I'm Not Gay | Jessie J | Music | News

Jessie J Comes Out as Straight, Says Bisexuality Was a 'Phase'

Jessiej

British pop star Jessie J tells the UK's Mirror that she's now straight:

The star, who had previously said she was bisexual, spoke candidly to 3am about her changing sexuality.

“For me, it was a phase,” she says. “But I’m not saying bisexuality is a phase for everybody.

“I feel that if I continue my career not speaking on it, I almost feel more of a liar than if I didn’t. I just want to be honest, and it’s really not a big deal. Who cares?”

Jessie adds:

"I did talk about it, and I was open about it, and I do support being lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender - love who you want. That’s what I’m doing. I don’t regret anything I ever said, but I never knew back then that whatever I said became a fact that I couldn’t change. I’m just so bored of it, and that’s kind of it – I want to stop talking about it completely now and find myself a husband. It’s a true struggle. All the chick flicks that didn’t make sense to me, I now understand – Sex and the City is real! I’m not anything. I’m aware of who I want to be and I want to marry a man. That’s it."

Comments

1. If it's "not a big deal" why are you making a public statement of this kind?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 8, 2014 9:47:54 AM

2. @David Presumably it's because it's probably mentioned in a ton of articles and there's so much speculation about dating for celebrities these days. I can respect not wanting to live a lie. I imagine it feels disingenuous to be placed on a pedestal as a "bisexual pop star" and not feel like its really accurate.

Posted by: Shepetgene | Apr 8, 2014 9:52:31 AM

3. She used it to market herself as a rebel and edgey. If she had some real guts, she'd admit to that.

Posted by: Pablo | Apr 8, 2014 9:55:24 AM

4. Who the fck cares?

The term, bi, is used by folks who are to afraid to come to terms with their gayness or they are hipster heteros trying desperately to be cool

Posted by: chasmader | Apr 8, 2014 9:56:11 AM

5. Another Nicky Minaj.
    She was the first one to say she is bisexual (even when most people thought she was a lesbian but you know bi is more appealing for a female pop star).

If you are bisexual that doesn't mean you date men and women in the same proportion. She can date men now without being straight.
    But it's quite clear that being straight seems more marketable now.

Anyway, her good days are gone. She is far from being as popular in UK (even being a judge on The voice), and she lose a big oportunity in the USA when she didn't release anything after Domino became big.

I think Robbie Williams was right and she will be a hasbeen in no time

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 8, 2014 10:03:04 AM

6. Oh, a vapid pop star who was trying to be edgy suddenly decided she wasn't bi anymore? Color me shocked.

Posted by: Zell | Apr 8, 2014 10:09:59 AM

7. It's possible that this is another round of equating orientation with who you have sex with.

Someone can be bi and exclusively date or partner with someone of a single gender. Unless she's saying she has no remaining attraction to women, all she's saying is she only dates men. Fine.

But, assuming anyone cares or was making assumptions otherwise, good for her for being open. God knows straight celebrities generally won't shut up about who they're doing.

Posted by: Lymis | Apr 8, 2014 10:26:40 AM

8. She was never bi.

Like so many female pop-stars she pretended she was to appeal to straight guys.

Whenever a female actress/singer says she is bi then I don't believe her unless she is in a relationship with a woman (and they never are). I tend to think they are straight.

When a male actor/singer/sportsperson (Tom Daley) says he is bi then I don't believe him unless he is in a relationship with a woman.

Posted by: MaryM | Apr 8, 2014 10:44:22 AM

9. Another "celebrity" who uses "bisexuality" as a marketing tool. Sadly, for those advocates who believe that there actually is such a thing as true bisexuality, this is a real kick in the teeth. It only reinforces the idea that "bisexuals" are fickle with their emotional lives and incapable of any real commitment to anyone but their own selfish interests.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 8, 2014 10:44:42 AM

10. Should have said she was "heteroflexible" instead of bi

Posted by: Qj201 | Apr 8, 2014 10:46:50 AM

11. This is also why bisexuals get no respect at all when so many drag the label through the mud.

Besides, she's pretty much an uglier Katy Perry or a less talented Pink. No loss here.

Posted by: Sam | Apr 8, 2014 10:57:11 AM

12. Miss Daley aside, isn't this "fluid" sexuality mostly about women? Isnt that why we had to add the damn "B" in the first place so we could be inclusive of wishy washy lesbians.

I mean does anyone actually know anyone who lives a "bi lifestyle" or are "Bi"'s simply gay or straight and just get it on with the other gender every now and then. I've had sex with several guys who I would refer to as straight.

