Gay Wedding | News | Soap Operas

Watch Will and Sonny Marry on 'Days of Our Lives' in Daytime TV's First Gay Male Wedding: VIDEO

Will_sonny

Will Horton and Sonny Kiriakis tied the knot yesterday on Days of Our Lives in daytime TV's first gay wedding between two men (the first for two women was in 2009 on All My Children, when Tamara and Eden married).

The wedding took place over a three-day arc, but an industrious YouTuber has clipped together the couple's entire wedding day.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Note: The actual ceremony begins at around 22:00.

2_willsonny

Comments

1. I'm neither a soap fan nor a crier, but seeing what I thought would never be possible still makes me ball like a baby. I just celebrated my second wedding anniversary with my beautiful Husband, Michael.... I love saying "my husband"!!

Posted by: Dan McLellan | Apr 5, 2014 10:34:08 AM

2. This is a huge step to right direction in US, because women look soap operas and I put lots of confidence in gay issues to mothers.

Posted by: Matt27 | Apr 5, 2014 10:40:26 AM

3. The one thing about the Will and Sonny storyline that the gay press keeps missing revolves around Melissa Reeves, one of the darlings of the Days cast who practically grew up on the show. Her character is Will's aunt by blood and Sonny's aunt by marriage. For the almost two years of Will and Sonny's relationship, she has not had a single line of dialogue with either of them. Jennifer attended the wedding and managed not to share a single frame of video with the happy couple or either of them alone. Oh did I mention that Reeves made a point of being photographed eating a Chic-Fil-A sandwich during that whole contretemps. So it seems clear why Jennifer Horton has not shared a single scene with either one of her gay nephews in almost two years. Why the gay press hasn't taken notice of this is beyond me.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 5, 2014 10:51:34 AM

4. Well, if you really dont like gays, you shouldnt be working on a soap in the first place.

Posted by: Ramdy | Apr 5, 2014 11:13:32 AM

5. Wow, interesting Jay. I admit I (a 45 year old man) took the day off so I wouldn't miss the wedding episode. I love Will and Sonny's storyline and have followed gay story lines on probably a dozen soaps. Especially Christian and Oliver and Roman and Denis (German soaps). Total guilty pleasure. I thought this wedding was done really well and did you notice the photos of the gay rally and the famous wedding photo of I believe Phyllis Siegel and Connie Kopelov on the tables and mantle?

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Apr 5, 2014 11:24:44 AM

6. Hi Wayne. I am just a wee bit older than you and I just started watching Days after the 2012 Olympics (I was going through soap withdrawal after All My Children and One Life to Live got cancelled the year before and knew that Days was essentially rebooting after the Olympic break, so I figured it would be a good time to start watching.) It also happened to be the jumping off point for WilSon, so I have been enjoying them ever since. Jennifer's absence from her nephews' lives has been glaring.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 5, 2014 11:32:16 AM

7. I was at the gym (a very straight gym) when I saw it on the screens & nobody cared. I came back the next day & saw that General Hospital has a gay love triangle. Apparently, Days' ratings are up because of it. Both shows are doing it to get a younger audience so they can charge more for ads. I'm middle-aged, so I find all this amazing. Time sure has changed.

Posted by: Scar2 | Apr 5, 2014 11:49:13 AM

8. I love to read comments. You can laugh your ass off. Agree it was a wonderful wedding, but ball like a baby? Will and Sonny likely balled like men afterwards.

Posted by: John | Apr 5, 2014 12:13:39 PM

9. I love to read comments. You can laugh your ass off. Agree it was a wonderful wedding, but ball like a baby? Will and Sonny likely balled like men afterwards.

Posted by: John | Apr 5, 2014 12:13:40 PM

10. Huge in the acceptance factor but as the show goes, lost its impact when they recast Will and the passion the original characters had together.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 5, 2014 12:31:01 PM

11. I disagree about the recast. I think that the new Will, Guy Wilson, seems way more comfortable in Will's gay skin than Chandler Massey did and that he has great chemistry with Freddie Smith. Their kisses seem more real than Freddie's and Chandler's kisses. And the looks of love that Guy's Will gives to Sonny seem more believable.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 5, 2014 12:34:50 PM

12. Guy Wilson also ins't afriad to kiss Freddie and has completely edible nipples. (...sheepishly hitting ENTER)

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Apr 5, 2014 12:38:23 PM

13. Sorry about the typos... got a little worked up there...

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Apr 5, 2014 12:39:35 PM

14. And cue the apoplexy at NOM and in all 54 of the million moms.

Tee hee hee - that was good.

