Fred Phelps | News | Shirley Phelps-Roper | Westboro Baptist Church

Westboro Baptist Church Pastor Fred Phelps 'on the Edge of Death' According to Son

Fred_phelps

Fred Phelps Sr., pastor the Westboro Baptist Church, is near death, according to a message posted to Facebook by his estranged son Nathan:

I've learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the "God Hates Fags" Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the "church" back in August of 2013. He is now on the edge of death at Midland Hospice house in Topeka, Kansas.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made.

I feel sad for all the hurt he's caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I'm bitterly angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing him, and saying their good-byes.

NatephelpsNate Phelps, as you may recall, left the church and became an LGBT advocate.

Nate appeared on an interview a few years ago which revealed quite a bit about the church:

"In his first in-depth television interview, he tells journalist Peter W. Klein about a childhood dominated by a fear of going to hell, and says the Westboro Baptist Church shares some of the same traits as a cult. Phelps says his father regularly beat his mother and 11 siblings, used racial epithets and blamed the world’s problems on homosexuality....In the interview, Phelps says that his father was once a brilliant and well-respected lawyer who led several anti-segregation cases and was honoured by the NAACP as a civil rights hero. Nate Phelps now considers himself an atheist."

You can watch the interview HERE.

Patheos adds, of the news about Fred Phelps:

I just got off the phone with Nate and he confirmed what he had written. The rumors had been flying for several weeks, he said, but after a conversation with some of his fellow “excommunicated” family members, he found out that the rumors were true. He elaborated on that final line, too, saying that the Phelps family is now blocking anyone who is no longer with the church from seeing him, including Fred’s sons, daughters, nieces, and nephews.

Why was he kicked out of his own church? Did he have a change of heart near the end of his life? There’s no definitive answer to that and Nate has heard different things (so any explanation is pure speculation right now).

Comments

1. Why? Stupid is as stupid does.

Posted by: Joel | Mar 16, 2014 12:03:09 PM

2. I doubt they can legally bar next of kin from seeing him.

Posted by: JJ | Mar 16, 2014 12:15:24 PM

3. For the past several years I've thought he looked more creepy than The Adams Family and The Monsters combined. He will soon be spinning on a pig roast in his own hell that he so believed in. I hope he ends up next to Jerry Falwell. They should have plenty to talk about in between bar-b-que's.

Posted by: Jere | Mar 16, 2014 12:18:30 PM

4. I can't wait to piss on his grave.

Posted by: David | Mar 16, 2014 12:24:52 PM

5. 'Excommunicated' from his own Church? That begs for details.
    Sorry for your life of hurt as that man's son Nathan but not sorry to see him go.

Posted by: RayRay | Mar 16, 2014 12:29:24 PM

6. Probably excommunicated for having sex with too many of his kids or grandkids. The guy was sick. May his death be extremely painful.

Posted by: Macmantoo | Mar 16, 2014 12:37:11 PM

7. JJ, "next of kin" is a singular person, not a category of persons. Nathan has no rights to see his father or participate in discussions of his end of life care, I believe his wife Margie is still alive. If she is, she is his next of kin and would have complete control both of his medical care and who can and cannot see him. If she is dead or incapable of making those decisions, I'm sure the family has vested the position of next of kin in Shirley Phelps-Roper, his daughter and current leader of the church. Neither of which would have any reason to include Nathan or any other former church member in this process.

Posted by: Jonathan | Mar 16, 2014 12:40:28 PM

8. Oh, that Hell, old man, that you preached about? Burn in it, in perpetuity.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Mar 16, 2014 12:42:43 PM

9. Is it bad that my first thought was "YAY! Good riddens!"? I certainly don't wish any ill will to another human being (Yes even Fred),but it felt good knowing his days are still coming to an end soon. I suppose it's the emotion I've felt reading his signs at a gay pride event in the 90's and listening to the words of hate his family spewed from their mouths personally.

Posted by: HAHA-NO | Mar 16, 2014 12:46:51 PM

10. My first thought was, "May that filth-riddled hate-mongering sewer of humanity burn in hell.". And then I thought that's not very Christian of me... Wait, I'm not Christian. May his legacy disappear with him, may it be forever forgotten, and may we never hear of this excuse and absurdity of a human being again.

Oh wait, how much do you wanna bet that Sarah Palin or any of her Tea- crazy ilk will start touting his "ground-breaking" preaching and godly love for Sainthood.

Posted by: Mags | Mar 16, 2014 12:55:11 PM

11. @Jonathan, thanks for the explanation!

Posted by: JJ | Mar 16, 2014 12:56:26 PM

12. Well, despite the inner angst and rage that the mere mention of his name provokes, we should all take the high road and wish his family well as they struggle to deal with his eventual passing and how it will manifest personally within their lives.

