Bubba Watson Wins 2014 Masters, Thinks Being Gay is a Sin

Watson

PGA Golfer Bubba Watson celebrated with a family dinner at Waffle House after winning the 2014 Masters tournament for the second time in three years over the weekend.

Outsports reminds us that he would have dinner with gay 'sinners' too, in a recollection of comments he made about Jason Collins last year:

"I've met Jason, said, ‘Hey,' to him, because he used to play for the Suns when I had the Suns tickets. I respect anybody that's gay … I'm not saying I'm better than others. I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm saying I love him. If he called me right now and said, ‘Hey,' or any person that was gay called me, I'd go to dinner with them any time. It's just my belief system on the Bible says you can't be gay. That's a sin. So somebody living in sin I believe to be wrong."

There are no openly gay golfers in the PGA. Thankfully there are some players, like Brandt Snedeker, with more evolved perspectives.

Comments

1. tim S says

Why would anyone have any respect for someone who celebrates at a waffle house?

That fact alone makes him a pathetic excuse for a human. I would be more alarmed if he supported gay folk.

2. miguel says

I worked on The Tour on and off over a two year period. Some of these guys are real pr*cks and have their heads up their *sses.
    I won’t name names but this article clearly exposes one of them.
    In some ways I suppose that golf is worse than many other sports because these guys exist in walled-in, exclusive private membership communities, both in where they live and where they golf.

3. TANK says

Well, it looks like it’s up to Tank to spread some common sense around the Towleroad comment section. Once again, the usual cast of pathetic, middle-aged queens are out in full force on an angry and self-righteous jihad! This Bubba guy does not seem like a hater to Tank. Do I disagree with him? Yes. But would I silence him? No. Besides, have any of you fanatical ideologues of PC checked out his caboose in those nice, snug golf shorts? This guy is not no matter how retrograde his political views are! And a lot of the haters here would be happy to give this guy a go despite his worldview. I sure would! Just keeping it real, guys! And now I’ll look forward to the calm, insightful, and carefully reasoned responses that my posts usually draw.

4. Jere says

Wow! This guy is wrong on so many levels.
    He just won the Masters and the best place he chooses to celebrate and have dinner is at the Waffle House?

He uses the compilation of made-up-crap as his excuse to show homophobia and probably violates a hundred of those rules and laws himself.

He thinks meaningful conversations consist of “hey”.

And, since I’ve never seen him before, if that’s him in the front of the selfie, he isn’t his god’s gift to men or women.

5. Joe in Ct says

Celebrating a huge win at a Waffle House is the real sin here. I’d have dinner with him, but I think his life choices are poorly executed and I can’t condone them.

6. bkmn says

I’d love to ask Bubba what Jeebus had to say about teh gay. I’m sure he would say that it is wrong, as he gobbled up a shrimp cocktail (obviously not at the Waffle House) while wearing his polyester slacks and cotton polo.

And Bubba, get that mole on your face checked out. Golfers tend to have higher rates of skin cancer after all. Unless you don’t believe in doctors, of course.

7. Caliban says

Is anyone really surprised that someone named (or called) “Bubba” has some backward ideas?

Yes, I know this is painting with a broad brush but in my experience there seems to be something about golf that draws @ssholes. Like Miguel said above, I think it’s mainly the Country Club/gated community (AKA Republican) mindset.

8. Perry says

I don’t care what his opinions are just like I don’t care what Chris Kluwe’s opinions are. Just play your sport or get into politics and then I might care what you think.

As for the guys making fun of him for going to the Waffle house, your bigotry towards him and they way he decides to live is just as bad as bigotry.

9. Dastius Krazitauc says

Wait, this is the guy who uses a pink driver and was desperate to be on “Ellen”? So he believes Ellen is living in sin, and “wrong”, but he “respects” her enough to beg to be on her show?

10. Taylor says

I’m wondering how Jesus would have felt about NOT keeping the sabbath holy…and playing a round of golf on a day that was meant to be spent praising the lord!

11. mikeydallas says

I am a big golf fan. Bubba Watson is not well liked on tour. He is whiny, and berates his caddie often blaming said caddie for a bad shot he made. He goes through life with a attitude that everyone is against him all the while as a person of almost indescribable privilege. I would not like this guy even if he were pro gay.

12. Chadd says

Other sins of the Bible:
    Wearing blended fabric (most golf clothes)
    Working on the Sabbath (that would be Saturday)
    Cutting the hair around your temples (sideburns don’t count)

See ya in Hell, Bubba.

13. tabsea says

Its only a sin to those that believe in a book & the imaginary man that lives in the sky somewhere. So I give this no validity- nope- none- zip- nada!!!!!

14. Marc says

Insert any other category in exchange for “gay” and read this again. Try Jewish, Muslim, Black, Asian, Fat, Skinny, etc.
    This man is so caught up in his silly faith that he can’t just be honest. I’m not even suggesting he doesn’t like gays. I wouldn’t be surprised if he likes us — but because of his faith he has to qualify it. It’s so dumb. Religion makes people act in ways they’d never act. It’s not an honest representation of themselves.

15. walter says

you know the bible also says that those that work on the sabbath should be stoned . didn’t he play golf yesterday and isn’t that his job so he worked . lets stone him at the u.s. open on television

16. EchtKultig says

Let’s face it, he’s considered the “great white trash hope” of pro golf. It’s not surprising he has these attitudes. IIRC, he comes from some north Florida backwater.

17. Bill says

What he seems to be saying is that he doesn’t mind being around gays, but his official position is that is that same-sex sexual activity is a sin.

Maybe his mom actually believes their Bible-thumping preacher and he can placate her by saying same-sex sexual activity is a sin but can also quote the part of the Bible about Jesus hanging out with tax collectors and sinners and partying with them:

Mathew 11:19
    The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”

So, “Bubba” can then ask his mom, “what would Jesus do?” You can argue about the theology, but it would probably shut her up.

BTW, maybe he went to a “Waffle House” because the crew wasn’t presentable anywhere else. Think “Beverly Hillbillies”. To decide, someone will have to see where he goes when he doesn’t have his family along with him.