Basketball | Michael Sam | Mississippi | News

Ole Miss Basketball Star Boycotting ESPN Over ‘Nasty’ Michael Sam Kiss, Backtracks Following Outrage

Marshall henderson

Former Ole Miss guard Marshall Henderson woke up Monday morning and decided the best way to start his week was by sharing with the world his thoughts on ESPN’s coverage of Michael Sam’s emotional reaction to being drafted into the NFL.

Tweeted Henderson:

Shortly after Henderson’s initial tweet went viral, he sent out a series of additional tweets to elaborate on his homophobia before doing some serious backtracking and claiming it was all just a psychology project for a friend.

Feel free to head over to Henderson's Twitter page to read the hilariously panicked stream of consciousness in full.

CBS Sports adds that although Henderson no longer plays college basketball, Ole Miss athletic director Ross Bjork has already tweeted his disappointment with the school’s former star.

Luckily, Henderson is not expected to be drafted into the NBA this June.

This is also not the first time that Ole Miss has had to deal with homophobia among its students. Towleroad readers may recall last October when 20 Ole Miss football players were involved in a mass heckling incident at a University of Mississippi production of The Laramie Project, with the players calling cast members 'fags.'

Comments

1. Gotta love a guy who doesn't even have the courage of his own convictions.

(Does every bigot have a gay friend?)

Posted by: Bart | May 12, 2014 1:28:27 PM

2. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if we want respect, we have to claim it. Adults are, in many ways, nothing more than robotic children: they'll just keep repeating the garbage their parents taught them until someone calls them on it. They have to be taught that it's a new day.

That's why it's important that we call people on their homophobia. It's like the old saying that the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. The price of respect is constantly standing up for yourself when someone tries to put you down.

Posted by: Mike | May 12, 2014 1:28:39 PM

3. Who names their children 7 and 11?

Posted by: Kev C | May 12, 2014 1:34:13 PM

4. For all of you who are not sports fans (probably 95% of the commenters on this blog), Marshall Henderson became "famous" over the last couple of years in the college basketball world (and beyond) for his outrageous, over-the-top behavior, including blatant taunting of opposing fans. He has had a drug problem for years and fashions himself to be a sort of Eminem of basketball. A definite head case--so I would not necessarily doubt that he tweeted what he did just to create an uproar, not because he really sincerely believes what he typed.

That said, it does reflect what is probably the sentiment of the majority of athletes--which is why Sam should not have done what he did, not because it was inherently "bad" but simply because, when you are trying to gain acceptance into a group, you don't do things that are likely to make that acceptance less likely......

Posted by: Rick | May 12, 2014 1:41:27 PM

5. I don't know who this bball player is, and don't care, but that sure was awkward to read...gheeez, I wonder if he's even embarased for whatever that is foaming out of his mouth.

Posted by: spg | May 12, 2014 1:42:48 PM

6. Screw their 'acceptance'. In 2014, we do what we want.

- a twentysomething gay

Posted by: Sergio | May 12, 2014 1:43:27 PM

7. I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt. He needs to be given some awards and to spend much of the next year attending GL banquets held in his honor.

Posted by: SteveInDE | May 12, 2014 1:46:28 PM

8. Mike and Rick = same pathetic right wing troll

Shoo! Go back to Drudge Report!

Posted by: litper | May 12, 2014 1:48:24 PM

9. @ "...when you are trying to gain acceptance into a group, you don't do things that are likely to make that acceptance less likely......"

Oh, Lord, why did read this? Everybody says to ignore Rick and to not read his comments anymore. But I did....and I did not fill my flask before I came to work this morning. I brought this on myself.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 12, 2014 1:48:40 PM

10. Someone alert 7 and 11 that their Dad is a homophobe AND a liar.

Posted by: jo | May 12, 2014 1:50:08 PM

11. LOL @ "One of my best friends is gay!"

and

of course it was a social experiment.

Idiot.

Posted by: Val | May 12, 2014 1:51:49 PM

12. I thought "March Madness" was over.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | May 12, 2014 1:53:01 PM

13. poor wee bigot.

you gotta love how only this site's insecure closeted cowards are upset with the Michael Sam kiss.

right. how well has being a timid little wimp worked out for you, eh Troll? Scared of public displays of affection, and you're still a total eunuch and coward. forever :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 12, 2014 1:59:18 PM

14. "Screw their acceptance. In 2014, we do what we want.

-a twentysomething gay"

Yeah, tell that to all the "twentysomething gays" in the NFL and elsewhere in professional sports who ALL remain in the closet because they know that if they "do what they want", they will likely see their careers destroyed.

And by "doing what he wanted" yesterday, Michael Sam has most likely destroyed his own chance at an NFL career.

What a naive little boy you are.

Posted by: Rick | May 12, 2014 2:00:00 PM

15. So he works at the 7-11 now. Big deal.

Posted by: Jack m | May 12, 2014 2:00:24 PM

16. 7 and 11 are actually twins. They were named that because 7-11 is where they were conceived.

Posted by: Palto | May 12, 2014 2:01:35 PM

17. Don't be upset that you're old and fat, Rick. My generation is happy, and not even you can bring us down.

Posted by: Sergio | May 12, 2014 2:03:53 PM

18. Bigots are a strange folk. I'm assuming only he can see and hear his gay psychology friend. He's special...

Posted by: daws | May 12, 2014 2:07:53 PM

19. Rick is having his panties in a bunch just because of a kiss between people he doesn't even know. Does that tell you something about a person? What a psycho.

Posted by: simon | May 12, 2014 2:09:08 PM

20. "My best friend, who is gay..."

You have a gay best friend? Suuuurrrrreeeee you do, you bigot.

I'll bet lots of gay guys want to be friends with some @$$hole who thinks that expressing their love in public is "gross". Yeah, we're just lining up to hang with close-minded d*cks like you, f*ckface.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | May 12, 2014 2:14:15 PM

21. "My generation is happy and not even you can bring us down"

Can't beat living with Mom and Dad and playing video games all day long, between clicks on Grindr, can you?

Posted by: Rick | May 12, 2014 2:22:28 PM

22. Frankly, the 7 and 11 yo brothers SHOULD have seen it. They see men and women kiss all the time--what they shouldn't see is what that nasty piece of sh*t puts out.

Posted by: woodroad34 | May 12, 2014 2:22:30 PM

23. Did you guys know that my parents don't love me? My told me to "man up" a few times too many and it messed me up royally. If andy towle ever updates the comments section so I can no longer post my anonymous brand of hate, I'll probably be forced to off myself.

Posted by: Rick | May 12, 2014 2:30:14 PM

24. Oh Rick, your bitterness is showing. Everyone here hates you, so you needn't bother.

Posted by: Sergio | May 12, 2014 2:31:35 PM

25. Those are some weak 'comebacks', Rick. Don't quit your day job!

Posted by: Kevin K. | May 12, 2014 2:34:42 PM