Northern Ireland Rejects Marriage Equality Bill in 51-43 Vote

Northern Ireland's assembly has blocked a marriage equality bill, the Guardian reports:

NorthernirelandA Sinn Féin motion to bring in gay marriage to Northern Ireland was defeated by 51 votes to 43. It was the third time in the past 18 months that Stormont has rejected same-sex marriage. But the human rights organisation said those who had used their veto in the assembly were "like latter-day King Canutes, trying in vain to hold back the tide of equality".

Patrick Corrigan, Amnesty's programme director in Northern Ireland, said: "States may not discriminate with regards to the right to marry and found a family on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

"That obligation is clear in international law. This means that marriage should be available to same-sex couples in Northern Ireland, just as it is now in England and Wales and will shortly be in Scotland."

Comments

1. radtastic says

It has nothing to do with Catholic bishops or Catholics. The bill was sunk by Ulster Unionists. They are the same people who gave you the American South.

All Catholic Nationalists politicians voted for the bill. Almost all Protestant Unionists voted against it. Unionists have never been inclined to recognize the rights of anyone but themselves.

2. BreckRoy says

@Simon, that is a fairly ignorant statement in this case…Northern Ireland is a majority Protestant country and Sinn Fein, the party trying legalize marriage equality is the CATHOLIC party in the country. As noted, the Catholics supported and voted for marriage equality in lockstep and it was the Protestant unionists (who have quite an ugly, bihoted past…including bullying and intimidating the Catholics of the country) who killed equality. In this story, Catholics are fighting for our rights.

3. MaryM says

The reality is that that UK wants nothing to do with Northern Ireland and would gladly be rid of it. The Republic of Ireland will take it happily but those extremist protestant unionist freaks – who defeated this bill, are spoiling life for everyone.

4. simon says

BRECKROY:
    You mean the Catholic bishops there support marriage equality? It is obviously impossible because they will be out of their jobs. The bright side of that is they no longer have influence on their “flock”.

5. simon says

Actually news did say that the Catholic bishops sent a letter to the members of parliament warning them the bill will harm the “common good” of something. Blah Blah Blah. Obviously to no effect. They must feel a bit sad the once glorious institution has fallen to such a sorry state. Perhaps some modern day Gibbon should write a book about “The Decline and Fall of the Catholic Church”.

6. radtastic says

Every single Catholic/Nationalist politician voted for the bill. That means the bishops views and the bishops letters had zero effect. It’s a sad fact of Northern Irish life that Unionists believe no one else should enjoy the legal rights they take for granted. That’s what the war was about.

7. John says

It is encouraging that Sinn Fein, the political wing of the Provisional IRA, and the party that gets the overwhelming majority of Irish Catholic votes in northern Ireland, fully supports gay equality throughout Ireland.

The people in Northern Ireland who killed the gay marriage bill were pro-British Protestants who have a well earned reputation for being intolerant and backward. Think the KKK of the American South.

8. TKinSC says

Meanwhile, the leader of Sinn Fein, Gerry Adams, was just arrested for murder. That shows the morality of those who argue for homosexual “marriage”.

9. simon says

TKINSC:
    The Crusaders in the eleventh century killed thousands of innocents in the massacre of Jerusalem. Your Church talked about morality? Give me a break.

10. simon says

To refresh you selected memory.
    According to Raymond of Aguilers, chronicler of the First Crusade, recorded:
    “in the Temple and porch of Solomon men rode in blood up to their knees and bridle reins.”

11. tkinsc aka tinklebelle says

My doctor said my memory is technically called a “memory dump”. I can’t remember exactly. I have said something like this before. I am not “homosexual” but I married my father to get some tax benefits. Is that a “moral” thing to do? I am not sure.

12. rick says

@tkinsc:
    You could have married your mother. I did it myself. I don’t recommend it. That was my experience. I would like to propose to you again. I think we are quite compatible. We will have a great life together.

13. TKINSC says

Oh, sorry folks…I just realized I made a logical fallacy. Guilt by association. My bad. Quite clearly, a murder charge for a member of Sinn Fein doesn’t a Sinn Fein general morality make. I’m a stupid idiot troll who needs to STFU. Bye gays…I mean guys.