Bryan Singer | Gary Goddard | News

'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Hit With New Sex Assault Lawsuit

X-Men Director Bryan Singer and Broadway producer Gary Goddard are being hit with a new lawsuit alleging sexual abuse of an underage teen, the Daily Beast reports:

Goddard_singerThe new lawsuit filed by Egan’s attorney, Jeff Herman, alleges that Singer and Broadway producer Gary Goddard sexually assaulted a British teenager. He is known in the lawsuit as “John Doe No. 117,” fearing “further psychological injury” if his name is disclosed.

...According to the lawsuit, which Herman intends to officially announce Monday at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles at 2 p.m., Goddard first contacted the teenager via social media when he was 14. The producer allegedly told the young man he was good-looking, and that he knew people in London and Hollywood who could help him get work in his acting career. One of those people, Goddard allegedly added, was Singer.

The Beast article goes on to detail the allegations brought forth in the suit which include various situations in the U.S. and in London where the teen was forced to perform sexual acts and threatened if he did not do so.

The Beast continues:

The teenager, the suit contends, “only recently became cognizant that he has suffered psychological and emotional injuries, mental anguish and loss of enjoyment of life as a result of the Defendants’ sexual acts. Such injuries are severe, continuing, and permanent.”

The suit contends that Singer violated the law by sexually assaulting the teenager, traveling to a foreign country for “illicit conduct with a minor,” that he had arranged to “meet with a minor to engage in lewd and lascivious behavior,” and that by allegedly coercing the teenager in the way he did, Singer committed an act of “gender violence” against him.

Comments

1. The FORMER teenager "only recently became cognizant that he has suffered psychological and emotional injuries, mental anguish and loss of enjoyment of life as a result of the Defendants’ sexual acts"

OH PRUNELLA! Here come the "Psychics"!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 5, 2014 8:46:43 AM

2. this is some right-winger attack

Posted by: litper | May 5, 2014 9:06:44 AM

3. "only recently became cognizant that he has suffered psychological and emotional injuries, mental anguish and loss of enjoyment of life as a result of the Defendants’ sexual acts"
    I don't believe a word of it. Sadly though, these allegations can land someone in prison for a long time, true or not. You don't have to have any real evidence. All you need is for a jury to believe the allegations and your done.

Posted by: Ted | May 5, 2014 9:24:28 AM

4. I believe the accusers.

Bryan Singer; Dustin Lance Black; Gus Van Sant; Joel Schumacher are all notorious for being exploitative predators when it comes to teenagers.

Posted by: MaryM | May 5, 2014 9:29:07 AM

5. I believe the accusers, and I also believe a few more people will come out of the woodwork now with real stories to tell that are not just doing this for money, having only come forward now because they didn't believe their case would gain any traction originally.

The amount of people victim-shaming and defending this narcissistic hebephile Singer makes me nauseous - he deserves everything coming to him.

Posted by: Leo | May 5, 2014 9:35:16 AM

6. @Marym....".... are all notorious for being exploitative predators when it comes to teenagers. " Do you have some sort of evidence to support that statement or are you just another bark in the kennel???

Posted by: Ted | May 5, 2014 9:37:03 AM

7. *ephebophile

Posted by: Leo | May 5, 2014 9:41:54 AM

8. So sick...someone here please tell me why gay men lust after little boys.

Posted by: June | May 5, 2014 9:49:23 AM

9. Let's see the evidence; show me the proof that we have a Hollywood version of Gerry Sandusky.

Posted by: Rad | May 5, 2014 9:51:14 AM

10. Seriously, June? You're really going to go there what, with such hetero males like Roman Polanski and many, many others? This isn't about gay but instead possibly some really scummy behavior by some men with positions of power and influence who allegedly abused underage young men. Are these allegations true? I have no idea and leave it to all the parties to fight it out in court. The most I can say at the moment is that Singer is a scumbag, even if these particular allegations are false. He preys on young men to get his jollies and then dumps them. If he were straight and doing likewise with young women, something you very well know happens with far far more frequency, I'd still be disgusted with the man. Yet is he a pedophile or ephebophile in violation of the law? That I cannot say because I have no idea from what's been made public thus far.

Posted by: JohnAGJ | May 5, 2014 10:04:32 AM

11. So far, it looks like a money-grubbing lawyer trying to extort vast sums out of fabulously wealthy celebrity by throwing (expletive) at the wall and hoping something will stick. His last effort failed: I have a feeling that this one will, too.

I find it interesting that, while the alleged actions occurred in the UK, the lawsuit was filed in the US. Probably not coincidentally, the UK has very strict laws punishing false allegations and trying to use the legal system to harass and extort.

