News | Oscars | Pink

Pink Sings 'Over the Rainbow' at Oscars 'Wizard of Oz' Tribute: VIDEO

Otr_pink

Pink got a standing ovation at the Academy Awards for her performance of "Over the Rainbow" at a tribute to the 75th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. fantastic

Posted by: tinhouston | Mar 2, 2014 11:11:16 PM

2. My first exposure to Pink.

And my last. Ugh.

Posted by: Bingo | Mar 2, 2014 11:19:22 PM

3. O------ ver

Posted by: unruly | Mar 2, 2014 11:22:17 PM

4. Somewhere Oh...Vertha Rainbow

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 2, 2014 11:27:50 PM

5. Don't get me wrong, I like the woman's voice but why of why on earth would you wear a dress cut so low as to expose those God-awful flat boobs? She is an attractive woman. I have to ask myself, "What are you thinking? Do you seriously believe the exposure gives you sex appeal?"

I did, very much, enjoy Ellen's diss at the beginning of the show expressing how well the male female impersonator impersonating Liza looked. Of all the gowns and dresses Liza (as well as her sister) look pretty ridiculous. Where was Joey? Always public shy, the one true love of Judy, it would have been nice to see her son Joey. He may have been there but I did not get a glimpse. I will review the video. I have to wonder why they didn't perform at the Oscars. Apparently they were simply invited and to invited to sing. Lorna has a lovely voice while Liza's, at this stage in life, is only a character of her once glorious self.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Mar 2, 2014 11:27:56 PM

6. They didn't even have Judy's kids on stage! Very lame. Pink overdid the song, no pathos.

Posted by: joel | Mar 2, 2014 11:28:05 PM

7. Sad Towelroad bitches strike again.

Posted by: AZXPAT | Mar 2, 2014 11:30:27 PM

8. Poor Idina Menzel. John Travolta called her Adele Dazeem and Ellen called her "Eye"dina Menzel.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 2, 2014 11:36:18 PM

9. I usually like Pink but this just did not work. I would have rather had a drunk Liza and Lorna.

Posted by: don't a tell la | Mar 3, 2014 12:02:28 AM

10. That was not a great performance, and that audience was standing for everything. Bette Midler was just okay, Idina Menzel was forced, U2 was....U2, and they all got the audience to its feet. Standing ovations are pretty meaningless now.

Posted by: Bryan | Mar 3, 2014 12:03:15 AM

11. Pink has a great voice but not right for this song. Lana Del Rey would have been a better fit.

Posted by: Gonzo | Mar 3, 2014 12:10:49 AM

12. Absolutely horrible phrasing. She sang it like some first-round reject on American Idol--no sense of the words or the structure of the lyrics in her phrasing. Awful.

Posted by: Tatts | Mar 3, 2014 12:11:47 AM

13. I TOTALLY love PINK. She was the wrong choice for that song.

Maybe Kristen Chenowith, or even Anna Kendrick who was already there. It needed vulnerability that just wasn't there.

Posted by: pete n sfo | Mar 3, 2014 12:36:22 AM

14. Definitely odd phrasing choices, but I thought she sounded great. Better than Idina or Bette at least. Also the song that carried the most pressure for the night.

Posted by: Chip | Mar 3, 2014 12:37:27 AM

15. I can't believe Bette Midler's 68. She sounded decent. Liza's about the same age and her voice is shot -- proabably the booze and the drugs?

Posted by: will | Mar 3, 2014 12:51:26 AM

16. Pink is not a vocalist by any stretch of the imagination.

Posted by: roger | Mar 3, 2014 1:01:48 AM

17. Oh Pink, I do love you but that "o... *take breath* ...ver the rainbow" thing you were doing was awful. Come on, girl, you're a far-better singer than that.

Posted by: DRoseDARs | Mar 3, 2014 1:06:26 AM

18. Pink seems to be a cool person with generous ideas about life, and certainly about gay people. Still, she's kind of a down-low type, kinda cheesy and not very talented at all, as this rendition of a famous song shows. The real value of a great many public "entertainment" figures is not that they actually have extraordinary skills, but that they stand for and express liberating ideas of potentially great value to people who want to live better and more liberated lives.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 3, 2014 1:20:29 AM

19. Should have had Kristin Chenoweth sing it instead of Pink. Pink is a good singer but she is a pop singer foremost and they cannot typically do long phrases or have a wide range.

Idina seemed off tonight too. Maybe it sounded better there but on the TV, she sounded like a banshee.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 3, 2014 1:25:30 AM

20. Judy told Liza to NEVER sings her songs no matter how much they beg. Liza has always stuck to what her mother said. Pink did well. Not the best version but, not the worst either. And it could have been worse...Xtina could have warbled all over it..."SomeWHERE-eeeYA-eeYYAA-ohhhOHHHHH-I said OhhhOOOWWWoooha--ver the raAAAAAAAAAIIIIINbow-eeYO-ee-YO-eeYO!!!"

Posted by: tsk tsk tsk | Mar 3, 2014 1:38:50 AM

21. Merely adequate...Pink is No Judy! And Barely a 'tribute' to Oz...more just a ploy to sell more blu-rays for the 75th anniversary.
    Nice to see the kids together, though, if only in the audience...they Should have been on the stage, and allowed to at least say a few words on their mother's behave.
    Judy...screwed by the Academy once again!

^^X^^

Posted by: Bruce Wayne | Mar 3, 2014 1:46:39 AM

22. I just could not watch the Oscars tonight. I was sure they would find a way to sneak Beyonce into the performance. She is the most over-hyped and over-exposed performer of our time. She is EVERYWHERE and I am sick of her.

A few years ago the artists who were nominated for best song at the Oscars were not allowed to perform their own songs. They got Beyonce to sing them all. Just disgraceful. These artists may never get a chance to perform at an Oscars ceremony again but Beyonce pushed them all out so she could make it all about her. What a horrible human being. What's worse is we all know she lip-syncs and can't sing live !

Posted by: Icebloo | Mar 3, 2014 1:56:44 AM

23. The Oscars producers were disrespectful to the memory of Judy Garland.

Posted by: roger | Mar 3, 2014 2:46:40 AM

24. I must be loosing my hearing.. I thought Pinks singing was pretty good. It was Bette Midler's song that made me scratch the walls! All this hype about Bette performing and she turns out to be the funeral director after the dead people announced..

Posted by: TonyC | Mar 3, 2014 3:04:18 AM

25. Wow! There are some very bitter sad queens out there. Reading through most of these comments all I can think of of is Beaker from the Muppets. And endless array of meaningless dribble. Just less funny.

Posted by: MD75 | Mar 3, 2014 4:53:08 AM