Catholic Church | Discrimination | Education | News

Mark Zmuda, Gay Catholic School Principal Fired for Marrying a Man, Hired by New School

Mark Zmuda, the Eastside Catholic High School vice principal who was told he must divorce his husband or be fired, has found a new job, KING5 reports:

ZmudaThe Mercer Island School District announced that Mark Zmuda will become an associate principal at Mercer Island High School, effective July 1...

...The Mercer Island Superintendent Dr. Gary Plano will recommend that Zmuda is confirmed as associate principal. According to a release from the district, Zmuda was chosen from more than 60 applicants for the position.

"Mark impressed me with his knowledge of best-instructional practices, his integrity and work ethic and his commitment to the success of all students," Dr. Plano said in a release.

Zmuda will also serve as the school's athletic director.

Zmuda's firing inspired major protests from students and faculty at Eastside Catholic and caused Sister Mary Tracy to resign.

Zmuda is now suing the school.

Comments

1. I still think this guy looks like a grown-up version of Zac Efron.

Posted by: anon | May 1, 2014 11:29:32 AM

2. Good for Mr Zmuda. I hope his suit is so successful that God will change sides, or give up, or something.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 1, 2014 11:44:58 AM

3. UFFDA:
    You don't need God on your side to win anything. The loss of the marriage battle by the Churches all over the World is a good proof of that.

Posted by: simon | May 1, 2014 12:06:57 PM

4. Interesting. So much for freedom to do as your beliefs tell you to. They would demand he divorce? So, they recognize the marriage in the first place. Conflicted are they?

Posted by: Michael | May 1, 2014 12:08:45 PM

5. Glad to hear the good news for him.

Posted by: Larry | May 1, 2014 12:12:07 PM

6. That's quite a coup. Mercer Island is an extremely wealthy suburb of Seattle. I'm sure the competition was formidable.

Posted by: Merv | May 1, 2014 12:12:21 PM

7. @ Michael... actually, they wouldn't be conflicted. He made a public act by getting married, they would be asking him to publicly counteract his action. Has no bearing on whether they see the marriage as legit. (my reply in no way weighs in on the merits,ethics or morals of whether gay marriage is recognized by the church)

Posted by: iowan | May 1, 2014 12:21:29 PM

8. I thought the catholics only had a problem with gay sex. So unless they caught him having sex with his husband, what is the big deal? They don't view the marriage as valid according to their god's rules, so it should be as if it doesn't exist.

(And still trying to find out why my IP address is blocked here, and I have to use my VPN to post, I didn't do anything even remotely wrong, especially compared to the trolls that post here all day long.)

Posted by: PDX_Guy | May 1, 2014 12:38:54 PM

9. Good to hear. Cue the Christian whiners who say they are being "bullied."

Posted by: Jack M | May 1, 2014 12:43:18 PM

10. We don't whine, even in bed.

Posted by: Christian ladies | May 1, 2014 1:20:56 PM

11. What I don't get is how his Catholic bosses could have demanded that he get a divorce to keep his job. Catholics don't believe in divorce. He would have to get an annulment from the local bishop or from the pope. But then, the bishop or pope would be acknowledging the legitimacy of the marriage in the first place. So, getting them on record with approving an annulment to a gay marriage would be a success story, yes? Oh, my head just exploded.

Posted by: Larry | May 3, 2014 1:52:56 AM