Drag Queens | North Carolina | Steve Wiles

Anti-Gay GOP North Carolina Senate Candidate is Former Drag Queen, But is Totally Not Gay

Steve Wiles, A GOP candidate for the state senate in North Carolina who is opposed to same-sex marriage, is a former drag queen who went by the name Mona Sinclair, and he's totally not gay.

The Winston-Salem Journal reports: Wiles

“I have already apologized to the people who matter most to me for the things I did when I was young,” Wiles said this week, declining to clarify for what he has apologized. The comment was made in the last of three separate interviews. At first, Wiles denied the claim.

“That’s not me,” Wiles said three weeks ago, referring to Mona Sinclair. Wiles responded “no” when asked whether he was gay. This week, Wiles’ campaign website, Facebook page and Twitter handle were taken down.

For about 14 years until 2010, Club Odyssey on Country Club Road was a nightclub where gay, lesbian and straight clientele could spend some money on drinks, relax with friends and, weekly, watch a show with talented female impersonators.

Wiles was a frequent patron in the late 1990s, Duggins said. Around 2001 and 2002, Wiles worked for Duggins as the show director, booking performers and running the show as Mona Sinclair, the emcee. At the time, Tomlinson also knew Wiles.

More:

An online search for “Steven Wiles” and “Belews Creek,” the place he lists as his town of residence in campaign filings, turns up a link to the Miss Gay America website. Within the website, a webpage with Wiles’ name has been taken offline but the cached version was still accessible this week. The webpage lists a Steven Wiles as Mona Sinclair. It says he lives in Belews Creek and that he was a promoter of Miss Gay Eastern States America and a promoter for Miss Gay North Carolina America.

Wiles explains himself in an interview with Business Insider:

"I think that everyone has their own choices to make and I'm fine with everyone making their own. For me, from a religious standpoint, just for my life, for me, it just was not something that I wanted to continue," Wiles said of his drag performances. "Of course it was an embarrassment, but you know, you move on. You live life, and you change, and you make yourself what you want yourself to be. And that's where I am now."

Wiles declined to answer when Business Insider asked whether he considers himself an "ex-gay."

"No, no, I really wont make any comments on that," he said.

Wiles posted this on Facebook early Sunday:

Comments

1. Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Posted by: Joel | May 4, 2014 8:52:29 PM

2. Um Steve, I hate to break it to you, but States are in control of Marriage and States need to STAY in charge of marriage. Is the far right now going to start moving toward anyone who isn't Christian can't get married and all marriages must be performed by clergy and in a Church? I long ago came to the conclusion that these people are nuts, but they're getting scarier by the minute.

Posted by: Sooze | May 4, 2014 8:53:11 PM

3. Mona Sinclair. Need I say more?

Posted by: Elliott | May 4, 2014 9:20:54 PM

4. May have started as a religious institution, but the government stepped in and created LEGAL protections and benefits for married couples. Now, by denying LEGAL rights and protections from some and only allowing a select group to participate, you are discriminating against human beings.

Posted by: ToThePoint | May 4, 2014 9:22:40 PM

5. @ ToThePoint

"May have started as a religious institution..."

But it didn't. The modern institution of marriage has roots in Roman marriage -- which was civil -- and in English Common Law -- which itself has roots predating Christianity.

The early Church didn't even much care for marriage and it took them 1000 years to co-opt it and make it a sacrament.

Posted by: BobN | May 4, 2014 9:35:07 PM

6. hey, queen... it's already now established law so you can stop trying to pacify your conservative religious following.

Let's see, that just makes you a washed up drag queen, who doesn't even understand your own politics.

D-bag.

Posted by: pete n sfo | May 4, 2014 9:54:00 PM

7. He has an excuse as a Republican: "I was a business arrangement."

Here's an example from an old movie:

Not that it should matter.

