News | Oklahoma | Tornado | Westboro Baptist Church

Westboro Baptist Church (Literally) Run Out of Moore, OK After Crowds Threaten Violence: VIDEO

Moore

The Westboro Baptist Church  came to Moore, Oklahoma on Sunday afternoon to picket in front of Plaza Towers Elementary School, saying that God sent a deadly tornado last year in retribution for America's tolerance of gay people. The 2013 tornado killed 24 people.

Hundreds of people came to counterprotest the church, and, as you can see from the video, things almost turned violent as several residents tried to cross the street and were challenged by police officers before the WBC church members turned tail and ran.

WBC had a permit for a 30 minute picket, but it lasted 8, according to local media.

After Westboro fled, a woman leading the counterprotest reprimanded several members of the crowd for threatening to take matters into their own hands, asserting that the purpose of the counterprotest was to raise money for the school so that the kids could buy computers.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_wbc

Comments

1. Klassy. Nothing like mob aggression to start the day.

Posted by: David in Toronto | Apr 7, 2014 8:36:27 AM

2. Embarrassing. Not for WBC but for those who didn't let them be.

They have a right to hold a demonstration no matter what. I defend their right to do that no matter how much I disagree with their message. For some men (who looked like thugs to me) to threaten them physically is wrong. It's embarrassing. That's not the way to go. In fact, truth to be told, that's going even below the level of WBC. Way below.

Posted by: Jude | Apr 7, 2014 8:46:52 AM

3. "They have a right to hold a demonstration no matter what"

They shouldn't and so glad it wouldn't fly in my country. I don't blame them for being upset. Of course attacking them isn't the answer, even if we really, really want to.

"In fact, truth to be told, that's going even below the level of WBC. Way below."

You have GOT to be kidding me.

Posted by: Will | Apr 7, 2014 8:55:49 AM

4. lovin' me some chaps right now! They're NOT welcomed get it!

Posted by: St.Eve | Apr 7, 2014 8:56:34 AM

5. The desire to use emotional pain and loss as a way to get publicity doesn't work in Westboro Baptist Church's favor.

Posted by: Trolliollio | Apr 7, 2014 9:22:08 AM

6. I'm with you on that one Will. I didn't see any physical threats in this video. I saw people getting heated and walking into the road but no physical threats and quite frankly if they did make threats could you honestly blame them? You wouldnt know if some of the 24 that had died were family members of those people. The things that come out of the members of the WBC or some of the most vile and disgusting things I have ever heard come out of peoples mouths. They aim to hurt people with their words and to be honest if they were to take a punch or two from time to time for saying them it honestly wouldnt bother me and I dont have a violent bone in my body.

Posted by: Fionn in Ireland | Apr 7, 2014 9:25:15 AM

7. I'm still trying to figure out which side was scarier. I don't think that I'll be going to Moore, OK anytime soon unless it's to look for some orange day-glo rims for my VW.

Posted by: MIke | Apr 7, 2014 9:36:20 AM

8. this is the negative (wrong) way to protest against the WBC

Posted by: matt | Apr 7, 2014 9:40:04 AM

9. all religions are cults

Posted by: matt | Apr 7, 2014 9:47:49 AM

10. Will wrote: They shouldn't and so glad it wouldn't fly in my country.

And no, I wasn't kidding. I do think threat of violence is always worse than some hateful, intolerant words. Always. So yes, those thugs did act worse than WBC and therefore I do think they are one step below WBC. Way to go!

Posted by: Jude | Apr 7, 2014 10:19:13 AM

11. I agree with Jude. I believe in freedom of speech, blah blah blah. But I also think this kind of reaction is inevitable and I'm shocked that it took this long. I honestly just wish people would ignore them, but that's easier said than done. I also think if my family members had died in a tornado and some simpering idiots in corduroy skirts showed up and sneered about it, freedom of speech would fly out the window and I would lose it.

Posted by: AJ | Apr 7, 2014 10:31:06 AM

12. I believe in the freedom to express yourself, but while expressing extreme and contentious provocative views you have to be ready for natural human reactions and potentially dangerous consequences. I'm amazed they haven't been lynched yet. I think people have given them some leeway because they are like a cartoonish circus sideshow, they are so absurd. But people are losing patience and not finding it funny any more.
    It's like, if someone constantly taunted you about your mother dying, eventually you're going to snap and become very violent. That's a perfectly understandable reaction imo.

