Discrimination | Idaho | Madelynn Taylor | Military | News

Idaho Won't Allow 74-Year-Old Gay Navy Veteran to Be Buried with Her Wife: VIDEO

Madelynn_taylor

Madelynn Taylor, a 74-year-old U.S. Navy veteran from Boise, Idaho, is speaking out after the Idaho Veterans Cemetery refused her request to be buried with her wife Jean Mixner, who died in 2012, KBOI reports:

She went to the Idaho Veterans Cemetery and asked officials to reserve a spot for interment, along with her partner's ashes. The cemetery allows spouses of veterans to be buried or interred with them.

They said no.

"I'm not surprised." Taylor said. "I've been discriminated against for 70 years, and they might as well discriminate against me in death as well as life."

A spokesperson with the Division of Veterans Services told KBOI 2News that they "have to abide by the Idaho state constitution," which only recognizes marriage between a man and a woman.

"I don't see where the ashes of a couple old lesbians is going to hurt anyone," Taylor said.

Taylor, who served in the Navy for six years, says this is her home state and the only place she wants to be buried, next to her wife, whom she legally married in California in 2008.

Watch KBOI's interview with Taylor, AFTER THE JUMP...

Taylor_mixner

Comments

1. Their hate, like our love, has no limits.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Apr 24, 2014 2:37:32 PM

2. Madelynn...you're priceless. Never give up the fight...but the truth is you've already won. And in the process you've become a hero and I love you!!

Posted by: Paul B. | Apr 24, 2014 2:49:32 PM

3. Isn't the Veteran's Administration supposed to follow the new Obama rules?

Posted by: woodroad34 | Apr 24, 2014 2:51:07 PM

4. That's a woman? Looks and sounds like a guy to me. This has to be some kind of fake out.

Posted by: Perry | Apr 24, 2014 2:51:42 PM

5. Perry, are you trying to be an ass or does it come naturally?

Posted by: Lee | Apr 24, 2014 3:00:17 PM

6. Perry...stop nursing on your mother's tit and get out into the world already...you're 30 years old. Then again, maybe you're just an idiot...bingo!

Posted by: Paul B. | Apr 24, 2014 3:02:08 PM

7. It comes naturally to point out the fact that "she" completely looks, sounds, and dresses like a guy.

Posted by: Perry | Apr 24, 2014 3:03:23 PM

8. @Lee

wouldn't be Towleroad without hateful trolls.

I swear the bile in the comments, almost always related to gender (drag, butch, trans, etc.) are BULLYING tolerated by our webmaster as it generates web hits.

If I wanna read a comment calling someone an ugly d*ke I'll go back to visiting Perez Hilton's sites.

Posted by: qj201 | Apr 24, 2014 3:05:48 PM

9. The opponents of equal rights have no decency.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 24, 2014 3:10:46 PM

10. what, exactly, could be any legitimate reason to deny spouses adjoining graves? the navy better have a legitimate answer, i suspect i won't be the last to ask.

much love to madelynn, and support for her fight, she must win.

Posted by: northalabama | Apr 24, 2014 3:11:43 PM

11. That about says it all; "they've discriminated against me in 70 years of life, they might as well discriminate against me in death".

And that's why we're mad as hell Andrew Sullivan, not bullies, just mad as hell.

What a country !
    A country that has bred Scott Lively and other maggots......and purports to be Christian and parades its faux evangelicalism.

As for Perry above, what a tool.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 24, 2014 3:18:17 PM

12. "I've been discriminated against for 70 years, and they might as well discriminate against me in death as well as life."

Straight to heart, that statement.

Posted by: mcgill | Apr 24, 2014 3:23:41 PM

13. Wouldn't it be appropriate to change the name of IDAHO to HIDEO(US)?

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Apr 24, 2014 3:31:01 PM

14. Perry...it may come naturally to you from your perch under a rock...but to the majority of us it's a non-issue and does not come naturally at all. "Naturally" you would observe it...because "naturally" you're a fool.

Posted by: Paul B. | Apr 24, 2014 3:58:14 PM

15. As a fellow vet it breaks my heart to see my sister in arms disrespected like this. My father was Navy as well. He also is 74.

There has to be something that can be done.

Posted by: Dave W | Apr 24, 2014 4:06:53 PM

16. Heartbreaking.

Posted by: Jude | Apr 24, 2014 5:43:53 PM

17. Perry, please step in front of a bus and die!

Posted by: Astro Boy | Apr 24, 2014 9:41:48 PM

18. @NorthAL - Spousal spots in veterans' cemeteries are reserved for veterans' spouses. Since these two women are (obviously) not each other's spouse, only the actual vet can be buried there.

Posted by: TKinSC | Apr 24, 2014 10:51:18 PM

19. :(

Very sad. I am so jaded by the modern world and its casual, replaceable relationships and when you see something enduring like this...well, just very sad indeed.

Posted by: Rin | Apr 25, 2014 7:49:44 AM

20. @astro boy After you

Posted by: Perry | Apr 25, 2014 9:22:53 AM

21. TKINSC: What part of the fact that they were legally married in 2008 did you not understand? The veteran's Administration is under federal control not state control so they follow federal rules. Rules that state that legal marriages by gay people are recognized everywhere in federal facilities which this cemetery is. I predict that this decision gets reversed very soon.

Posted by: Liam | Apr 25, 2014 11:04:23 AM

22. Whew. Close call. I was worried there. My life was about to be ruined. Thanks for not allowing this, my head would have exploded.

Just fyi for those who freak out easily

/end sarcasm

Posted by: David | Apr 25, 2014 3:07:11 PM

23. I've never started one...does anyone know how to start a petition at change.org?

Posted by: Tony | Apr 25, 2014 5:50:28 PM