Fred Phelps | News | Westboro Baptist Church

Grandson of Anti-Gay WBC Pastor Fred Phelps Says He Had 'Change of Heart' Before He Was Voted Out

Equalityhouse

Equality House, the resource center for all Planting Peace human rights and bully prevention initiatives, sits across the street from the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas to bring attention to the church's hate.

The group posted a note to its Facebook page last night from Zacharias Phelps-Roper, a member of the Phelps family and a former member of WBC, alleging that church founder Fred Phelps had "a change of heart" about his anti-gay hate which was what got him excommunicated from the church.

It's unclear what prompted the message from Zacharias, which reads:

Zacharias_phelps-roperFred W. Phelps, my grandfather, came out in support of the Equality House before he was voted out of WBC.

Specifically, on the day that he was excommunicated, he stood outside of the front door of the church (but not within anyone's earshot but a few members of WBC who happened to be in the immediate vicinity)... I say, he spoke words to this effect to the Equality House: "You are good people."

I feel like he had a change of heart after my grandmother nearly passed away, and he felt the pangs of loss ... he waited for news of her every day and night while she was in intensive care. I think this triggered a chain reaction whereby he developed great empathy for others... which would explain why he would support  Planting Peace's anti-suicide and anti-bullying platforms, and their charities across the world....

I love my grandfather! And I believe people DO change, if they are inspired enough! - Zacharias Phelps-Roper.

Shortly after Phelps death, there were reports that the elder Phelps was excommunicated in a power struggle after calling for kinder treatment of fellow church members.

Comments

1. Too little. Too late.
    Fred Phelps is the gold standard for HATE.

Posted by: Mike | May 23, 2014 8:24:37 AM

2. Sad. But really too little too late. And the monster he created, destroyed him. Poetic justice.

Posted by: kdknyc | May 23, 2014 9:50:44 AM

3. Where is this post? I have trouble actually even determining what the true WBC Facebook page is. And there isn't a link from their site to a Facebook page.

Posted by: Scot Colford | May 23, 2014 9:52:24 AM

4. Scot, it's on the Equality House page, not WBC's.

Posted by: Piet | May 23, 2014 2:20:06 PM

5. Scot, it's on the Equality House page, not WBC's.

Posted by: Piet | May 23, 2014 2:20:15 PM

6. Scot, it's on the Equality House page, not WBC's.

Posted by: Piet | May 23, 2014 2:20:28 PM

7. Yes, I finally figured that out. Sorry, I'm a dolt! I was confused, as you might imagine, why the WBC would post that!

Posted by: Scot Colford | May 23, 2014 3:00:24 PM

8. Yes, I finally figured that out. Sorry, I'm a dolt! I was confused, as you might imagine, why the WBC would post that!

Posted by: Scot Colford | May 23, 2014 3:00:45 PM

9. Yes, I finally figured that out. Sorry, I'm a dolt! I was confused, as you might imagine, why the WBC would post that!

Posted by: Scot Colford | May 23, 2014 3:01:13 PM

10. Yes, I finally figured that out. Sorry, I'm a dolt! I was confused, as you might imagine, as to why the WBC would post that!

Posted by: Scot Colford | May 23, 2014 3:01:31 PM

11. Yes, I finally figured that out. Sorry, I'm a dolt! I was confused, as you might imagine, as to why the WBC would post that!

Posted by: Scot Colford | May 23, 2014 3:01:58 PM

12. Yes, I finally figured that out. Sorry, I'm a dolt! I was confused, as you might imagine, as to why the WBC would post that!

Posted by: Scot Colford | May 23, 2014 3:02:32 PM

13. Yes, I finally figured that out. Sorry, I'm a dolt! I was confused, as you might imagine, as to why the WBC would post that!

Posted by: Scot Colford | May 23, 2014 3:02:44 PM

14. Wow, Scot's comment posted SEVEN times and mine didn't post at all.

Somethings really messed up with Towleroad commenting.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 23, 2014 6:28:24 PM

15. If Phelps had a change of heart (which I seriously doubt) then it would have only been due to his declining health and knowing he had little time left to make things "right" with his maker. If it happened it seems simply an effort to prevent an eternity of damnation - too little, too late. You just gotta love how these religion folks seem to think they can do and say whatever they want as long as they remember to ask for forgiveness.

Posted by: ThomT | May 24, 2014 9:30:56 AM

16. Either that TAMPAZEKE or poor Scot Colford is REALLY beating himself up over an all too human mistake. I think that you are correct and that Towleroad's commenting is just MESSED up as you said.

Posted by: Mike | May 24, 2014 3:20:42 PM