News | Zac Efron

Zac Efron Discusses Career, Addiction, Shirtless Escapades with Seth Rogen: VIDEO

Efron_rogen

Actor Zac Efron gets a big profile in today's Hollywood Reporter in advance of the opening of his new movie Neighbors, in which he plays a frat boy at war with the folks who move in next door.

Z_efronHe is trying to shed an unwanted skin, cleanse himself mentally and physically, purge a past that has come to haunt him. A self-described insomniac, he acknowledges wrestling with anxiety ("100 percent") and being plagued by "thoughts, just thoughts, just overthinking things."

Currently single, he speaks of "the struggles of dating, of falling in love, of searching for love and being there for your friends when they need you. There's no question that to receive anything great, like love or respect, or to better yourself, you have to give a piece of yourself away."

...He has joined Alcoholics Anonymous and also has been seeing a therapist. "I just started going," he says. "And I think it's changed my life. I'm much more comfortable in my own skin. Things are so much easier now."

Still, he admits of his battle with addiction, "It's a never-ending struggle."

Efron's Neighbors co-star Seth Rogen has enthused about Efron recently in the physical sense, descriving his abs as "like a Plinko game" and calling him "the sexiest motherf--ker alive."

But Efron reveals, in a video accompanying the profile, that as a shirtless team doing a stunt for the movie, the two of them failed to lure any customers into an L.A. Abercrombie & Fitch store when they pretended to be greeters.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "thoughts, just thoughts, just overthinking things." sounds like racing thoughts = bipolar or cyclothymia

Posted by: Moz's | Apr 30, 2014 2:33:28 PM

2. Zak looks hot when shirtless. Other than that, boring.

Posted by: Matt27 | Apr 30, 2014 2:57:32 PM

3. Sounds like he's addicted to anything he can get at Skid Row and then blame it on "out of gas"
    OH...and can they PHOTOSHOP the color of his eyes anymore?

Posted by: spike | Apr 30, 2014 2:58:38 PM

4. He comes off as a typical dumb pretty boy. Completely talentless and coasting on his good looks. He obviously doesn't care to be taken serious.

Posted by: Perry | Apr 30, 2014 2:59:44 PM

5. You know, it's called Alcoholics ANONYMOUS for a reason.
    I really wish celebrities would stop breaking their anonymity.

Posted by: John | Apr 30, 2014 3:03:10 PM

6. I much prefer Seth Rogen. Efron's petite nosejob is so feminine.

Posted by: Håkon | Apr 30, 2014 3:29:06 PM

7. This guy is talking about his struggles with substance abuse, and you attack him for his appearance. Stay classy, Towleroad commenters.

Posted by: Mikey | Apr 30, 2014 3:31:49 PM

8. If Seth Rogen is 5'8" than Zaffron is teeny. Super cute with a hot bod, but teeny. Dang.

Posted by: S. | Apr 30, 2014 4:09:22 PM

9. If he's bipolar and gay stand back-- he's mine. I could suck on his ups and love during lows. Being cute was a plus for me too. Wonder if he'll come out?

Posted by: Arrow | Apr 30, 2014 4:24:41 PM

10. "This guy is talking about his struggles with substance abuse, and you attack him for his appearance. Stay classy, Towleroad commenters."

Sorry Fan Boy...I was attacking photo shopping, and making FUN of his addiction. I still can't believe they let the "I ran out of gas at skid row" story disappear.

Posted by: spike | Apr 30, 2014 4:39:15 PM

11. Your lack of empathy is your issue to deal with, Spike. Hope it works out.

Posted by: Mikey | Apr 30, 2014 5:20:58 PM

12. ha ha, thanks!

Posted by: spike | Apr 30, 2014 6:14:12 PM

13. The pretty boys suffer the most.

Posted by: GB | Apr 30, 2014 6:49:44 PM

14. Lord he's pretty

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Apr 30, 2014 7:14:30 PM

15. I still can't believe they let THAT play the green hornet.

Posted by: Tristram | Apr 30, 2014 9:20:31 PM

16. "Ran out of gas on Skid Row", sounds like they called in Olivia Pope...

Posted by: jcloud | Apr 30, 2014 9:41:08 PM

17. I read the full article and was impressed by the achievement. It should be used in textbooks as an almost ideal realization of the "manager and PR hack written" image piece. Every answer comes across as honest about the problems, serious about addressing them and committed to personal growth and getting back to the work that he loves.

This is the sort of finely polished promotional product you should expect when a studio is seriously behind the marketing of your next film. Except for vague admissions about some drug use, it bears the shiny, happy retro quality of a classic 1950's movie mag puff piece. I just hope that Zac can appreciate the huge mercenary love such an effort represents.

I wonder if they even bothered to make Zac show up to the "interview"?

Posted by: BusterLA | Apr 30, 2014 11:19:50 PM

18. If you've nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. So, moving on, Seth Rogen is sooooo Dreamy!!! Sigh....

Posted by: DC | May 1, 2014 1:31:54 AM

19. DC, I agree: I'd take Seth Rogen over Sac, ANY day! Wow.... We need more shirtless pics of Seth Rogen, whenever they're available. Zac is FAR too skinny for my tastes!!!

Posted by: Rod Roddy lookalike | May 1, 2014 7:30:27 AM

20. That's Zac, not Sac.

Posted by: Rod Roddy lookalike | May 1, 2014 7:31:51 AM

21. He said everything, but what we really wanted him to. Maybe he's really David Cassidy and not Montgomery Clift.

Posted by: Arrow | May 1, 2014 12:48:13 PM