While a monster to the world, to his spouse and loved ones he is a close and dear family member and will be missed. We should be respectful of this strange, peculiar dichotomy that is his reality.

Let us all try to be our better angels. Now more than ever.

Posted by: Jim in Colo Spgs | Mar 16, 2014 1:01:14 PM

13. When you start by hating everybody, you end up hating everybody, even you family.

Posted by: Armando | Mar 16, 2014 1:01:38 PM

14. Odd how things come about sometimes.

One article about extreme homophobe Fred Phelps dying followed by another one about hugging homophobes.

Humanizing homophobia. Putting a human face to an idealized hate. That's what turns hearts more than anything else. All the religious & political rhetoric melts away when the person you've been taught to hate is standing there in front of you as another human being. Your childhood friend. Your co-worker. Or is seen as the young civil rights fighter. Or as someone's father. And finally as an old man lying in a Hospice bed dying.

Is Fred Phelps really no more than the hate he sewed? If we actually witness an old man lay dying in a Hospice bed and think of him as nothing more than the hurt he caused we've failed in our humanity. We need to forgive him. Forgiveness breaks the bonds of hate that hold us back. Show up at Fred Phelps funeral not with signs of hate but with signs that say 'we forgive you.'

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Mar 16, 2014 1:05:03 PM

15. He is soon to meet his angry, hating, militant, uncaring, terrorist god.

Posted by: trees | Mar 16, 2014 1:11:23 PM

16. Phelps is a disgrace to Protestants everywhere. I'm praying that he repents of his terrible sinfulness and rebellion against God's Word.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Mar 16, 2014 1:13:04 PM

17. I will miss him as a demonstration of true Christian belief. The Bible says we should be stoned to death, and Phelps was at least honest about that and didn't try to reconcile his atrocious faith with a more enlightened reality like the ridiculous milquetoast religious moderates that are far more prevalent and dangerous.

Posted by: Zell | Mar 16, 2014 1:14:35 PM

18. how does one get excommunicated from a church they created

Posted by: Moz | Mar 16, 2014 1:16:04 PM

19. I sure hope he had a change of heart. If not, he's in for a big surprise.

Posted by: SeattleMike | Mar 16, 2014 1:20:50 PM

20. I forgive you Fred Phelps.

I will never forget the evil you stood for while alive nor will I stop fighting those that think like you while wearing other masks but I do forgive you. Go meet your Maker's judgement.

Nathan. My condolences for the life you've had to live and admiration for the remarkable turnaround you've been able to achieve despite it.

Posted by: BOOM! | Mar 16, 2014 1:27:39 PM

21. @Moz, it's more like a Board Committee type elections: when you haven't been spouting a certain number of absurdities, and attained a preset degree of hatred and ridiculous abject phobia in a given trimester, you automatically lose your place to the next in line in the race for guessing/psyching "god's" thoughts unto the weak gullibles.

Yes, there are places where "hearing voices in my head" is regarded as the summit of lucidity.

Posted by: Mags | Mar 16, 2014 1:29:18 PM

22. So long Fred Phelps. Don't let the door hit on your way out

Posted by: Christopher King | Mar 16, 2014 1:38:28 PM

23. GOD IS JUST SO ANXIOUS TO HAVE SUCH A SOUL ON HIS RIGHT SIDE. PRAISE JESUS.

It's a shame that such a decrepit people would be taken from all the "GOOD WORK" he's been doing. Maybe GOD hates him?? Who's up for picketing his funeral??

Also:

@JONATHAN

"next of kin" can be plural or singular. It's like the word "family." One can say, "he is my only family," (singular) or "they are all my family," (plural). "Families" would refer to multiple groups of people.

Similarly, there are no "next of kins." The word is open and categorical if, for example, we don't know who the person or persons are. It is singular if we do and address them individually.

Posted by: Serge | Mar 16, 2014 2:04:38 PM

24. @Serge, now that is a BRILLIANT idea. People in his area should definitely picket his funeral! How about "God loves all his LGBT children", "God does not discriminate", "God was Gay for your love!"... Any other suggestions for picket signs should we picket the old homophobe's burial.

Posted by: Mags | Mar 16, 2014 2:16:06 PM

25. @Mags
    To those advocating a funeral protest stop and think. You are stooping to the level of the very thing you despised about Westboro. For me that is unconscionable. Stay away from the funeral. Leave the family to deal with their loss however they choose to handle it.

Let history show that those Fred Phelps worked to victimize took a higher road.

Posted by: RayRay | Mar 16, 2014 2:23:59 PM