Bryan Singer | News

Bryan Singer Accuser Describes Being Used Like 'Piece of Meat' by 'Evil' Group: VIDEO

Egan

At a press conference with his lawyer Jeff Herman on Thursday, the man accusing Bryan Singer of drugging and raping him when he was 17-years-old told reporters that he had tried to repress the memory following the experience and also turned to drinking.

SingerMichael Egan said that he became sober two years ago and entered trauma therapy, which he has been undergoing for 11 months.

Egan tells the story of how he moved to L.A. to pursue acting, went to a private school in the Valley, and met the younger brother of Chad Shackley, one of the men who owned the house in Encino where the parties and assaults took place.

Egan described how he was pulled aside for "threat sessions".

Said Egan:

"At the end of the day if you don't keep the members of this group happy - we control Hollywood - we can eliminate you - we will eliminate you. At the house I had drugs put in drinks, I had liquor poured down my throat. There were rules in the house of no swimsuits, no clothes out by the pool area. I was raped numerous times in that house by numerous individuals. Various types of sexual abuse all throughout that house. You were like a piece of meat to these people and they passed you around between them. If I can define what that house was - it's evil."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Singer's attorney is fighting back:

“The claims made today about Bryan Singer are completely fabricated. We look forward to our bringing a claim for malicious prosecution against Mr. Egan and his attorney after we prevail. It is obvious that plaintiff’s attorney is not looking to litigate the case on its merits. This matter is nothing more than the attorney seeking to get his 15 minutes of fame by sending out a press release with his ‘media consultant’ yesterday and following up with a press conference today. Attorneys who try cases don’t hold press conferences.”

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Egan filed a suit over sexual abuse in 2000 but didn't name Singer:

The 2000 suit was filed by several individuals, including one identified as "Michael E, a minor, by and through his guardian ad litem, Bonnie Mound." The plaintiff in the suit filed Wednesday is Michael Egan. The birthday given for “Michael E” would make him 31 today, which is Egan's age.

"It's clear that these statements are fabricated," said Singer's attorney Martin Singer in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. "If Bryan had done anything wrong, he would have been included in the previous lawsuit."

Egan's lawyer's publicist told THR: "From what I understand, Michael had previously disclosed the allegations against Bryan Singer, and questions about the previous lawsuit involving the DEN people should be directed to the lawyer involved in that suit." ...

...The 2000 suit does not expressly reference the September 1999 party alleged in the more recent suit. Rather, the 2000 suit appears to encompass a period of time that is consistent with and including the 1999 party.

Both the recent lawsuit and the one from 2000 say that the Los Angeles parties were held at a mansion in Encino referred to as the M & C Estate, whose residents were Marc Collins-Rector and Chad Shackley, whose younger brother Scott Shackley was in Egan's high-school class.

Watch Egan's press conference, AFTER THE JUMP...

Meanwhile, Buzzfeed reports that "ABC will re-edit commercials for its new drama Black Box to remove any mention of Singer, the show’s executive producer."

Comments

1. I tend to agree with Singer's attorney . . . people who have real grievances don't hold press conferences with their lawyers . . . they sue in court or go to the district attorney.

The actions of Michael Egan and his attorney reek of a publicity hound looking for some dough.

Posted by: Continuum | Apr 18, 2014 2:05:00 PM

2. This is what happens when male sodomites have their way. We will be back to the sins of Greece where mothers were forced to give up their young sons for the pleasures of sodomites. It will surely be the fire next time. I hope X-men is boycotted!

Posted by: June | Apr 18, 2014 2:07:11 PM

3. The complaint has quite a lot of detail about the houses in LA and hawaii, at least leading credence to him being present at those places. If not to be a houseboy, then why was he there?

