Hedwig and the Angry Inch | Neil Patrick Harris | Theatre

Neil Patrick Harris On Why He Loves Performing 'Hedwig': VIDEO

Hedwig

Openly gay actor Neil Patrick Harris spoke with the Associated Press recently about why he enjoys performing as the titular character of John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask's rock musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

He said that the repetition of doing the show every day gives him a chance to really enjoy the performance again and again, especially compared to his one-shot hostings of the Tony Awards.

Harris has been getting great press since his role was first announced. Good Morning America provided a behind-the-scenes look of the musical and some the show's proceeds will go towards helping LGBT youth. Plus, fans  also have the Hedwig sequel to look forward to.

Harris/Hedwig even sat on Towleroad founder Andy Towle's face — Andy advises people watching in the first few rows to prepare themselves.

Watch the interview AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Who cares?

Posted by: Gare | Apr 25, 2014 12:07:16 PM

2. Gay role model enjoys performing on stage in wig, bra and panty-hose. Way to smash those gay stereotypes.

This should definitely encourage more athletes to come out of the closet and acknowledge being gay. Not.

Posted by: Karl | Apr 25, 2014 12:29:49 PM

3. GARE: Well... you do... or do you just troll articles and post stupid comments out of boredom?

KARL: Too bad you don't get the show.

OTHERS: It's a fantastic show and Neil holds his own. It's an incredible performance.
    An exciting evening at the theater.
    Rock On, Hedwig!!

Posted by: JimmyD | Apr 25, 2014 12:34:38 PM

4. Dead on Jimmy, the show is great and so was NPH. I have to say, though, Lena blew me away too, she is one to watch!

Posted by: Kenneth | Apr 25, 2014 1:00:06 PM

5. Dead on Jimmy, the show is great and so was NPH. I have to say, though, Lena blew me away too, she is one to watch!

Posted by: Kenneth | Apr 25, 2014 1:00:09 PM

6. KENNETH: YES! She (he) is fantastic! Did you get your Playbill for 'The Hurt Locker - The Musical'??

Posted by: JimmyD | Apr 25, 2014 1:41:30 PM

7. you know, the film version came out the year after *I* Came Out - it was one of those things my entire family bonded over loving. dad and i blasting the CD in the car, as a newly-Out teen it proved to be a wonderful thing to share with my family. some of the most achingly incredible music ever written.

the impact this show has had on so many people is incredible. there are many of my generation who have an "origin of love" tattoo, if you know what i mean :)

the show inspires you to embrace yourself. and only a cowardly hack would say otherwise.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 25, 2014 2:00:03 PM

8. Of course I get it! I interviewed famous transexual performer "Brandy Lee" for a gay newspaper. I was out at 18 and it required no fanfare from my family. Gay is a sexuality, not my defining characteristic. What Harris is doing is hardly new or novel. He's no "trailblazer" because today there is no trail.

Posted by: Gare | Apr 25, 2014 2:18:01 PM

9. prove it, "Gare". URL plz.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 25, 2014 2:24:33 PM

10. Karl:

I agree that it might have been better if he had passed on this gig. But this is a starring role in a Broadway production and the role has been played by straight guys and at least 1 straight woman. Given that, and given that NPH has played so many different roles, from teen doctor to fascist military officer to stoner to womanizer, that don't think his stint as Hedwig is a big deal. If anything, his interviews in which he explains just how much work he had to do in order to understand the character and get comfortable with the role underscores that there is no inherent connection b/t being gay and being transgender/crossdresser.

Little Kiwi:

When the Miller family was rocking out to Origins of Love in the family Mercedes Benz, I bet your mom and dad were harbored hopes that you would find someone to love and that you would have a happy adult life. Yet 15 years and one hairline later, you have no one. You hook up on Grindr with people who don't care about you, and you spend your time posting bitter comments online.
    How did it all go so wrong?

Posted by: Andrew | Apr 25, 2014 2:28:18 PM

11. I have nothing to prove to a one note sage. I've revealed many personal issues on this site, but no one reads anything beyond one line. If you can't connect the dots it's not my fault. My sexuality is no secret to TIME, CBS, Hollywood Reporter, TMZ or any other site I make comments on. My comments are very highly rated on "The Daily Mail." I can be intellectual or a sharp insult comic. I turned to "Towle" because i was too much for "The Advocate." Couldn't get excited enough about Thomas Roberts I suppose. I understand where you come from Kiwi. :)

Posted by: Gare | Apr 25, 2014 2:34:14 PM

12. Why does it still surprise me that even the Gays have a huge share in the Internet Troll Camp?

Posted by: JimmyD | Apr 25, 2014 2:34:47 PM

13. hey obsessive troll!
    1. we had a Volvo :)
    2. they know my lover(s) and are happy that I'm happy. i have "no one" - because there's more than one. :)
    3. illness in 2007 that kept me bedridden for 6 months, made my hair fall out in clumps, and saw me drop down to 105lbs may have taken my hair, but it did not take my life (which i feared it would) nor did it take away my ability to live out loud.
    4. no Grindr shame here :) as a polyamorous sort it's a useful tool.

