Amy Poehler | Billy Eichner | News | Television | Video

Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Play Pitbull Prank on New Yorkers: VIDEO

Pitbull-poehler

Billy Eichner is the host of Billy on the Street, a comedy pop quiz show on fuse where the titular host accosts New Yorkers with random trivia questions for the chance to win cash prizes, all amidst madcap antics such as destroying a car with Lindsay Lohan or panicking over the end of How I Met Your Mother at strangers while accompanied by Neil Patrick Harris. Despite the show having made it to its third season, an interview on Vulture.com notes that it hasn't gained much traction with gay audiences.

Eichner's thoughts in part on why:

There’s still a lack of awareness about the show in certain mainstream circles, and outside of the independently, culturally minded urban gay man, the general gay population is out there watching Bravo, and I’m not on Bravo. I’m actually in the comedy community much more than I am in the gay community at this point in terms of my public persona — I don’t mean in my personal life. And I think the comedy community is largely a heterosexual community, although it's getting a little bit more gay.

You can read the interview at Vulture.com and watch a new clip in which Amy Poehler masquerades as Pitbull AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Maybe it has hasn't gained traction with gay audiences because the host and his actions are irritating?

Posted by: a theory | Apr 23, 2014 8:10:32 PM

2. Or? Wild guess here: he's annoying, not funny. What is less than a one-trick-pony? An amputee pony.
    Ha-not-ha.
    Get a day job!

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Apr 23, 2014 8:34:17 PM

3. Anarchic, extemporaneos, in the moment, I like it.

Posted by: orwoodsman | Apr 23, 2014 8:47:40 PM

4. If he was actually funny, he'd be noted in the gay community. He isn't, so he's not. Don't insult my intelligence to make up for your lack of comedic appeal.

Posted by: basementmatt | Apr 23, 2014 8:50:37 PM

5. "I'm recurring, I'm recurring!" Love him.

Posted by: David | Apr 23, 2014 8:59:22 PM

6. I usually think his running in the streets schtick is funny but this one wasn't particularly and after the same thing 20 times it isn't as funny as the first time.

Posted by: MIke | Apr 23, 2014 9:29:19 PM

7. Don't understand all the hate for him in the comments lol. I think some people hear need to take a chill pill :)

Personally I usually like his frantic on-the-street routines.

Posted by: Paul | Apr 23, 2014 10:13:43 PM

8. Also... I cannot believe I just wrote hear instead of here.

I'm tired today :(

Posted by: Paul | Apr 23, 2014 10:14:10 PM

9. "There’s still a lack of awareness about the show in certain mainstream circles, and outside of the independently, culturally minded urban gay man, the general gay population is out there watching Bravo, and I’m not on Bravo"

"Really? Really? Really" -Amy Poehler, Weekend Update sketch, SNL

If you're not funny, and just ignominiously unfunny and entirely, ingratiatingly, petulantly and predictably annoying, even your fellow gays will drop you like yesterday's catchphrase. Bravo? Really? The Andy Blandy Cohen Network? Hardly. Watching 'Three's Company' reruns, followed by 'Supertrain' and 'Manimal' marathons is far more entertaining, and absolutely less predictable.

"there should be a stupidity tax........"

Posted by: vwdavy | Apr 23, 2014 10:23:54 PM

10. I didn't realize that all gay eyes were glued to Bravo and were not part of the "comedy community". The things i learn here.

Posted by: Little Twatti | Apr 24, 2014 5:18:05 AM

11. Billy Ickner. nuff said.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 24, 2014 5:45:43 AM

12. The problem is that gays on blogs in the media only talk about who they want and fair enough, it's THEIR blog but why this has anything to do with what a vast community likes I'm not sure which therein lies the issues I have with 'community' and 'my people'.

His beef should be with After Elton which is supposed to research and write about everything that is gay related, be it a person or the content.

When thenewgay tried to work for another side of the gay community, people were so vile, weird and angry in the comments that it wasn't worth their energy. But that is the mainstream (gay/straight) for you, they hate anyone different.

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 24, 2014 9:32:01 AM

13. Y'all need to lighten up. Your irritation at the character is much of the point.

Posted by: L | Apr 24, 2014 9:50:30 AM

14. 'if it's not joan rivers or kathy griffin it's not funny to me as a gay man' -SHUTTHEFUCKUP! HE"S FUNNY!

Posted by: Harris | Apr 24, 2014 10:35:02 AM

15. love this

Posted by: reality | Apr 24, 2014 11:07:55 AM

16. Maybe it's because the gay community no longer finds a Paul Linde style loud, obnoxious and irritating house faggot even vaguely amusing, but straights still enjoy this type of 'humour'.
    "Independent, culturally minded gay man" my ass.

Posted by: Rolf | Apr 24, 2014 11:53:32 AM