Posted by: Richard | Apr 5, 2014 1:49:09 PM

15. Bawl like a baby.

Posted by: D | Apr 5, 2014 1:56:50 PM

16. Just an aside -- while this is (likely as reported) DAYTIME TVs first gay male wedding, it is not the first gay TV wedding. I believe that honor goes to Scotty and Matthew on Brothers & Sisters, IIRC.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Apr 5, 2014 2:37:00 PM

17. I don't watch Days, but that was awesome and I cried through the whole wedding especially when Carole??, I think, told her story. Some great writing in those scenes.

Posted by: Jagger Cates | Apr 5, 2014 3:08:47 PM

18. I love Pachelbel's Cannon.

Posted by: TheSeer | Apr 5, 2014 3:23:00 PM

19. OMG! Did they use Pachelbel's Canon? As a professional musician I am so OVER that piece and if I get asked to play it one more time there's a chance it could turn from a wedding into a funeral. Now -- if it was featured on 'Days' there's the likelihood of a whole new bunch of brides asking for it. ARG-G-G-H!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Apr 5, 2014 4:40:08 PM

20. I miss Chandler Massey. Enough said.

Posted by: David | Apr 5, 2014 7:29:05 PM

21. Representations of us matter. At a personal level, this is the first full representation of a gay wedding I happen to have observed in significant detail. A little like how the two guys in jeans holding hands on a QX magazine once upon a time struck an image in my head of what a gay relationship might be like.

And darnit, I cried a bit, ha..

And, yeah, I don't know that I would have chosen Canon for a wedding, as much as I like the song.

Also, so what was the secret they wouldn't tell?! I'm not a regular to the show, but I kind of want to know...

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Apr 5, 2014 9:17:51 PM

22. The wedding was a joke. Guy Wilson was horribly miscast. Whoever said he has better chemistry with Freddie Smith and their kisses seem more real is blind. Chandler Massey and Freddie Smith had chemistry that jumped off the screen. As for acting ability, Chandler could be unconscious in a hospital bed (which actually happened) and give a better performance than Guy.

Chandler was not afraid to kiss Freddie in the slightest and there are many scenes to prove it. I don't think he gave his best performances toward the end of his tenure on the show but even they were better than Guy. Chandler also had chemistry with many other characters on the show, particularly his grandmother, Marlena. Guy's scenes were her, with anyone for matter, are stiff and forced. He is painful to watch. And so was the wedding.

Posted by: Donny | Apr 5, 2014 9:51:50 PM

23. I thought it was great and the show as done a great job with everyone's various journeys alongside these characters. In real life, I would think they were too young to marry, but as this is great for representation, I won't quibble. Guy Wilson has not had an easy time in his transition, but he has handled it like a pro. He is a great Will and I am glad they found him. However, looking forward to seeing what he can do with a sforyoine that isn't a continuation from his predecessor's, as that is usually when a recast gets to distinguish himself from prior portrayers. But I am happy he's here and enjoy what he is bringing to Will.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Apr 6, 2014 1:08:02 AM

24. @Alex Parrish: Brothers and Sisters definitely didn't have "TV's first gay wedding" in 2008, either. You have to add the extra qualifiers "between two lead characters on a broadcast network" to make the sentence accurate.

A little-known Fox show had a character's visiting gay uncle get married on an episode in 1991, and in 1995, I remember watching Martin Mull and Fred Willard's characters marry on Rosanne at almost the same time that Susan and Carol got married on Friends. (None of these were "lead characters" even though the episodes centered on their weddings).
    Queer as Folk married off two different pairs of its gay leads on cable (not network) TV. Even daytime TV had a gay couple get married on All My Children, beating Will and Sonny by 5 years.

It's great that we have finally arrived at the point where any gay couple's wedding has to have all these qualifiers to be a "first" any more. Will and Sonny are, I guess, the first gay wedding "between two regularly-appearing male characters on network daytime TV."

I thought this episode was done really well.

Posted by: GregV | Apr 6, 2014 1:44:03 AM

25. I have been watching DOOL since 1968 and I have lived through some pretty ridiculous story lines. Will and Sonny's storyline is handled with grace and maturity. The writers got it right. My partner and I cried during their wedding not so much for what could be but for what is in many parts of our country now. Soon, it will be possible for us to marry no matter where we live.

Posted by: Al | Apr 6, 2014 10:57:42 AM