesman, lists email addresses for all staff but have conveniently suspended those email addresses according to the gateway that serves Cleo Bay. Probably because of the overwhelming number of email complaints. As far as I know their phone number still works should you wish to tell them how you feel about their employment of Mr. Borgardt. 888-703-8910

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Mar 6, 2014 2:39:35 PM

13. https://www.facebook.com/lambert.borgardt

That's his Facebook if you want to write Lambert.

Posted by: Stephen | Mar 6, 2014 3:41:26 PM

14. Dr. Cash, hmmm. That's what I've called my dentist for years and that's not his actual name.

Posted by: Perry | Mar 6, 2014 3:58:06 PM

15. Steve Talbert, the fact that the dentist did anything for free is admirable. Of course someone has to burst the bubble so it might as well be you.

Posted by: BlahBlahBlah | Mar 6, 2014 4:59:29 PM

16. Lambert took down his FB page...

I wonder if we can get him fired from his job.

Posted by: Clint | Mar 6, 2014 5:06:49 PM

17. Agreed, this guy should be free or walking around. Call him on 888-703-8910 now. Time for some real justice. Peace.

Posted by: tristram | Mar 6, 2014 5:24:21 PM

18. *should not be free

Posted by: tristram | Mar 6, 2014 5:24:41 PM

19. Great job Dr. Cash! The attacker needs to be in chains behind bars.

Posted by: reality | Mar 6, 2014 5:50:51 PM

20. @LEROY LAFLAMME: Hey, so far so good! Proud of the people in my adopted hometown of Austin who helped Andrew and Nick out--especially Dr. Cash.

As for Lambert Borgardt.

I tried calling Cleo Bay Honda just now and as soon as I told the woman (receptionist?) who answered my call why I was calling, she quickly said "We are not taking calls on this issue at this time" and hung up on me!

Methinks maybe it's time to start dinging *their* Facebook page:

Posted by: scooternva | Mar 6, 2014 6:18:10 PM

21. and when is sir laurence olivier/ christian szell going to give the attacker his own free dental work?

Posted by: jed | Mar 6, 2014 7:32:14 PM

22. I went on corporate Honda's and Cleo Bay Honda's Twitter to point out they are employing a violent accused criminal.

Posted by: mike | Mar 6, 2014 9:03:49 PM

23. The dentist said he worked for free, so I assume he did. Maybe his colleague the oral surgeon also. The implants themselves would cost thousands and that's probably what the foundation paid although of course the TV and TR reports are not clear on all of that.

Andrew also went through a LOT with the oral surgery and dentistry on top of the attack. I'm very glad he didn't have to pay besides.

Posted by: emjayay | Mar 7, 2014 2:35:21 AM