Bryan Singer Issues Statement Denouncing Sex Abuse Allegations as ‘Twisted Shake Down’

X-Men director Bryan Singer issued a statement today regarding allegations by Michael Egan that singer had drugged and raped him when he was 17 as part of a 'sex ring' preying on underage teens.

SingerSaid Singer in the statement, in which he said he was dropping out of the press tour for X-Men:

“The allegations against me are outrageous, vicious and completely false. I do not want these fictitious claims to divert ANY attention from ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past.’ This fantastic film is a labor of love and one of the greatest experiences of my career. So, out of respect to all of the extraordinary contributions from the incredibly talented actors and crew involved, I’ve decided not to participate in the upcoming media events for the film. However, I promise when this situation is over, the facts will show this to be the sick twisted shake down it is. I want to thank fans, friends and family for all their amazing and overwhelming support.”

Comments

1. Zlick says

I believe Singer, and think this is a smart move. But if you make your bed, you must lie in it. So I’m just surprised it hasn’t happened before that one of the ten gazillion tween gayboys who’ve courted him at one of his ten gazillion boyfest parties hasn’t tried to shake him down long before now.

2. JMC says

He’s a rapist and a bad director, his corny aesthetic is still stuck in the early 2000s. The X-Men franchise was better of without him directing.

3. jarago says

He really has not made an interesting movie since ” The Usual Suspects” and if he does organized these underage boy pool parties then he was basically asking for trouble.

4. Urbanmike says

Everyone knows there are many truths to this story, including illegal behavior, and that it is just the tip of the iceberg. It’s no surprise to those in the know. Why defend this behavior?

5. Bill says

@Urbanmike: there may that sort of illegal behavior going on in Hollywood, but it isn’t clear that Singer was involved in this particular case (or any other one).

If Singer was where he said he was on the dates in question, Egan will be clobbered in court. I guess Egan has given up on being in films – as they say in Hollywood, “You’ll never work in this town again,” and his best defense against a defamation suit if he loses might be a net worth so low as to make a lawsuit pointless.

6. Ryan says

While I’m certainly skeptical of the worst of the claims, his behavior with these parties and the ages of the people he was seeking relationships with is creepy regardless of whether it’s skeevy men looking for 18-19 year old girls… or guys, even if it isn’t technically breaking the law.

Singer disgusts me and as much of a fan as I’ve been with most of the x men movies… I don’t think I can see this one or anything he’s associated with at this point. I dearly hope the franchise moves in without him. There are much more talented directors anyway.

7. Richard says

Singer must have some inflated sense of entitlement to be so incredibly careless with his life and others and not expect serious repercussions.

8. says

I live across the street from Bryan and let me tell you even if these allegations are not true there are enough drugged out, wasted young men of undetermined age trolling at his house at all hours of the morning – many puking on my property – some having to be carried out of his house because they could not walk on their own. I think a DEA or ATF investigation of drug use or underage drinking will follow – and hopefully rid my neighborhood of this nuisance.

9. anon says

Okay. The problem for Singer and the others is that the accuser has the trifecta of who, where and when. This is normally enough to force the accused into settling the case. The problem being in part that it’s so specific that were it not true then the case would fall apart immediately. The problem being also that should they name body specific traits the accused will need to be photographed naked, and this is often enough to force a settlement.

10. Merv says

@Anon – “the accuser has the trifecta of who, where and when”

How is that a trifecta? Every lawsuit specifies who, where, and when. Are you implying there are lawsuits that say “some guy did something to me, oh like a few years ago, somewhere out west”?

11. Glenn says

I’m not surprised that this is happening to him. I’m waiting for a few others to join the chorus, like the Elmo case. I also won’t be surprised if Dustin Lance Black’s name pops up in the list of party guests.