I mean its one thing to be like 17 and explore your sexuality but really, most adults are generally set in their ways. I have just never seen people switching around in real life.

As much as I think the T's should get their own movement, I would drop the B's this second without batting an eyelash. At least the T's are actually a distinct group.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Apr 8, 2014 10:57:41 AM

13. go to hell, missy. We don't need some nobody pop star giving permission to be gay.

Posted by: freak | Apr 8, 2014 11:25:42 AM

14. Both the Mirror's headline and this one appear to have put words in her mouth. Nothing in quotation marks has her saying, "I'm straight." The article says:

Now, she does not wish to label her sexuality , adding: “I’m not anything.

“I’m aware of who I want to be and I want to marry a man. That’s it.”

A bisexual who decides it is more convenient to marry a man than a woman is nothing unusual, and doesn't make her "straight" or "heterosexual." And a bisexual who decides it's more palatable or marketable to say "I'm nothing" or "I don't like labels" is not unusual, either.

I'm afraid though that the headlines thst come out of these kinds of announcements (as when Anne Heche said she was straight, and then gay, and then straight, and then an alien ftom the planet Celestia, and then admitted that she was just not sane) just confuse an already-confused public.

Posted by: GregV | Apr 8, 2014 11:36:28 AM

15. So not 24 hours ago, the self-appointed guardians of morality on this site - Little Kiwi, DrDonna, OnceMoreWithFeeling (really Little Kiwi under one of his many different names), Jamal49, and Derrick from Philly - were all here defending a woman who proclaimed herself "queer" and who insisted that women who call themselves lesbians might really just be a few years away from finding a good man. They supported that garbage because it was dressed up as "queer." But when this lying troll celebrity says the same thing, she will be derided. Jamal49 has already shown up to do just that. Anyone who supports "queer" ideology should be seen as anti-gay. On the same level as Brandon Ambrosino. End of.

Posted by: Devon | Apr 8, 2014 12:01:17 PM

16. @devon

it also seems to be very common because the lesbians have creates a variety of terms to refer to these types of women.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Apr 8, 2014 12:10:03 PM

17. @HOMO GENIUS "I've had sex with several guys who I would refer to as straight." true, because it's only gay if the balls touch?

Posted by: litper | Apr 8, 2014 12:11:24 PM

18. YAWN!

Posted by: Tre | Apr 8, 2014 12:13:03 PM

19. @ "So not 24 hours ago, the self-appointed guardians of morality on this site..."

Who dat?

She can be (or become) whatever the f.ck she wants to. She's a former Queer bissxual, and now she's straight. But most importantly, she's kinda' cute.

I'm here thinking about Lyndon Johnson and you disturb with this sh.t.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 8, 2014 12:15:06 PM

20. oh look here, it's the animosity and of the leftist sexual orientation police.

didnt see that coming

Posted by: jaker | Apr 8, 2014 12:31:37 PM

21. Sexuality, particularly in women, is fluid. And science is only now starting to understand human bisexuality. Give her a break.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 8, 2014 12:57:47 PM

22. @derrick from philly

if she can "She can be (or become) whatever the f.ck she wants to" then we shouldnt be against the ex-gays or think conversion therapy is quackery.

You more or less just said its a choice

Posted by: Homo Genius | Apr 8, 2014 1:18:58 PM

23. @ "You more or less just said its a choice"

For her it is. If you're not certain about your sexuality when you're young (teens, twenties), then for folks like that (especially bisexuals) it may be a choice.

Those of us who were adamantly sure of our EXCLUSIVE same sex attaction by the time we reached our twenties--we're born that way.
    And it's just my opinion. Human psychology AINT my area.

Now, please let me go back to Lyndon Johnson.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 8, 2014 1:30:05 PM

24. Derrick,

You homophobic, self-hating fool, there is a difference between a young person discovering all of the aspects of their sexuality and someone changing their sexuality. The former happens all the time, the latter never happens. And even if you credited every ex-gay account as true, it would happen only very rarely and almost always with "divine intervention".

Posted by: Tyler | Apr 8, 2014 1:44:20 PM

25. Oh Rick (Homo Genius, Jaker, Sam, Litper, Freak and Devon), posting under my name to attack one of the commenters I get along with the most doesn't fool anyone.

The only homophobic, self-hating fool on this site is you, and we all know that. In fact we remind you of it everyday.

Also, posting under 6 usernames in one thread is pretty sad.

Posted by: Tyler | Apr 8, 2014 2:11:24 PM