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | May 5, 2014 10:05:09 AM

12. Why hasn't Singer sued for defamation?

Posted by: Kim | May 5, 2014 10:19:27 AM

13. @JohnAGJ..."The most I can say at the moment is that Singer is a scumbag, even if these particular allegations are false. He preys on young men to get his jollies and then dumps them." Your evidence?

Posted by: John | May 5, 2014 10:29:35 AM

14. Ted - considering the FACT that Bryan Singer regularly hosts parties where people over 20 years old are not invited because they are 'too old', and where guests are plied with alcohol and drugs, do you have any evidence to suggest that Singer is not a predatory sleazebag?

I believe the accusers.

Posted by: MaryM | May 5, 2014 10:40:08 AM

15. i read this "the accuser wasn't aware he was exploited until his doctors and lawyers told him".

Posted by: northalabama | May 5, 2014 10:40:19 AM

16. Why hasn't Bryan Singer sued for defamation?

Surely he will be more than willing to answer questions about the parties he regularly throws for teenagers, to clear his name.

Posted by: MaryM | May 5, 2014 10:50:15 AM

17. Uh June, tell me why do straight men lust after little girls like that guy Ariel Castro?

Posted by: SpaceCadet | May 5, 2014 10:50:41 AM

18. Anyone who reads the tabloids knows Singer likes the barely legal twink types. It isn't really a stretch to think there is SOME truth to these allegations. Is there enough evidence for a court to hold him accountable 15 (?) years after the fact? I guess we will see.
    And puh-leaze, June, take your "gay men...little boys" nastiness elsewhere. You know full well that chicken hawking isn't exclusive to the LGBT community.

Posted by: Lucas H | May 5, 2014 10:55:13 AM

19. Gregory in Seattle gets it.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 5, 2014 10:55:41 AM

20. @Kim and @Marym

Apparently you haven't been following this story very closely. Singer and his lawyer have made it quite clear they plan to counter-sue on several fronts.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | May 5, 2014 11:07:22 AM

21. This lawyer is a genius at timing these things. Now the defense has to scramble to defend against a second suit while working on the first. The odds of making a mistake increase enormously. As before, it's time to settle, settle, settle and avoid dragging this out. Interesting that this case is the weaker of the two and it really doesn't need to be that strong given the strategic timing and all.

Posted by: anon | May 5, 2014 11:16:03 AM

22. Good to see that the American system of justice is DOA. Guilty until proven innocent doesn't apply to gay people. Your opinions don't matter, facts do, and so far we have not had a bit of sworn testimony. Burn the witch. By the way one does not have to prove a negative - "do you have any evidence to suggest that Singer is not a predatory sleazebag"

Posted by: terry | May 5, 2014 12:02:40 PM

23. The real crime are Singer's cheek implants.

Posted by: Russ | May 5, 2014 12:05:19 PM

24. Plenty of young men (and women) hobnob with older people to get a taste of the good life and/or advance their careers. There's nothing wrong with that as long as boundaries are respected.

I'm not condoning older men who manipulate, threaten, or (obviously) rape teens. But even with the dramatically skewed balance of financial, emotional, intellectual, legal, and other power in such "relationships," the power runs in both directions (and the kids often lie about their age). It's not always a great idea, but people of any age enter relationships for perceived mutual benefit.

I happened to be one of those boys. I went to college when I was 16 in a major city far from home, I had a fake ID saying I was 21, all my friends were older, and I felt capable of making my own decisions. I was never a whore; the most I got was occasional dinners, drinks, and clothing (nothing risque). I never had sex with any of them. I just wanted to get to know older men who were well placed and knowledgeable about the arts, literature, travel, and life and how to live it.

Obviously older men have a responsibility not to manipulate impressionable, poor, or weak young men, and those that do are despicable. (The same is true for older men and young women.) Even still I'm often disgusted by things that older men say to me when they think I'm far younger than I am. But not everyone is guilty because they like younger men.

This story, if accurate, is awful. But as others have said, it's hard to take this claim seriously when the lawyer calls the guy has suffered "severe, continuing, and permanent" injuries and that Singer committed "gender violence"---whatever the hell that is, though it sounds vaguely homophobic. I recognize that this kid's situation was much different from mine. And at 42 I have as much interest in hanging out with someone half my age as I do talking to a bar of soap. (As an aside, did no one think it odd when the kid flew to the US when he was 14?) But some teenagers are damn good manipulators. I certainly was...

Posted by: Paul R | May 5, 2014 12:07:24 PM

25. All civil cases and not criminal cases.. wonder why? Oh yeah, burden of proof is nearly non-existent in civil cases and they are looking for money and not justice.

Posted by: unruly | May 5, 2014 12:17:15 PM