Football (American) | Las Vegas | Michael Sam | News | NFL | Sports | Vito Cammisano

Michael Sam and Boyfriend Partied in Vegas After Draft

Vegas_sam
(twitter mrsjones_nyc)

St. Louis Ram Michael Sam and his boyfriend partied in Vegas at the Venetian following the NFL draft, the Las Vegas Sun reports:

Boyfriend Vito Cammisano, who swam competitively for the University of Missouri, joined Sam, a defensive end from the college who was drafted by the St. Louis Rams in the seventh round Saturday and was congratulated by President Obama.

A group of 10, including Sam’s agent and friends, were on hand as Sam was surprised with a presentation from Tao and a shout-out from DJ Vice. Sam spotted Richard Sherman of the Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks at a nearby table, and the two athletes chatted for a few minutes.

Sam and Cammisano later headed to the DJ booth, where Vice stopped the music to introduce and congratulate the newly signed pro.

More photos at The Sun...

The NY Daily News has more on Cammisano:

Cammisano, a communications major, came out to fellow swimmers in 2011, Mizzou’s student newspaper reported.

“He’s been a pleasant, pleasant boy all his life,” Cammisano’s aunt, Cathy Nigro, said of her nephew.

“I was very proud of them both,” Nigro said of the kiss. “I think the whole family is.”

Nigro said she’s met Sam, liked him very much and called him “a great athlete.”

Cammisano’s Facebook page says he attended Rockhurst High School in Kansas City, Mo., and worked as an assistant in the University of Missouri’s office of disability services. It says he works as an intern at a large radio station operator.

Comments

1. Big steps, when openly gay sportman is able to celebrate and show his happiness.

Posted by: Matt27 | May 12, 2014 10:27:07 AM

2. that lucky Vito, what is like to be him and just what is HIS thoughts??

Posted by: Troy | May 12, 2014 10:31:38 AM

3. UGH, Why the Venetian?....the only NON-UNION hotel in Las Vegas. UGH.

Posted by: HereinDC | May 12, 2014 10:38:12 AM

4. Is Michael Sam an oreo?

Posted by: Zeta | May 12, 2014 10:58:06 AM

5. Don't let this go to your head now, Sam, and get distracted. Homeboy needs to be at the gym, not out at the night clubs. Don't wanna see him fizzle out. 7th Round ain't the 1st Round. Gotta go work, bruthuh, gotta go work.

Posted by: While I Steal Your Boyfriend | May 12, 2014 11:10:22 AM

6. Zeta, thanks for the racist comment.

It makes me ill to see all the negative comments everywhere written by people who are shocked by the kiss, BTW. I have had to see straight people kissing each other all my life, and I had to keep my mouth shut (no pun intended).

Posted by: Jack M | May 12, 2014 11:11:30 AM

7. I love Oreos, make mine double stuff!

Posted by: Troy | May 12, 2014 11:21:55 AM

8. OMG, I'm in Vegas on vacation and was out on the Strip yesterday although I'm not out partying at those expensive clubs. Still, I hope get my Michael Sam sighting! So happy for him and he's allowed to celebrate his success. It's not like training camp starts the day after the draft so lay off! And interracial couples are hot, racists can go kill themselves.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | May 12, 2014 11:33:55 AM

9. @Zeta...it appears so it doesn't look like he has any black friends

Posted by: Mike | May 12, 2014 11:37:27 AM

10. "Don't let this go to your head now, Sam, and get distracted"

It is pretty obvious that that has already happened. He let himself be used by activists for their purposes--I am sure the kiss was planned rather than spontaneous--and because of that will almost surely fail to make the roster of the Rams or any other team.....

He will have had his ten minutes of fame but in the long run will most likely have wasted his opportunity to effect real change for the sake of making a statement....

And that is a real shame.....

Posted by: Rick | May 12, 2014 11:39:13 AM

11. LOL @ "Zeta, thanks for the racist comment."

Who is Zeta being racist against, Jack M? Michael Sam?

My, the original definition of racism has been replaced by one that apply to everybody on the planet.

Michael has the right to love whomever he wants to--we accept that. And Black Gays have right to say what we feel about his choice.

I remember when Barack Obama decided to run for president and I saw my first photograph of Michele Obama. Well, I knew that Barack was going to get the votes of almost 100% of Black American women. They were happy that this biracial man chose a Black woman. So was I.

You see, you get tired of being made to feel that you are "less than"--especially by own kind.

From what I understand Michael simply fell in love with Vito at the University of Missouri, and that's all right. And we WILL accept that.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 12, 2014 11:44:06 AM

12. I feel like I've landed on an alternative universe. After decades of fighting for our rights, I have to admit at being a little awed by all that has happened the last few years.

"There is nothing so powerful than an idea whose time has come."

Victor Hugo.

