Allen Ginsburg | Bruce LaBruce | Film | News

Bruce LaBruce’s New Film About An 18-Year Old Falling For An 81-Year Old: VIDEO

11528838039622.E3T5BgPuzUGAHLspvcri_height640

Writer, filmmaker and provocateur Bruce LaBruce has debuted the trailer for his new film, “Gerontophilia,” that follows an 18-year old boy, Lake, as he realizes he has a fetish for older men and subsequently takes a job at a retirement home. Once there, Lake falls for the 81-year old Mr. Peabody and breaks him free from the shackles of assisted living once he learns that the facility is purposefully over-medicating their patients. LaBruce told Vocativ.com that the film was inspired by his friend Marcus Ewert, who began a love affair at seventeen with the much older famous Beat poet Allen Ginsberg:

"I liked the notion that, in a way, [Ewert] had sacrificed himself on the altar of these great artists by offering his body and soul to them. But beyond that, I was sure he also found them sexually stimulating because of their wisdom and stature, and also because he felt an empathy for someone in that stage of their life who might not have easy access to the sexual vigor of the youthful and the beautiful."

Read part of Vocativ's interview with LaBruce (which can be found in full HERE) and watch the trailer for “Gerontophilia” along with a clip where Lake and Mr. Peabody play a drunken game of strip poker, AFTER THE JUMP…

INTERVIEW

Tell me about the casting process. How did you go bout finding your two protagonists?

In my script for Gerontophilia, the characters, as written, were 18 and 81, so I really wanted to cast actors pretty much the same age as the characters in order to give the movie a super-gerontophile effect. I cast both actors, 18-year-old Pier-Gabriel Lajoie, who is straight, and 81-year-old Walter Borden, who is gay, through casting agents. PG had a very innocent and sweet and tender quality, which was consistent with his character of Lake. He is also very beautiful, which adds a nice irony to his gerontophilia—he is the ultimate object of desire in a society which overvalues youth and beauty, and yet his sexual choice is for the elderly, who are not considered sexually attractive. Walter is also a very handsome, charismatic man, and I think he’s sexy. He proves that elders can be sexy. [...]

Excerpted from Vocativ.com

Comments

1. Oh Christ.

Posted by: Robert | Apr 9, 2014 9:54:56 PM

2. So like Harold and Maude, except not interesting.

Posted by: Gregoire | Apr 9, 2014 10:12:42 PM

3. I prefer the 18 year old.

Posted by: Merv | Apr 9, 2014 10:22:17 PM

4. I read the headline and thought it was about calvin kline

Posted by: Homo Genius | Apr 9, 2014 10:28:24 PM

5. Hope that happens to me!

Posted by: Deen | Apr 9, 2014 11:14:21 PM

6. Rather tame looking by LaBruce standards. Great use of OMD's song, though.

Posted by: Lucca | Apr 9, 2014 11:28:57 PM

7. Walter looks pretty good for 81.

Posted by: Dean | Apr 9, 2014 11:51:04 PM

8. definitely gross. until im 81, then ill argue for it.

Posted by: okso | Apr 10, 2014 12:38:26 AM

9. Some of the comments in this section only serve to prove the point of the movie. I find the concept fascinating simply because it is a little "uncomfortable." Why is it uncomfortable? We see younger men with older men quite a bit. What makes this different? I like the provocative tone and the exploration of the nature of sex and love and how it often doesn't fit our comfort zones. If possible, I'll see this movie when it when it comes to my area.

Posted by: Don in ATL | Apr 10, 2014 1:21:07 AM

10. I think this is a really cool idea. And the kid is HOT!

Posted by: Mick | Apr 10, 2014 1:31:41 AM

11. Can't wait to see it, looks like it has real soul and humor.

Posted by: Buckie | Apr 10, 2014 3:22:47 AM

12. another attempt by fagets to portray the gay community as abnormal. Why on earth would you make such a dusgusting film? Shame on You!! Totally abhorrent. Maybe there is one or two mentally deranged kid out there but why glorify this psychiatric disease. You are the enemy of gay rights.

Posted by: ewew | Apr 10, 2014 3:29:33 AM

13. Is this a biopic of Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black?

Posted by: MaryM | Apr 10, 2014 4:21:21 AM

14. Reminds me...
    I had a friend back in the late 70's who, at the time, was about 23 years old. He was as hot/handsome as the day is long. He was in Interview magazine a few times. Anyhow, he was totally obsessed with much older men (men in their 50's and 60's). We spent a summer in Ptown and he met a guy one day at the Boatslip T Dance and fell head over heels in love (the guy was approaching 60). That was the beginning of a lengthy, many year relationship between the two of them. They were inseparable. None of us really understood it, but my friend had zero sexual interest in men his own age.

Posted by: Jerramy | Apr 10, 2014 4:35:49 AM

15. Clever concept!
    Age and beauty are the minefields of gay life (or any life, I guess. Women suffer mightily.)
    I dunno why?
    My grandma always said, "I never met anyone who was growing young…"
    I'll have to ask my husband's opinion. He's 18 years my junior. Together 18 years!

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Apr 10, 2014 7:18:49 AM

16. Had the film attempted to create a gerontophiliac perspective for the viewer -- if the camera's eye had treated the older an object of desire -- it could have been something fairly new and interesting. But LaBruce didn't have the skill to do this, so it's just another gay movie about a cute young man in his underwear acting sexy. A wasted opportunity.

Posted by: distinguetraces | Apr 10, 2014 7:30:22 AM

17. "Ageism" is yet another hypocritical element of our gay culture, as well as human nature itself. All groups, no matter how oppressed, will create an "other" to project their disdain upon. How can we ask to be accepted into the whole of society when we consider some in our own community as "gross"?

Posted by: Jim | Apr 10, 2014 8:43:13 AM

18. I always went for older guys, but not that big a difference in age. My husband was only fifteen years older than me.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Apr 10, 2014 8:46:57 AM

19. Older Dudes!

Hey Bruce, how's it hanging?

Posted by: Kunle | Apr 10, 2014 8:51:56 AM

20. OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S

Posted by: Kunle | Apr 10, 2014 8:52:50 AM

21. Funny to see my fellow gays react with the "eew!" factor just like heterosexuals toward the idea of gay sex. Ageism is bigotry, folks.

Posted by: Kenny | Apr 10, 2014 9:06:59 AM

22. I have a friend, in his early 70s who briefly dated a guy in his 30s. The younger guy broke it off because he said my friend wasn't old enough for him.

My friend said he never thought he'd hear that at his age.

Posted by: the other Ken | Apr 10, 2014 9:35:30 AM

23. Remember when Blanche Devereaux thought a younger man was attracted to her? (He was her late husband's out of wedlock child). Rose Nyland was asked what she thought and delicately said: "A psycho with a granny complex." LOL.

Posted by: MIke | Apr 10, 2014 9:35:43 AM

24. Don't worry, guys. One day, you'll be 70 years old, then 80, if you're lucky enough to be alive by that time. Time goes by, and it takes you with it, like it or not.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 10, 2014 9:55:26 AM

25. Love is love...we don't have to understand it, just accept that it works for the parties involved.

Posted by: Dback | Apr 10, 2014 10:27:03 AM