5. nice to know that you can't help but think about me, rather than the actual story. you prove that you think about me. a lot. like, a *LOT*.

BTW, everyone - check out "WIG IN A BOX" - it's a compilation of artists covering songs from hedwig! Cyndi Lauper's version of "Midnight Radio" will tear your heart out.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 25, 2014 2:36:59 PM

14. LITTLE KIWI: In honor of the show opening, I put 'Wig in a Box' on my phone! It IS a great album!

Posted by: JimmyD | Apr 25, 2014 2:39:18 PM

15. @JIMMYD - RIGHT?!?!? it's a sick album - track after track just dazzles. the breeders' "wicked little town" and Lauper's "Midnight Radio" have become permanent staples of my life :)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 25, 2014 2:42:41 PM

16. Of course you had a Volvo. You might relate to a web site that I think I referred you to before. By this time my brother had already been diagnosed, but lived a long time. Google: Rick Bebout It's been humorously compared to "War and Peace" in length, but Ricky sure left his imprint on Gay Canadian History. We were very different and separated by age. My self story contains a far different drama, but equally challenging. Glad you made it though 2007 and are healthy now. My brother would raise a glass to your numerous "more than one" status.

Posted by: Gare | Apr 25, 2014 2:50:33 PM

17. I'm very familiar with Bebout - i've referenced him in videos i've made with my Mum on my youtube channel. We used to talk, actually. when i was newbie. he and george hislop both had many conversations with me.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 25, 2014 2:56:32 PM

18. http://www.rbebout.com My brother meant this to be a gift. And I promise I am not mentioned in it.

Posted by: Gary Bebout | Apr 25, 2014 2:57:45 PM

19. @KARL Exactly. It seems that every time a gay man who is mainstream comes out, he immediately stops being mainstream and becomes a stereotypical fag.....whether Thomas Roberts or the former college football captain who was elected to the Pennsylvania Assembly (can't remember his name) or, now Neil Patrick Harris.

I guess they don't realize or care about the damage they are doing, but it is considerable.....

Posted by: Rick | Apr 25, 2014 7:09:43 PM

20. @rick. please enlighten us how thomas roberts and that football player went "stereotypical fag". this should be good

"wicked little town" is amazing, likewise nph. love that guy.

Posted by: jaker | Apr 25, 2014 8:04:48 PM

21. "My brother would raise a glass to your numerous "more than one" status."

Hey, Gare, promiscuity ain't a status. It's a practice.

Hear that, Raymond? This fellow's brother, who died a painful, premature death from AIDS, would soooo endorse your assembly-line approach to sex partners. I think he says "would endorse" because, you know, the brother is too busy decaying to personally bless your loveless pursuit of orgasms. But rest assured, if there wasn't a clew of earthworms traversing big bro's skull at the present time, he would surely be right here, cheering on your empty hookups and your use of other people as pleasure tools to be acquired via a commercial app. Liberation!

Posted by: Andrew | Apr 26, 2014 2:52:25 PM

22. Andrew the Obsessive Cowardly Troll - there's this incredible new invention called a "Condom" that those of us who are able to be sexually active use for protection. But don't worry - you'll never get laid so you don't need to worry about how to use them. I'm sorry that nobody wants you. It's clearly made you miserable.

I do love this site's cowardly anonymous trolls, through. Well, TrOLL, singular. You're proof of what a man is reduced to if he never locates his spine.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 26, 2014 3:02:27 PM

23. as long as those who hate "stereotypical f@gs" remain closted cowards, we steretypical f@gs are doing something right :) if our truth and our lives keep you hidden and away from having any real power, it's worth it. die in there. you're not missed.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 26, 2014 3:13:56 PM

24. You are not a f@g and neither am I. A life that consists of one loveless hookup after another isn't wrong because it is stereotypical or because of the Bible or because of some notion of "sin" or because of the reactions of straight people. It is wrong because it doesn't work. It will make you sadder, sicker, more anxious, less connected, and more likely to end up like Gare's older brother.

You have this thing about wishing death and pain on others. But I don't wish it on you. So stop and take a second look at things, alright?

Posted by: Andrew | Apr 26, 2014 7:34:41 PM

25. ..... " Openly gay actor NPH ... " REALLY ? Can we just put an end to the preamble already .. it's 2014 And a Gay site to boot !!

Posted by: MarkBoston | Apr 28, 2014 2:23:55 AM