Posted by: Bill | May 4, 2014 10:07:21 PM

8. Religion poisons everything. If it were not for religion, this man could be living a happy gay life and indulging his inner diva. Instead, he is just a sad political candidate trying to gain acceptance from those who have forced him into a life of self-denial. Life without mythology is so much better. Thank god I'm an atheist.

Posted by: Chadd | May 4, 2014 10:39:18 PM

9. In other words, that execrable psychosis called christianity has caused another bit of psychotic chaos in someone's life. What poison that christian religion is!

Posted by: jamal49 | May 4, 2014 10:41:47 PM

10. What I'm wondering about is how could a LGBTTTQQIIA person go from living more comfortably, more authentically, to being more repressed (especially in adulthood)?

If you can escape the shackles of religious shame, what possesses a person to put them back on, seemingly voluntarily?

This person is so sad.

Moreover, what possesses them to get into politics after getting on the shame train? If I were in a place in life where I wasn't willing to admit to a draggy, queer past, and unwilling to self identify as ex-gay while posturing as such, I wouldn't be pushing myself into the public eye or trying to create changes outside myself.

I wouldn't become another talking head, saying things like "marriage is a religious institution, and gays getting married by civil servants and being acknowledged by the government and some of society infringes on the rights of the religious how see them as dirty sinners who deserve to be stoned to death."

Posted by: Filter | May 4, 2014 10:44:12 PM

11. Some of the best drag queens out there are straight guys.

Posted by: petey | May 4, 2014 11:47:00 PM

12. @PETEY it's normal for straight guys to worship the object of their desire, what is not normal is when trans activists try to force effeminacy on gay men!

Posted by: litper | May 5, 2014 12:04:41 AM

13. That's true, Petey. But this queen clearly...well, lets just say, Dorothy knows Steve Wiles pretty well.

Posted by: Francis | May 5, 2014 12:04:50 AM

14. I'm a firm believer that the term 'when the chickens come home to roost' was coined for Republicans who decide to run for a seat in the Senate.

Posted by: Lery Laflamme | May 5, 2014 1:19:08 AM

15. The webpage also says that Wiles was suspended for “conduct unbecoming to a promoter of the Miss Gay America pageant system,” according to the webpage, without providing more information.

I really hope Miss Gay America is forthcoming with the shady sh*t this guy pulled.

Posted by: JMC | May 5, 2014 1:37:01 AM

16. "...equality doesn't mean infringing on someone else's rights."

UGH. This stupidity again.

How does the marriage between two people of the same gender infringe on someone's else's right to marry? Last time I checked, other countries have legalized gay marriage, and I haven't seen any heterosexual married couples being forced to divorce and marry someone of the same gender under threat of death, no matter how much the evangelicals and right-wingers like to imagine it to be so.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | May 5, 2014 2:03:44 AM

17. I recall chatting with Mona a few evenings at Odyssey a decade ago. A being on the edge really, of a drug addiction as I vaguely recollect but a deeper philosophical disquiet. Heard reports in latter years she'd shifted to male garb, a veritable Myra Breckinridge of sexual changes. Perhaps in national politics is the endless psychic mutability he/she seeks.

Posted by: Jonathan | May 5, 2014 2:24:17 AM

18. yeh totally.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | May 5, 2014 5:56:16 AM

19. Not the brightest crayon in the box, is she?

Posted by: Jason MacBride | May 5, 2014 6:17:05 AM

20. There's no rule that says a straight guy can't put on a wig and make-up.

Posted by: petey | May 5, 2014 6:28:51 AM

21. Good luck, Mary.

Posted by: kirby | May 5, 2014 6:33:57 AM

22. @ Petey - I agree that there are straight drag queens, but I can't buy that some of the best ones are straight.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 5, 2014 6:52:42 AM

23. lol

Posted by: mcgill | May 5, 2014 7:08:38 AM

24. Steve Wiles is no Dame Edna.

Posted by: Chadd | May 5, 2014 7:10:03 AM

25. How nice that he once again proves you can talk out of your ass and your mouth at the same time.......

Posted by: aj | May 5, 2014 7:19:51 AM