Posted by: jeo | Apr 18, 2014 2:08:59 PM

4. Oh, June, you rascal

Posted by: Mikey | Apr 18, 2014 2:10:01 PM

5. Most actual victims of sexual abuse want criminal charges filed and met. Because that's what justice is - the abuser serving time. Actual punishment for an actual crime. I do not like to dismiss those bring up allegations of abuse, but when they go for money and not *justice* it hurts their claims.

this is not to say that the casting couch does not exist, nor that the pressures to "please" do not exist - but this has the unfortunate stench of opportunism around it.

I was talking to friends about this, and they mentioned how it was similar to the Dylan Farrow accusations - to which i vehemently disagree. Dylan Farrow, as far as I know, is not looking for a book deal, or a reality show, or money - she, it truly seems, is going through what many *other* victims of abuse are able to as adults - demand acknowledgement for what happened. Acknowledgment that they are not crazy, that they are not confused, acknowledgement that It Happened.

This seems to be the story of a failed actor who saw a chance to make headlines, make some bucks, all timed before the release of what is at present the most anticipated tent-pole blockbuster of the year.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 18, 2014 2:12:31 PM

6. Dear June,

Paraphrasing from the Wizard of Oz.

Glenda to the Wicked Witch . . . "Bugger off my dear, you have no powers here."

With Best Regards,

A Sodomite

Posted by: Continuum | Apr 18, 2014 2:12:48 PM

7. doesn't sound credible

Posted by: Moz's | Apr 18, 2014 2:16:21 PM

8. June is just a troll here... but this story does wreak of a publicity stunt to make a fast buck.

Posted by: John P. | Apr 18, 2014 2:18:15 PM

9. To Continuum, why do adult sodomites covet the bodies of young, under 18 year old boys? Why do sodomites seem incapable of sexual self-control? Why are all your "role-models" whores (Harvey Milk to Dan Savage and everyone in between)? As a heterosexual woman, I would not be against sodomy if it wasn't clear to me that it will lead to the exploitation of children. You do not care about the well-being of little children, just your own carnal pleasures. It is frightening to the extreme! You lack basic morality. How does it feel to be so depraved in the flesh?

Posted by: June | Apr 18, 2014 2:21:00 PM

10. for those unfamiliar with the troll June, Faye Dunaway's character in CHINATOWN was based on her.

"she's my sister...daughter...sister..daughter, she's my sister and my daughter!"

yes, June. we know. now go chug a bottle of bleach. be gone, ye.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 18, 2014 2:25:15 PM

11. June - I don't if you must know. But that's the last I'll speak to you. I hope you enjoy the view under your bridge...

On to more pressing things. I read this on The Daily Beast and wondered why Singer wasn't a defendant in the 2000 suit, and why wait an additional 15 years? Obviously Egan was able to seek restitution for the ills committed against him, why not include those people that were at the parties?

Posted by: mason | Apr 18, 2014 2:25:48 PM

12. Hey June my dear - you do realize I hope that Sodomy is considered ANY and ALL sex that NOT PP to VaJJ hetero Missionary....so June, ORAL is SODOMY too......are you a sodomite June? If NOT, why NOT? Boring sex life?

Posted by: disgusted merican | Apr 18, 2014 2:26:52 PM

13. actually, Disgusted, BIBLICALLY-speaking "sodomy" is the act of hoarding wealth and provisions and not being hospitable and generous and giving to those who are in need.

Ezekiel 16 - ignore 'June' - a worthless non-entity who will one day die after having left no meaningful stamp on this earth.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 18, 2014 2:29:38 PM

14. Trolls make me sick. Sorry, June, but I am not now not have I ever been attracted to children. I'm in my late 30s and I barely find men in their 20s attractive. Crawl back under the pathetic rock you crawled out from under. If trolling is your pastime, you need to get a life.

As for this incident, it's really hard to say. The press conference thing reeks of attention-seeking. Most victims of sexual abuse don't want to put themselves through that. It reads false to me, but that's just my snap judgment. I wouldn't put it past rich dudes in Hollywood to see themselves as god-like and have a house full of rent boys.

