News | Sprint

Sprint Calls Man 'Gay Sissyboy' in Customer Service Email: VIDEO

Sissyboy

After calling the phone company over the weekend about an error in his account, Kelvin Matthews received an email response from Sprint — while he was still on the phone with the company — addressed to 'Sissyboy Kelvin Gay Mathews', NBC News reports:

MatthewsMathews said he originally called the company Sunday because he was still receiving messages from a Sprint account he thought he closed. He told a customer service representative about his issue and was directed to check the status of his phone on his online account. When he couldn’t remember his login information, he said the representative sent him an email with instructions.

When he received the email, however, he was shocked and called customer service again.

“I expressed my concerns to them and how serious this is to me and my wife,” he said. “I don’t live a homosexual life, I never gave Sprint anything to go on and think that, and even if I did I don’t think it would be fair to say this on my account.”

Sprint said its investigation is ongoing but did acknowledge the error.

Added Matthews: “To have this email is a form of degrading someone and I think people need to know about it. They’re not treating customers like they should.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. How does that happen...?

Posted by: Will | Apr 16, 2014 8:53:51 AM

2. "I don't live a homosexual life."

Hopefully now he will learn empathy.

Posted by: Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman in 2016 | Apr 16, 2014 9:04:43 AM

3. And that is what we have been putting up with for generations.

Are we fighting back ? Yes.
    Does that make us bullies ? No.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 16, 2014 9:08:37 AM

4. Hopefully someone at Sprint has just lost their job. If any upper management know about previous customer insults, and have not corrected the problem, then they need to lose their job also.

Posted by: Jere | Apr 16, 2014 9:18:55 AM

5. Good. Some borderline homophobe gets a taste of what we have to put up with every day.

PDS: why does he dress like he's in the chorus for 'Guys and Dolls'?

Posted by: Steerpike | Apr 16, 2014 9:27:57 AM

6. 'I don't lead a homosexual life'

as opposed to

'I'm not gay'

Interesting distinction: he obviously realizes that lots of men with wives and kids DO lead 'homosexual lives' without being out and gay.

Posted by: Steerpike | Apr 16, 2014 9:30:00 AM

7. Two homophobes in a comedy of errors.

Posted by: will | Apr 16, 2014 9:32:56 AM

8. @STEERPIKE - I agree, that is a really odd thing to say but I don’t think he said “I don’t lead a homosexual life” because he knows of guys on the DL. Instead, he is probably a church goer who is repeating the terminology he hears at the pulpit.

Posted by: Will | Apr 16, 2014 9:34:57 AM

9. If I'm not mistaken, that "name" is generated by whatever HE entered as his name when he initiated the chat. I smell a rat in this one.

Posted by: Lee Keels | Apr 16, 2014 9:39:47 AM

10. This kind of attention will cost Sprint. He certainly knows how to get even, good for him.

It's a good example of "get even" don't get angry. Much better than "turn the other cheek."

Posted by: james st. james | Apr 16, 2014 9:40:32 AM

11. Not buying it...

Posted by: Gerry | Apr 16, 2014 9:42:56 AM

12. Boy, that was a thrill ride of sympathy - I felt bad for the guy, and then - oh, the problem is that you're not gay and you're outraged for that reason alone? If you weren't black I'd want you to get taught a lesson, but you already know it so I don't know what your damned problem is.

Posted by: Tigernan | Apr 16, 2014 9:45:43 AM

13. I agree with whoever said that the information seems auto generated - and that somebody is trying realllllly hard to cover his tracks.

Posted by: Tigernan | Apr 16, 2014 9:46:59 AM

14. Somebody was using a sprint email for his DL activities.

Posted by: Qj201 | Apr 16, 2014 9:47:09 AM

15. Why are commenters here abusing the victim? Because he looks "churchy"?

Did anyone bother to read the part of his quote where he said "and even if I did I don’t think it would be fair to say this on my account"? Whether by "account" he means his Sprint account, or as a [false] description of his life, he acknowledges that Sprint was abusive and used inappropriate language against someone they believed(?) or assumed(?) to be gay.

He's not a hater, but y'all are.

Posted by: Hansel Currywurst | Apr 16, 2014 9:48:31 AM

16. It's pretty obvious Mr. Matthews had another account with Sprint he was attempting to close when in turn he was addressed by Sprint using the very account he was attempting to close, Gretel Liverworst.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Apr 16, 2014 9:59:51 AM

17. Hansel, are you making those stupid multiple accounts up yourself? My god you have no imagination.

Posted by: Tigernan | Apr 16, 2014 10:15:36 AM

18. Hansel, are you making those stupid multiple accounts up yourself? My god you have no imagination.

Posted by: Tigernan | Apr 16, 2014 10:15:36 AM

19. A similar situation happened to a friend of mine at Hermes in NYC. He called them out on it. They sent him a free necktie as a means of apology.

Posted by: Sharpp | Apr 16, 2014 10:27:59 AM

20. Boycott.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Apr 16, 2014 10:39:08 AM

21. Company auto emails and auto letters are computer generated, garbage in garbage out as has been proven numerous times with these people running to the media on how they were "addressed".

Posted by: Mike | Apr 16, 2014 10:47:54 AM

22. TIGERNANCY - He would recognize his own screen name and know not to complain about it ON NBC NEWS since Sprint would just tell NBC that the message uses the account screen name as a salutation. Sprint didn't say that to NBC, so....

Duh.

Posted by: Hansel Currywurst | Apr 16, 2014 11:23:03 AM

23. Apparently his gay vibe extends to his ring tone.

Posted by: anon | Apr 16, 2014 11:31:49 AM

24. If calling someone a gay sissyboy is merely an "error," then the word "error" has lost all objective meaning.

Posted by: jomicur | Apr 16, 2014 11:46:17 AM

25. You had to be there. You could hear a pin drop.

Posted by: Gary | Apr 16, 2014 1:20:51 PM