GLAAD | Jennifer Lopez | News

Jennifer Lopez Talks Emotionally About Gay Aunt in GLAAD Acceptance Speech: VIDEO

Lopez

Jennifer Lopez also received a special GLAAD award at the organization's Los Angeles ceremony. Actress and Rita Moreno presented Lopez with the Vanguard Award. Lopez's show The Fosters, was also recognized as Outstanding Drama of the Year.

Lopez spoke about her gay aunt during the speech:

"I've always felt a tremendous love from the LGBT community and the LGBT community has always supported me and returned that love...Marisa was my cool aunt. She was my mom's older sister and she lived in New York City. I lived in the Bronx and she lived in Manhattan, it was like worlds away! She wanted to be an actress and I always wanted to be like her. Marisa grew up gay in a time when it meant life could be very difficult and that her struggles were mostly kept to herself. It wasn't until I got older that I really began to know and appreciate the difficulties she dealt with and the struggles of her community. I also realized the quiet lessons I had learned from my family of tolerance and acceptance."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Great speech!

Posted by: Josh | Apr 13, 2014 10:29:40 AM

2. She does look great.

Posted by: Christian | Apr 13, 2014 12:06:28 PM

3. How much money have you given? How old are you?? Now that you are over?????

Oh, lgbt people have such low self esteem they put up with any odious mean woman.

Hey guys, I have a gay uncle and aunt!! Just told you know even though I've been around for 30 years!!

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 13, 2014 3:43:08 PM

4. And where is Lupita? Who took a MASSIVE risk at the start of her career when you know she was advised against it by so many BUT she still went and said how she stood together "in solidarity with lgbt people".

Whatever.

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 13, 2014 3:45:26 PM

5. I'm glad J-Lo showed up.
    Maybe she can donate a little of those millions she makes singing for gay-hating dictators to GLAAD.

Posted by: keating | Apr 13, 2014 4:37:47 PM

6. Considering Jennifer is responsible for one of the best representations of gay people on television, it makes complete sense she would receive a GLAAD award.

I'm baffled at Rowan being upset that GLAAD is giving someone who has actually made concrete contributions to positive LGBT media representation an award over someone who said some nice things about gay people in an interview lol don't you think GLAAD has done that enough times already?

Posted by: JMC | Apr 13, 2014 7:34:13 PM

7. GLAAD loves to give straight people awards.

GLAAD has no credibility.

It honoured that pig Bill Clinton - the man who gave us DOMA and DADT and has never apologised for either.

Posted by: MaryM | Apr 14, 2014 10:11:39 AM