Posted by: AJ | Apr 18, 2014 2:30:01 PM

15. Michael Egan is kinda cute.

Posted by: Brad Doles | Apr 18, 2014 2:30:06 PM

16. Heterosexual men have raped underage women, therefore all heterosexuals are interested in pursuing only their own carnal pleasures. Or something.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Apr 18, 2014 2:30:14 PM

17. Would anyone really be surprised if what Egan says is pretty much accurate? We are talking about 'nice' people here, mostly highly narcissistic individuals abusing cocaine and meth,.not a combination that produces nice, decent people with impulse control.

Now I don't think Egan is or was as innocent as he claims, but the whole thing reeks. AndI say the same thing if it involved girls.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 18, 2014 2:31:22 PM

18. @ June - Why to adult heterosexuals covet the bodies of young, 18 year old girls? Why do heterosexuals seem incapable of sexual self-control? As a gay may, I would not be against heterosexuals if it wasn't clear to me that it will lead to the exploitation of children. You don't care about the well being of children. Heterosexual men lack basic morality.

Posted by: James H | Apr 18, 2014 2:31:53 PM

19. @june and others. This is not a scenario most often associated with same sex acts but instead most often perpetrated by heterosexuals against young girls. Too many anecdotes from underage models to actresses to boardroom bosses and young female junior execs. It is a travesty from any perspective. I hope he prevails. It can take many years to summon the courage to come forward much less summon the energy to fight Goliath.
    I assume statute of limitation has run out for criminal charges so civil justice with monetary consequences is the only legal option remaining.

Posted by: Dixichuk | Apr 18, 2014 2:36:14 PM

20. @Ratbastard, I'm sure that some of it is true. There was a $4 million settlement that was founded against Collins-Rector (because he fled the country). However, Egan has had multiple times and years between to file a suit. Why now? If he was perfectly fine to file a suit again Collins-Rector and Shackley in 2000 why not include Singer then? Singer had just wrapped up X-men, he was high profile. He says he was traumatized, and being 17 and having that happen would be. Yet he didn't name Singer in his first suit. It makes doing so now seem a little Gloria Allredish to me.

Posted by: mason | Apr 18, 2014 2:39:56 PM

21. Who cares if the guy is seeking monetary restitution or public humiliation? How he seeks his payback is irrelevant. What matters in the end is whether his allegations are true or not. AND if they are true I am all for Singer's reputation ending thoroughly destroyed and for him to get hit where it hurts him the most: his pocket!

Posted by: Melvyn | Apr 18, 2014 2:41:07 PM

22. Don't forget, June, that women are raped when male heterosexuals have their way. The fault is not with human sexuality, but with humans in general. We can all do terrible things to each other, so let's not point fingers across the fence.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 18, 2014 2:43:30 PM

23. I think he's entirely credible - esp given the lawyer he has representing him. This will turn into a Sandusky situation in 3...2...

Posted by: Russ | Apr 18, 2014 2:43:44 PM

24. looks like somebody wanted to be an actor/model and hooked up with a couple of influencial guys hoping for connections and jobs . However his career never took of and one day he woke up in his 30ies and decided to shake down some trees.

Posted by: aki | Apr 18, 2014 2:44:03 PM

25. Well this in some ways brings back memories of when I was 18 and had moved to NYC to attend college. That summer I went out to Fire Island with a new friend who was a year or two older. He knew several people out on the island and one of them (a diamond merchant from midtown), while at the Botel T Dance invited us to his house that evening. When we arrived there there were no less than 15 or 20 guys all about my age and several older men, one of which was Steve Rubell, another was Calvin Klein. The house was a big wooden contemporary on the beach. There was plenty of alcohol flowing and other recreational substances and one thing lead to another and the older guys (whom I've mentioned, but also another one or two) were basically exactly what this guy is claiming in his complaint and video. Has it always bothered me? Yes. But I put myself in that position.

Posted by: Jeremiah | Apr 18, 2014 2:44:41 PM