New York | News

NYC West Village's Manatus Diner Closes

Manatus

Some unfortunate news from Vanishing New York:

This is a sad day for the Village. Manatus has been in business since the mid-1980s, catering to the local LGBT clientele, and it is the last affordable, down-to-earth place to eat in that hyper-gentrified plastic part of town. I had my last meal there a couple months ago and didn't know it.

If the original rumor is completely true, then a Calvin Klein store is taking Manatus' place.

Comments

1. There's very little left of the gay West Village.

Posted by: Albert | Apr 7, 2014 11:25:21 AM

2. sad to see it go, i remember sitting outside on one beautiful night in the late 90's, once Florent went, everything goes.

Posted by: Cd in DC | Apr 7, 2014 11:54:11 AM

3. I am loving that "Vanishing New York" website...brings back so many great memories of my years there...but I'm also glad I don't live there now...

Posted by: Myackie | Apr 7, 2014 12:49:42 PM

4. This is so sad! I've had many a great brunch there and quite a few breakfasts after a night out. The West Village is just a name anymore. I mean the place where A Different Light once was is now a maternity clothing shop! Well, since Ralph Lauren et al all have boutique shops in The West Village, I guess Calvin had to get his in there too. One more reason to consider that the NYC I now live in is no longer a city at all but one big, shopping-mall, theme park. I am glad and grateful I moved here and lived here from the mid-1970s onward. At least, I got to experience the real nitty-gritty NYC and not what it has now become. New York City, particularly Manhattan, is simply just too overbuilt, too over-priced and way, way over-rated. This is what happens when too many heterosexual white people with money move in. They ruin everything.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 7, 2014 1:02:12 PM

5. OH NO !!! As a rural Mississippian that only got to visit NYC sporadically, MANATUS was the one MUST on every trip. I will be lost without this landmark of what was so wonderful about visiting. I can still see a show, ride around the park, but finding the restaurant that was as warm and welcoming and affordable may be something that is lost forever. How sad.

Posted by: Scott | Apr 7, 2014 1:58:10 PM

6. Feel free to imagine that this is some sort of 'gentrification' that's driving gay establishments out of the neighborhood...

... but I've lived in NYC since the late '90s, and I've walked by this place a gazillion times and never thought about going in. Why? Because it looks gross. Bad signage. Boring menu. And when I actually looked on Yelp, they're full of people saying pretty awful things.

Was I somehow supposed to know that this was a gay-owned restaurant? Are they sponsoring LGBT events or community groups in NYC, and I somehow missed that?

There are still plenty of affordable food options in the West Village. But if you're going to run a diner, you've got to be on your A game.

Posted by: GMB | Apr 7, 2014 4:03:07 PM

7. and before that location was Manatus it was Clydes. Where I had so much fun after my shift at Las Ventannas on the corner. Life goes on.

Posted by: fist2elbow | Apr 7, 2014 4:41:39 PM

8. The West Village has become a gentrified tourist trap.

Posted by: jarago | Apr 7, 2014 5:19:23 PM

9. UGH Im sick...I used to LOVE going here...so many mems...during one of my recent visits back home to NY, there was a blizzard, and THAT was NOT stopping me from going...as I treked through windy snow, and snow covered streets to get there..to bring my ex/buddy...can't...so disappointed...

Posted by: Christian | Apr 7, 2014 8:38:57 PM

10. This is one of those places I took for granted, thinking it would always be around. It seemed like it has. I can still remember the first time I ate there back in July of 1998 while dating someone (I remained friends with since). Countless late night/morning meals and side dishes after an evening of bar hopping and parties in the neighborhood. The West Village is not the same as it was a few years ago. I'm not liking it.

Posted by: Giovanni | Apr 7, 2014 8:47:27 PM

11. There is nothing special left in the west village. It's overpriced, and commercialized pretty much like the rest of Manhattan which has become the playground for the rich with cramped, overpriced condos going up everywhere.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Apr 8, 2014 1:42:49 AM

12. "There is nothing special left in the west village. It's overpriced, and commercialized pretty much like the rest of Manhattan which has become the playground for the rich with cramped, overpriced condos going up everywhere.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Apr 8, 2014 1:42:49 AM"

But hey, if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere!

Posted by: EchtKultig | Apr 8, 2014 3:16:47 AM

13. Sad about Calvin Klein but there were much better diner/coffee shop alternatives than Manatus, was only there twice in 15 years, both times bad, Bus Stop and Village Den much better.

Posted by: NwYrkr | Apr 8, 2014 8:26:02 AM

14. To GMB, who said, "This restaurant isn't closing because people don't like gay old New York. It's closing because it simply became a bad restaurant." No, guess again. The rent was increased by the greedy landlord from $20,000 a month to $50,000 a month. You might want to get your facts straight before you comment.

Posted by: Monkey | Apr 8, 2014 10:33:11 PM

15. This is what happens when you let straight people move in....you can't kill them and you can't eat them...!!!

Posted by: Greg | Apr 9, 2014 2:52:30 AM