Bruce LaBruce’s New Film About An 18-Year Old Falling For An 81-Year Old: VIDEO

INTERVIEW

Tell me about the casting process. How did you go bout finding your two protagonists?

In my script for Gerontophilia, the characters, as written, were 18 and 81, so I really wanted to cast actors pretty much the same age as the characters in order to give the movie a super-gerontophile effect. I cast both actors, 18-year-old Pier-Gabriel Lajoie, who is straight, and 81-year-old Walter Borden, who is gay, through casting agents. PG had a very innocent and sweet and tender quality, which was consistent with his character of Lake. He is also very beautiful, which adds a nice irony to his gerontophilia—he is the ultimate object of desire in a society which overvalues youth and beauty, and yet his sexual choice is for the elderly, who are not considered sexually attractive. Walter is also a very handsome, charismatic man, and I think he’s sexy. He proves that elders can be sexy. […]

Excerpted from Vocativ.com

Comments

1. Don in ATL says

Some of the comments in this section only serve to prove the point of the movie. I find the concept fascinating simply because it is a little “uncomfortable.” Why is it uncomfortable? We see younger men with older men quite a bit. What makes this different? I like the provocative tone and the exploration of the nature of sex and love and how it often doesn’t fit our comfort zones. If possible, I’ll see this movie when it when it comes to my area.

2. ewew says

another attempt by fagets to portray the gay community as abnormal. Why on earth would you make such a dusgusting film? Shame on You!! Totally abhorrent. Maybe there is one or two mentally deranged kid out there but why glorify this psychiatric disease. You are the enemy of gay rights.

3. Jerramy says

Reminds me…
    I had a friend back in the late 70’s who, at the time, was about 23 years old. He was as hot/handsome as the day is long. He was in Interview magazine a few times. Anyhow, he was totally obsessed with much older men (men in their 50’s and 60’s). We spent a summer in Ptown and he met a guy one day at the Boatslip T Dance and fell head over heels in love (the guy was approaching 60). That was the beginning of a lengthy, many year relationship between the two of them. They were inseparable. None of us really understood it, but my friend had zero sexual interest in men his own age.

4. Wavin' Dave says

Clever concept!
    Age and beauty are the minefields of gay life (or any life, I guess. Women suffer mightily.)
    I dunno why?
    My grandma always said, “I never met anyone who was growing young…”
    I’ll have to ask my husband’s opinion. He’s 18 years my junior. Together 18 years!

5. distinguetraces says

Had the film attempted to create a gerontophiliac perspective for the viewer — if the camera’s eye had treated the older an object of desire — it could have been something fairly new and interesting. But LaBruce didn’t have the skill to do this, so it’s just another gay movie about a cute young man in his underwear acting sexy. A wasted opportunity.

6. Jim says

“Ageism” is yet another hypocritical element of our gay culture, as well as human nature itself. All groups, no matter how oppressed, will create an “other” to project their disdain upon. How can we ask to be accepted into the whole of society when we consider some in our own community as “gross”?

7. Kunle says

OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S OLD3R DUD3S

8. the other Ken says

I have a friend, in his early 70s who briefly dated a guy in his 30s. The younger guy broke it off because he said my friend wasn’t old enough for him.

My friend said he never thought he’d hear that at his age.

9. MIke says

Remember when Blanche Devereaux thought a younger man was attracted to her? (He was her late husband’s out of wedlock child). Rose Nyland was asked what she thought and delicately said: “A psycho with a granny complex.” LOL.

10. Jack M says

Don’t worry, guys. One day, you’ll be 70 years old, then 80, if you’re lucky enough to be alive by that time. Time goes by, and it takes you with it, like it or not.

11. Mike in the Tundra says

Putting Jack M’s and Kenny’s post together – yes, ageism is bigotry, but we all hope that someday we’ll be part of the group being discriminated against.

12. jamal49 says

Age is but a number. Love is eternal. Remember guys, if you are so fortunate, you, too, will be 80 one day. Pray that you are not alone, in an assisted-living facility, forgotten by everyone except the nurse’s aide who brings you your meals and your meds.

13. Derrick from Philly says

@ “…forgotten by everyone except the nurse’s aide who brings you your meals and your meds.”

Oh, Lord. And listening to Peggy Lee on the radio,

“…is that all there is, is that all there is

if that’s all there is my friend… then let’s keep dancing…”

I’m ’bout to cry here in my office because I’m already there…and I’m only f.ckin’ 56.

14. Gary says

Just the thought of a younger person showing genuine affection for an older person who is not a blood relative is endearing. I hope that I should be so lucky if/when I should end up in one of those wretched warehouses for the aged.

15. Mike says

I met a 19 year old when i was 62 , we have had an eight year friendship and wonderful sex. He loves older men. Sometimes this upsets him as his younger friends make fun of him. However he goes with his instincts and dates older guys .

16. Maverick69` says

My husband is 19 years older than me and I don’t find anything “eewww” about it and we’ve been together for 14 years (I’m gonna be 45)