Laverne Cox | News

Laverne Cox Moves to Top Spot in Time 100 Poll

Cox

The TIME 100 Reader Poll is currently underway and Laverne Cox is sitting pretty at the top spot.

TIME reports:

Transgender actress Laverne Cox ignited her fan base when she retweeted the TIME 100 Reader Poll, launching her ahead of pop star Justin Bieber, who had previously occupied the top spot. The controversial Canadian songster held second place Friday morning, but had soon dropped to fourth–and has earned more votes against him than for, making him the most polarizing figure on the reader poll.

Though the final TIME 100 list of the most influential people of the year worldwide is ultimately chosen by the editors, TIME seeks the input of readers in an online poll.

Polls close 11:59 PM on April 22. Vote here

Comments

1. Voting in the fattest girl for Prom Queen. Old prank.

Posted by: Arrow | Apr 20, 2014 9:07:46 PM

2. So exciting! It's amazing to watch Laverne's notoriety and impact continue to grow exponentially. I hope she ultimately places high on Time's list.

Posted by: JMC | Apr 20, 2014 9:52:58 PM

3. Lovely. How about voting for someone who actually matters?

Posted by: KJ | Apr 21, 2014 12:41:29 AM

4. Time offers a real flock of turkeys in its Media category. What a joke.

Posted by: melvin | Apr 21, 2014 1:40:32 AM

5. I guess this proves that there are a bunch of unemployed trannies with too much time on their manhands. Anyway, thanks for the alert, Towleroad. Going there now to vote against him/her/it.

Always fight against antigay trans activists and do not think for one minute that they support LGBs.

Posted by: Sami | Apr 21, 2014 1:24:21 PM

6. I guess this proves that there are a bunch of unemployed trannies with too much time on their manhands. Anyway, thanks for the alert, Towleroad. Going there now to vote against him/her/it.

Posted by: Sami | Apr 21, 2014 1:25:00 PM

7. @ SAMI,

very nasty comment.

Ms Cox is an actress/artist who has the guts to perform.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 21, 2014 1:31:51 PM

8. @ SAMI,

very nasty comment.

Ms Cox is an actress/artist who has the guts to perform.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 21, 2014 1:32:01 PM

9. She's also a very articulate activist who talks eloquently about the struggles of being a transwoman of color.

Posted by: Derrick | Apr 21, 2014 1:43:17 PM

10. This is wonderful. Thank you Laverne for all that you are doing. Keep up the great work.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 21, 2014 1:43:44 PM

11. This is wonderful. Thank you Laverne for all that you are doing. Keep up the great work.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 21, 2014 1:43:45 PM

12. This is wonderful. Thank you Laverne for all that you are doing. Keep up the great work.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 21, 2014 1:43:51 PM

13. This is wonderful. Thank you Laverne for all that you are doing. Keep up the great work.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 21, 2014 1:44:21 PM

14. Laverne is awesome. Transphobic a-holes are not.

Posted by: Mikey | Apr 21, 2014 1:59:06 PM

15. Laverne is awesome. Transphobic a-holes are not.

Posted by: Mikey | Apr 21, 2014 1:59:07 PM

16. Laverne is awesome. Transphobic a-holes are not.

Posted by: Mikey | Apr 21, 2014 2:00:21 PM

17. @SAMI, I can hear you softly chuckling as you type out "manhands," and "him/her/it," thinking you are so clever and witty. Look, you guys, at how cool I am. I know how to make fun of a trans person!

You are no better than a homophobe or a racist. Transphobia, much like homophobia, is a manifestation of a combination of fear, ignorance, and lack of education. Your hatred only highlights your lack of intelligence and an inability to face your fears.

Posted by: Lucas | Apr 21, 2014 2:14:29 PM

18. Sorry, Lucas, but you are 100% wrong. I started out as pro-trans. I did not give much thought to the significance of adding the "T". If anyone had asked me back then, I would have supported it. Although I had little experience with them back then, my view of them was generally favorable.

My current views are the result of getting MORE information and having MORE experience with trans activists. I saw how they have used and exploited gay people. I read their blogs and saw how they hold us in contempt, and see us as a resource to be exploited. I have seen them attack LGBs and our organizations, one after the other. And I see the horrible way they treat one another as well as people they call "cis scum."

So if my current negative views about trans activists are in fact "transphobic" then that is the result of education, not the lack of it.

Posted by: Sami | Apr 21, 2014 6:47:28 PM

19. @Sami: you must have been a pretty crappy ally if a few online whiners are enough to cause you to stop supporting a large and varied minority.

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Apr 21, 2014 10:02:23 PM