Connecticut | Education | News | Prom

'Fabulous' Gay Student Crowned Prom Queen at Connecticut High School: VIDEO

Fleming
Nasir Fleming - Instagram

17-year-old Danbury High School senior Nasir Fleming was crowned Prom Queen last week in front of hundreds of cheering students in a video posted online.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Fleming, who says he was bullied as a child, "wanted to send a message about the absurdity of gender labeling, the toxicity of discrimination and the importance of being yourself" he told the CT Post, and accepted the nomination as queen, and not king. He was nominated for both:

Dattilo said Fleming received, and accepted, the nomination for prom king last year, though he didn't attend the event. She said she wasn't surprised he was nominated for king again this year.

"He's a very likable person," Dattilo said.

His nomination as queen was more of a surprise, and Fleming said he isn't sure about the intent of the students who submitted his name. It might have been a joke about his sexuality, he said, or maybe it was meant positively. Ultimately, he concluded, it doesn't matter.

"Either way, I'm still fabulous," he said.

Said Fleming on his YouTube page:

"Even though I identify as male, winning this title is a statement against transphobia. As gay people, more or less, are becoming accepted in society, transgendered people are still discriminated against severely. If I can win a title that is outside of my gender, there is no reason why a trans-person should have any problems winning titles in his/her gender (Prom Queen, Miss America, etc). Stop the hate, start the love."

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Promking

Comments

1. Oh the Paris Hilton Generation! So clueless!

Posted by: Josh | May 28, 2014 9:28:28 AM

2. Talk about playing into stereotypes that gay men want to be seen as women.

Posted by: Perry | May 28, 2014 9:34:32 AM

3. so wrong on so many levels.

Posted by: Little Twatti | May 28, 2014 10:29:10 AM

4. The same thing happened to Ugly Betty's little brother.

Posted by: Merv | May 28, 2014 10:36:51 AM

5. Wow, a confident teenager is really rattling the insecure bitter queens.

Posted by: Mikey | May 28, 2014 10:39:01 AM

6. Good for him. I'm sure he desevered it.

He does the Gay community proud.

Posted by: 1♥ | May 28, 2014 10:40:56 AM

7. Why isn't he crowned Prom KING? Is he trans? If not, then I don't get the Queen title.

Posted by: Anon | May 28, 2014 10:56:08 AM

8. @ANON If you read the article, even the students don't know why he was *nominated.* It doesn't matter though. And before any bitter queens jump in and say "shouldn't a girl have won" or "I feel bad for any girls who won" be sure that the student body voted for him because they wanted him to win more than any other candidate. A second placer has no say in who the winner is.

Posted by: David | May 28, 2014 10:59:02 AM

9. The trolls are TROLLroad will be all over this story like Joan Rivers to plastic surgery.

Posted by: Gigi | May 28, 2014 11:04:24 AM

10. This is such an insult! Basically, they're saying that Gay men are "queens", so the Prom Queen title should be used rather than Prom King. The young man seems unaware that he's being disrespected (or he's keeping a stiff upper lip and not letting on how he really feels). When I read stories like this, I despair that the Gay Rights movement is regressing instead of progressing.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 28, 2014 11:14:24 AM

11. Read this last weekend on other sites. LATE!

Posted by: MartinR | May 28, 2014 11:41:11 AM

12. @STUFFED ANIMAL He was nominated for KING and QUEEN. By his own prerogative he chose to run for QUEEN. Sorry to rain on your black parade.

Posted by: David | May 28, 2014 11:51:12 AM

13. three snaps in a Z-formation! what a glorious and proud young man. only an insecure wimp with no spine would find this young man's joy to be a source of shame.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 28, 2014 11:56:03 AM

14. "If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be"
    - Maya Angelou

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 28, 2014 12:07:27 PM

15. Courage. That is what Nasir Fleming has.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 28, 2014 12:09:58 PM

16. Was the Prom King cute, too? Did they make a nice couple?

Posted by: Glenn I | May 28, 2014 1:54:00 PM

17. I don't know how I feel about this. I certainly think he is inspiring and congrats to him but on the other hand as a gay man I take offense. King and Queen are gender specific roles. I was born a male, I am proud to be male. If it would have been me I would have chosen to be King (just a footnote this gentlemen had the choice of which role to be). I feel him picking the Queen role sterotypicfises the long standing homophobia against gay men that we all wish to be some type of female. I asked my husband how he felt about it and he felt the same. I am a man not a woman.

Posted by: proudgaymale | May 28, 2014 5:58:25 PM

18. Hey ProudlyGayMale - congrats on not getting it. you're a man, not a woman eh? well *get her*. ;-)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 28, 2014 6:06:54 PM

19. Shutter when the "wimp with no spine" insult is dusted off again. These bullied and redeemed stories are getting tiresome. See how this would play out in "the hood." This poster who "asked his husband??" Get real Mary.

Posted by: Gary | May 28, 2014 6:16:05 PM

20. Yet another "gay men are actually women inside" backslide. We're approaching a century of this mindset and show no sign of progress.

Posted by: Knock | May 28, 2014 9:00:28 PM