Posted by: DC Insider | May 12, 2014 11:45:34 AM

13. I think the draft of the first openly gay man has gone HORRIBLY right down to the "I'm a celebrity!" Vegas appearance and if you don't just sit back the next few months. Agent? Are we talking Dina Lohan?!

Posted by: Mike | May 12, 2014 11:49:58 AM

14. They are SO CUTE together.

Posted by: Russ | May 12, 2014 11:58:31 AM

15. And I'll tell you something else funny on this subject (atleast it's funny to me)

I was talking with some friends last night about Michael Sam. I was overjoyed that he was drafted, but kinda' lamenting that he wasn't in a relationship with another Black man.

Well, one of my friends said to me, "Bytch, what do you care that he's with a White man? Even if he wasn't with a White man he wouldn't want your 56 year old azz anyway."

Sometimes you need your friends to knock your head back into reality.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 12, 2014 12:21:52 PM

16. Rick:
    Young men are like that. It is good to be young. I am also jealous.

Posted by: simon | May 12, 2014 12:27:56 PM

17. Well I just heard with the exception of his aunt, his family wants nothing to do with him.They will not comment on him being drafted after the backlash his father experienced after he came out.

Posted by: Kim | May 12, 2014 12:40:57 PM

18. It's about double stuff Oreos whip cream and touch downs

Posted by: Troy | May 12, 2014 12:53:48 PM

19. "...in the long run will most likely have wasted his opportunity to effect real change for the sake of making a statement."

The change IS occurring precisely because he made a statement--not with the kiss (which is trivial, no matter how much it upsets you personally, we know, we know, the black/white thing), but by being open about his sexuality. Did you see Jeff Fischer's statement? Did you see how the Dolphins disciplined that numbnuts who trash-talked about Sam via social media? Michael Sam has
    already had an effect on the NFL as well as how the public perceives gay athletes.

Also, what are the odds that a 7th-round draft pick "effects change" via onfield performance? Slim to none. Do you know what the odds of a 7th round draftee sticking in the league more than 3 years are? He'll be lucky to make a team (the team will be lucky, too, and will sell a lot of Michael Sam jerseys), and probably won't do more than play on special teams. That's what 7th rounders do. Highly unlikely that he'll be in the NFL 5 years from now.

Again, Michael Sam is having his biggest impact upfront, simply by being open about who he is. Anything he accomplishes on the field will be gravy. You're just too big of a Negative Nellie, Rick, to be able to admit that.

Posted by: Show Him the Money | May 12, 2014 1:06:58 PM

20. Derrick, everyone here knows you're not a day under 65. Embrace your eligibility for Social Security. Some young guys actually think it's hot. (Not me, but I hear they exist.)

Posted by: Fifty-Six? | May 12, 2014 1:09:46 PM

21. Sam's butch boyfriend is obviously the top in their relationship.

Posted by: Nomi | May 12, 2014 1:11:11 PM

22. We can certainly tell who the BOTTOM is in this relationship...

Posted by: Doris Dey | May 12, 2014 1:17:24 PM

23. Is that a cum shot all over the white bf's face in that second pic??? Happy is right!!

Posted by: Turk | May 12, 2014 1:18:49 PM

24. @ "Derrick, everyone here knows you're not a day under 65. Embrace your eligibility for Social Security. Some young guys actually think it's hot. (Not me, but I hear they exist.)"

Posted by: Fifty-Six? | May 12, 2014 1:09:46 PM

Rick, I AM and will always be a better comedian than you on this blog. Don't even try it, Miss Thaing (using yet another posting name).

And you're 56 also now, or atleast 55. Nobody wants your ol' azz either.

DEAL WITH IT!!!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 12, 2014 1:25:56 PM

25. @SHOW HIM THE MONEY He only fell to the last 7 picks in the 7th round because those very coaches and owners you are referering to were apprehensive about having an openly gay player on the team because of the disruption it might cause. (Before he came out, he was generally projected to be either a 4th or 5th round pick--not a 1st rounder, but high enough to be considered viable.)

I could be really cynical and say that I think the only reason the Rams took him at all, even as late as they did, was because the NFL pressured them to do so in order to avoid the ruckus that would have arisen had he not been drafted at all, making it clear that openly gay players were not welcome in the NFL. Ditto for the disciplining of the Dolphins' player by the owner.

In fact, the lesson one could take from this is that coming out--and particularly engaging in over-the-top behavior after you do--will just destroy your budding career in professional sports (which is why all the gay players currently in the NFL remain deep in the closet).

I really don't understand all the euphoria surrounding what has happened. On balance, it is pretty negative--Sam's dramatic drop in the pecking order of the draft and the overwhelmingly negative reaction to "the kiss", anywhere other than gay blogs like this one or among the media elite....

Posted by: Rick | May 12, 2014 1:31:44 PM