David Burtka | Drag Queens | Film and TV | Neil Patrick Harris | RuPaul | Television

Tops and Bottoms: Power Ranking 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Episode 10 — RECAP

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 3.01.42 AM

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something halleloo: It's the runway of the brides, except this white wedding has a gender-bending twist. The female partner is decked out in a tux and their husbands-to-be are transformed by the remaining queens into beautiful(ish) brides.

Move over, Macklemore and Queen Latifah, there's a new marriage equality master in town, and RuPaul be her name.

Find out who said YASSSSSS to the dress, and how we ranked the queens this week, AFTER THE JUMP

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 3.13.24 AM

Before we dove into wedding planning, tonight's mini-challenge celebrated marriage equality by creating "twerks of art." The ladies covered their bodies in paint and then rolled all over a giant canvas. It was strange. After that, the ladies thought they were going to be paired with biologically female brides for the main challenge, only for it to be revealed that they'd actually be giving the menfolk a drag makeover. Turns out, some of these queens could give Vera Wang a run for her money. Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka joined the panel to judge the final six.

Nphdragrace

Here are this week's rankings:

1. Tonight was a clean sweep for Bianca Del Rio. First, she took the nonsensical mini-challenge (possibly the most meaningless challenge in recent memory), and then her bride was the heads and veils above the rest. The resemblance was strong, the dress was well-executed and Bianca still snuck some of her trademark barbs into the runway. ("Don't call me mommy in public.") She lucked out being paired with such a cooperative (and pretty) groom, but Bianca's clearly a pro, and I think she might be unstoppable.

2. After a short slump, BenDeLaCreme is back on track and on the path to the finals. The mother-of-the-bride look was on-point without being too matronly. (I also loved the unique walk.) She and Bianca are the yin and yang of the competition -- she's "terminally delightful" and Bianca's charmingly caustic. I don't care if the crown goes to the good witch or the bad witch, as long as one of these two is named this season's next drag superstar.

3. Once again, I find Courtney to be just OK. (Her Southern belle bride was more South Carolina than Louisiana, was it not?) When I'm not bored by her, she comes off sort of shrill (not a great thing for a singer). She seems likely to take that third spot, unless Adore's underdog narrative is fully realized and she surges from behind.

4. Speaking of Adore, boy, this was not her week. She can't sew; we know this already. Her bride-daughter was a horrible mess, yes, but it was an expected horrible mess. Still, I just can't help but root for her. And, to be completely honest, I'd much sooner pay to see an Adore Delano show than Darienne or Joslyn.

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 3.20.41 AM

5. In all fairness to Darienne, I think she achieved the greatest transformation with her groom. When you look at the two of them side-by-side (above), it's striking. Darienne's look though? Yawn. NPH called it cocktail, but I think it looked a little Wal-Mart. We're at the end of the line now, and I don't think Darienne has the star power to make it beyond next week. It'll take a real catastrophe from one of the top four girls to keep Darienne around.

6. We righted last week's wrong and sent Joslyn Fox home. She had a rough go this week with a very uncomfortable groom. Poor guy couldn't even get through the runway without puking. (And no one even mentioned meaty tucks!) Though her look was slightly better than Adore's, her lip sync definitely was not. It was beyond time for this Fox to head home. Oh, Joslyn, you sweet, sweet idiot, you were somehow better and worse than everyone thought.

How would you rank the queens this week?

Comments

1. Bianca, BenDelaCrem, and Courtney....joslyn needed to go...shame she was stuck with a guy who was so insecure in his masculinety that he threw up? Adore - she's amateurish & whiney, Darien - its only a matter of time to say Sashay-away......

Posted by: disgusted merican | Apr 22, 2014 8:40:32 AM

2. "as long as one of these two are named this season's next drag superstar."

That should be "as long as one of these two IS named."

One IS named.
    Two or more ARE named.

Posted by: GrammarQueen | Apr 22, 2014 8:49:09 AM

3. Good catch, Grammarqueen. Thanks!

Posted by: Bobby | Apr 22, 2014 8:57:35 AM

4. I love this show more than just about anything else on TV, but this season has been a little disappointing if just because it has seemed too obvious how things would shake out from the beginning. Since the second or third episode, it seemed safe to bet that Bianca would win, DeLa would runner-up, and everyone else was just cannon fodder. Adore has been the season's wonderful surprise, but she's for sure not winning. Courtney has never broken out of bland (though polished). And everyone else? Meh. Meh, I say. Still. Bianca's comment about Joslyn's bride looking like the lady gremlin alone made my night.

Posted by: Jim | Apr 22, 2014 10:01:49 AM

5. You have to ask yourself: which queen would you most want to see in a live performance and for me that would be Bianca. Still, Joslyn grew on me and I will miss her. Get rid of the Shady Elephant!

Posted by: jack | Apr 22, 2014 10:17:50 AM

6. Once again, exactly!

Posted by: Thom | Apr 22, 2014 10:21:41 AM

7. Sad to see Joslyn go, but it was about time.
    Bianca won this competition weeks ago.
    BendelaCreme is my favorite but will make a great runner-up :)

Posted by: Lucas H | Apr 22, 2014 12:12:36 PM

8. I hope they keep Adore on till at least near the end, she is HILARIOUS. I laugh uproariously at almost everything she says.
    But obviously, she is a mess.

Bianca is peaking at the right time. I had thought Bedela had it wrapped up after week two. Doesn't look like it now.