Posted by: DANSWON | Apr 7, 2014 10:45:55 AM

13. Perhaps Will is Canadian. In Canada, hate speech is not protected and, in most cases, is illegal. Because of their history, members of the WBC are barred from entering Canada and have been stopped at the border and airports several times.

This is not an infringement of free speech - I liken it to yelling 'Fire!' in a crowded theatre. It is contrary to the common interest of the public.

And BTW, Canada has a far better track record on freedom of speech and personal freedom than these United States.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Apr 7, 2014 10:49:43 AM

14. Did anyone get that line about 'Malaysia Airlines'?

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Apr 7, 2014 11:03:32 AM

15. I disagree with JUDE. Westboro incites hatred in front of emotionally volatile people. They deserve violence.

Posted by: Mikey | Apr 7, 2014 11:08:07 AM

16. The only thing WBC doesn't have coming is any kind of governmental protection. The Canadians rightly ban them and justifiably offer no protection for hate speech. Words are deeds which is why I am happy, nay thrilled, to say that I would immolate the WBC on the spot. That I would thus be stooping to their level is easy to refute: no I wouldn't.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 7, 2014 11:11:42 AM

17. Poke at a hornets' nest long enough and you are likely to get hurt. The simple fact that WBC goes after emotionally charged situations, and purposefully seeks to agitate those already hurting renders them undeserving of sympathy or support. They aren't interested in discourse, the sole purpose to their endeavors is to upset people.

Posted by: LiamB | Apr 7, 2014 11:21:53 AM

18. "They shouldn't? It wouldn't fly in your country? I guess your country doesn't believe in freedom of speech, then."

Sure we do, with reasonable limits like hate speech. We stopped this group from entering when they wanted to picket a funeral here. They're banned from lots of other countries too.

Yes MikeBoston, I'm Canadian. I agree with everything you said.

Posted by: Will | Apr 7, 2014 11:47:43 AM

19. Listen to all the pro-"free speech" jingoism being trotted out here. Cue animal cries of "U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!". If Westboro doesn't at least make you reconsider the concept of "free speech" as it's allowed in the US, then you're about as stupid as the Phelps klan.

And if the abuses of the 2nd Amendment by the Rehnquist court, and the abuses-to-come of the 1st Amendment by the Roberts court don't make you reconsider the way the US does things, then you deserve what's coming to you.

I'd vote for fewer guns, less religion, and less free speech this afternoon if we could get it on the ballot.

Posted by: Ewe Essay | Apr 7, 2014 11:51:09 AM

20. I hope WBC gets a bill for all the police protection they required.

Posted by: Chadd | Apr 7, 2014 12:17:44 PM

21. Christians vs. Christians. Love it. May the worst ones win. Or lose. Who cares? They're all despicable.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 7, 2014 1:06:55 PM

22. as MikeBoston points out, Canada has had, for more than 20 years, very specific, explicitly written and detailed, discerning Hate Speech laws. We also have, amazingly, a more free press in Canada. Hate Speech legislations, and yet more freedom in our newsmedia and broadcasting.

Because it's not about "unpopular" speech, or "controversial" speech, or "mean" speech - it's speech that exists solely to target hatred toward a specifically-targeted group or individual.

Yes, the WBC are banned from entering canada with their signs because of this. And I remain disappointed at the lack of intellectual understandings of nuance when i hear people say "they have a right to blah blah blah" - for decades (heck, CENTURIES) Canada, just to the north of y'all, has figured out the solutions to things that still baffle and confuse the US.

We have stricter guidelines for news broadcasting - hence a "fox news" can't and won't exist on our public networks. We have hate speech laws.

make no mistake - these two massively important details a MASSSSSSIVE reason that the country is not mired in the B.S. lie that is "there are two sides to the LGBT Equality Arguments" nonsense that the US media still trots out.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 7, 2014 1:11:56 PM

23. You know you've jumped the shark when your religiosity is too right-wing crazy for central Oklahoma.

Posted by: The Milkman | Apr 7, 2014 1:12:26 PM

24. many of my american friends even reduce the hate speech laws argument to "i'll defend your right to say f**k you, because i have the freedom to say f**k you, back."

problem is, it ain't illegal to say f**k you in Canada. in fact you can say it on prime time television and it doesn't get bleeped out.

nuance. please.

PLEASE

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 7, 2014 1:24:26 PM

25. 24 people died and WBC thought it'd be fun to try and shame a community - just like they do with EVERYTHING. At some point, people will say enough is enough.

Posted by: reality | Apr 7, 2014 1:46:39 PM