Film | Miami | News | Nightlife

Documentary On ‘Club King’ Mario Diaz To Premiere At Miami Gay And Lesbian Film Fest: VIDEO

Clubking

A documentary on gay nightlife impresario Mario Diaz, who you may recognize from his appearance in ‘Rambo, But Gay’ or from the neon nightlife he has become such a staple of, will debut at the Miami Gay and Lesbian Film Festival on May 8, according to OUT Magazine. ‘Club King’ focuses on Diaz’s life as a club promoter extraordinaire, permanently surrounded by glitz and go-go-boys. Reflecting on how he came to his line of work, Diaz says,

“When I was in high school and I was young and I knew I was going to end up in New York City one day, I remember thinking, ‘Wow!’ That’s what it’s like to really be gay and be in the gay city. And you know these underground clubs and this freedom of sexuality—it just seemed so exciting and cool and I wanted to be part of it.”

The film also features Mario (perhaps inadvertently) imparting tips and life lessons to the audience—i.e. “Remember, the slower you dance the hotter it is.”

Check out a (beefcake-laden) trailer, AFTER THE JUMP…

For more information on the film, you can visit the doc’s Facebook page HERE.

(Image via Facebook)

Club King - Official Trailer from jon bush on Vimeo.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider SHARING it on social media.

Also, please LIKE us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter, and Instagram.

Comments

1. He nice.

Posted by: Chris | May 1, 2014 11:50:48 PM

2. Gay!

Posted by: Mike | May 1, 2014 11:53:00 PM

3. Is there a whole film there? Cute guy

Posted by: Patrick | May 2, 2014 12:10:56 AM

4. Is it a short?

Posted by: jim | May 2, 2014 2:18:42 AM

5. Chris, Mike, Patrick and Jim have the most interesting comments I have ever seen on Towleroad. I love how they dig deep. They're almost like Oprah.

Posted by: Marc | May 2, 2014 2:27:08 AM

6. Mario Diaz - the stereotype that keeps on stereotyping. I'd much rather have a quiet night in front of my computer.

Posted by: petey | May 2, 2014 3:43:23 AM

7. Who cares?

Posted by: TonyC | May 2, 2014 3:50:14 AM

8. Agreed, Petey, but how about a nice dinner out with friends and then retire to someone's house for cocktails on the deck or a cook out or something that doesn't require going deaf and watching club games all night at the meat market?

Posted by: johnny | May 2, 2014 8:41:58 AM

9. Love guys who help other guys get their freak on. it's a calling. Done right, memories to last a lifetime. Thank you Mario for your public service contributions.

P.S.- Hot men at the top of the video!

Posted by: MP | May 2, 2014 10:54:55 AM

10. Matio is not a stereotype, if he heard that he would probably laugh and say thank you.

He's a super nice,very kind openminded guy. In fact he's so caring that one night while I was in drag blowing some guy (while 4 of my drag sisters cheered me on), Mario was doing someone in my bedroom. He was kind of enough to say : Great time oh and I'd recommend washing the green towel. True Story and I love every second of it!!!

Posted by: Dan | May 2, 2014 11:06:28 AM

11. He's caring because he dirtied one of your towels? That's a low bar.

But anyway, what's the interest in such a generic look? If you're going to be a wild party animal, you might as well be creative about it.

Posted by: pablo | May 2, 2014 11:31:37 AM

12. Completely utterly vacuous and empty-headed. I want to see the results of the blood-tests before get within 30 feet.

Posted by: BrokebackBob | May 2, 2014 11:47:09 AM

13. Wow, a lot a negative nancies on here. You don't like club parties, then don't go. Everyone who isn't like YOU isn't terrible. There's so much in the world to stand up against: climate change, income inequality, anti-gay/anti-trans violence, etc, why are you so mad about some gogo boys?

Posted by: Miss Understood | May 2, 2014 12:06:38 PM

14. I'm with Miss Understood. I've never been to a club party and have no interest in ever going, but why all the hate against those that do?

My husband and I would rather socialize with other couples with quiet dinners at home, but if I were young and single, I could see myself wanting a club party atmosphere complete with go-go boys. To each their own.

Posted by: Howard B | May 2, 2014 12:57:16 PM

15. I got to bed too early these days to go out to a club night, but at the turn of century I was in love with HOT DOG, the night Mario did at the Parlour in WEHO. It had amazing music, unique performers, and all of the people you wanted to be crammed on the dance floor with.

Mario always had a smile on his face, which I mean as a compliment.

Posted by: Mick | May 2, 2014 3:00:32 PM

16. That picture is scary enough to make me straight.

Posted by: jarago | May 2, 2014 5:03:14 PM

17. The whole idea that Mario is a stereotype is ridiculous. He's a totally creative, unique individual and also a very sweet, generous guy.

Posted by: Mr. McGinnis | May 3, 2014 12:06:21 PM

18. I don't think people understand just how much effort it takes to set all of this up and make sure people have a good time. Love himmmmm.

Posted by: Cake | May 3, 2014 4:18:47 PM