Courtney is in love with herself enough so that the rest of us need not bother.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 22, 2014 12:54:45 PM

9. I think Adore may just lip-sync her way to a spot in the final three. As much as she is a mess at times and deservedly ends up in the bottom two, when it's time to perform she turns it out.

Posted by: e.c. | Apr 22, 2014 1:07:46 PM

10. The sneak peak for next week is HILARIOUS with the puppet show and DeLa and his Bianca puppet is absolutely one of the best things I've seen in 6 seasons. The main challenge is teased as having to CREATE three looks, which of course elicits whining from Adore. Did that twink catch any of the 5 previous seasons?

Posted by: MIke | Apr 22, 2014 2:52:00 PM

11. The sneak peak for next week is HILARIOUS with the puppet show and DeLa and his Bianca puppet is absolutely one of the best things I've seen in 6 seasons. The main challenge is teased as having to CREATE three looks, which of course elicits whining from Adore. Did that twink catch any of the 5 previous seasons?

Posted by: MIke | Apr 22, 2014 2:52:05 PM

12. The sneak peak for next week is HILARIOUS with the puppet show and DeLa and his Bianca puppet is absolutely one of the best things I've seen in 6 seasons. The main challenge is teased as having to CREATE three looks, which of course elicits whining from Adore. Did that twink catch any of the 5 previous seasons?

Posted by: MIke | Apr 22, 2014 2:52:06 PM

13. The sneak peak for next week is HILARIOUS with the puppet show and DeLa and his Bianca puppet is absolutely one of the best things I've seen in 6 seasons. The main challenge is teased as having to CREATE three looks, which of course elicits whining from Adore. Did that twink catch any of the 5 previous seasons?

Posted by: MIke | Apr 22, 2014 2:52:38 PM

14. I really don't understand the love for Delano. she's pretty much nothing but a bratty twink with vocal fry that belongs at McDonalds. The fact that she's whining about not being able to sew THIS far in is clearly proof that her presence at this point is a production one to have attitude over talent.

Still, I'm not sad over seeing Joslyn go. Her stupidity made my head hurt.

Posted by: twostepcub (@twostepcub) | Apr 22, 2014 3:06:26 PM

15. They're keeping Adore until the inevitable Australian Idol versus American Idol lip synch for your life. Ru is crafty like that, and there's just been no need for Courtney in the bottom yet.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 22, 2014 3:57:10 PM

16. I like Adore. Can't help it. Bianca seems like the clear winner but I prefer Ben de la.

Posted by: LJC | Apr 22, 2014 6:58:02 PM

17. I would have loved to see Trinity do this make over

Posted by: Billy | Apr 22, 2014 9:07:40 PM

18. After uncomfortable deliberation, I have decided my favourite queens this season are RuPaul and Panti Bliss! I know, they're not contestants, but they've done so much good that they can share the crown in my opinion.

Who knew Neil Patrick Harris' fiance David Burtka was so handsome?! What a dreamboat! He reminds me of 1950s advertisements.

One thing I'm wondering about, is why would a heterosexual male like the one Joslyn got agree to be part of RPDR? Part of me felt badly for him when he got so flustered after reminding himself about his peers questioning his sexuality that he threw up, and part of me thought wtf why are you even here? I hope he made a few breakthroughs with the people in his life, and opened some minds.

Every week Bianca grows on me more and more. When the season started I couldn't stand the idea of an "insult comic" being on the show, but she has endeared herself to our hearts! She's so smart, sharp, compassionate, and has got C.U.N.T.

Ben De La Creme is sweet. I'm glad she's opening up and dropping a bit of the persona. The dress she made for her bride stands out in my mind the most.

I think one of the reasons Courtney comes accross as boring is because she's kind of a drag-bot. She doesn't seem to have highs or lows. Things don't seem to phase her; Joslyn putting her second in the comedy challenge, or comments from others. The time she asked for input from Ru seemed robot-calculative; and the advice given? Act more human! I think she's sort of a drag version of a T-800, but not a T-1000.

I still am partly hoping for the Mermaid to take the crown, but that seems so unlikely at this point. I want her to at least make it to the top three, because I think it would go a long way in letting her know that she's not a 'filler b****'. Her lipsynch-for-your-life was awesome again (I love her unrehearsed raw talent), but as was pointed out on another blog, one loses wow after each lipsynch. If she were in the bottom two again, I don't know if she could continue to wow Ru enough to stay. I would like to see Darienne and Courtney lipsynch next week.

I'm ready for Darienne to go home next. I have had it with her, officially...

[[["FOOOOOR YOOOOOUR LIIIIIIIFE"]]] - Still love the effect they're doing on Ru's voice for that.

Posted by: Shine | Apr 22, 2014 9:43:13 PM

19. RuPaul made sent the wrong queen home! Joslyn definitely deserved to go last week her daughters look was way better then Adore's daughter(metallic sheen and all)Adore's daughter looked like she was going to a trailer park wedding just so trashy. I also thought Joslyn had a good lip-sync, Adore was just flailing around. She got NPH and DB to raise their hands up with her, she had the crowd. Joslyn was a mess but she didnt' deserve to go home this week.

Posted by: BrianL | Apr 23, 2014 1:20:31 AM

20. @shine. i never heard of Panti Bliss, but after i read your post i went to youtube and watched the video labeled: "Panti's Noble Call at the Abbey Theatre"

thanks for turning me on to that. good stuff. peace.

Posted by: scottr | Apr 23, 2014 8:04:16 PM