Andrew Rannells | Hedwig and the Angry Inch | Neil Patrick Harris | News

Andrew Rannells to Take Over for Neil Patrick Harris in 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch' on Broadway

Rannells

Andrew Rannells, who was Tony-nominated for his role in the long-running Broadway hit The Book of Mormon and currently plays the role of Elijah on Girls, will take over for Neil Patrick Harris in Hedwig and the Angry Inch in August for a limited eight-week run, producers announced yesterday.

Harris recently won a Tony award for the role and had already planned to end his run on August 17.

Rannells responded:

Rannells is a good fit for the role. What other actors could you see doing it?

Comments

1. Some of us Jinkx Monsoon fans were hoping s/he'd get to step into the role -- still hopefully for that before it ends.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 13, 2014 8:20:00 AM

2. That face really bugs me.

Posted by: Tigernan | Jun 13, 2014 8:29:40 AM

3. That face really bugs me.

Posted by: Tigernan | Jun 13, 2014 8:29:40 AM

4. He is WONDERFUL!

Posted by: Mike | Jun 13, 2014 8:55:50 AM

5. Alan Cummings would be good, I think.

Posted by: JoyZeeBoy | Jun 13, 2014 9:43:40 AM

6. JINX MONSOON is perfect for this role. Rannells? I don't know. I find him annoying in all his TV roles, but perhaps the stage and being far enough away will help. I hope he does the role justice.

Posted by: Marlon Manroe | Jun 13, 2014 9:51:25 AM

7. Adore Delano and Jinx Monsoon would be good. Even Adam Lambert would be an interesting choice.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 13, 2014 9:57:45 AM

8. I love him but no no no. (I will still go.)

Posted by: David C. | Jun 13, 2014 10:02:02 AM

9. John Cameron Mitchell unless he doesn't feel up to it.

Posted by: jeffg166 | Jun 13, 2014 10:48:10 AM

10. Rick will fly in another rage that all transexuals and drag queens seem to be played by gay men. He seems to be very silent these days. Perhaps his shrink has told him to stay away from his computer.

Posted by: simon | Jun 13, 2014 10:49:04 AM

11. $20 bucks says once NPH is gone, the show doesn't last long before it closes. I get the feeling people are going just to see him. Hopefully I am wrong.

Posted by: Doug | Jun 13, 2014 10:49:39 AM

12. Adam Lambert. Please.

Posted by: Ronnie | Jun 13, 2014 11:01:06 AM

13. I think that Carol Burnett would make a great lead in this role.

Posted by: Pippie | Jun 13, 2014 11:05:34 AM

14. Bebe Neuwirth!

Posted by: @ATJ! | Jun 13, 2014 11:31:59 AM

15. Adam Lambert would be terrific, but I wonder if he has the stamina and motivation needed to perform the role nightly for an eight week gig. I don't recall if he has any previous theater experience.

Posted by: throwslikeagirl | Jun 13, 2014 11:34:48 AM

16. I'm not a Broadway show goer (I'm too cheap to pay those Broadway ticket prices), but it sort of bothers me how Hollywood folks come to New York and only perform for 3 or 4 months and then leave the production.

Can somebody explain what the rational is behind this fairly new system: Movie and television stars doing Broadway plays for only a few months?

My co-worker wanted to see Denzel Washington in "A Raison In The Sun" on her birthday (next week). Well, honey, Denzel has gone back to Hollywood. I felt kinda' bad for her.

Posted by: Derrick form Philly | Jun 13, 2014 11:40:17 AM

17. OK, I think I've figured this Hollywood to Broadway thing out on my own.

I guess if you have a Hollwood star in Broadway play you can regain all the money you spent to mount the production in just a few months--I guess. Does that make sense?

But it's still not fair to theater goers. You want to see Will Smith or Brad Pitt on Broadway--and they're only there for 3 months. That sh.t isn't right.

Posted by: Derrick form Philly | Jun 13, 2014 11:54:44 AM

18. Oh god, Andrew Rannells is so annoying...

Posted by: KeepItReal | Jun 13, 2014 12:17:06 PM

19. Derrick, some Hollywood performers actually got their start doing live theater or have the talent to go between both. Others, Michelle Williams, the weakest cast member in the current run of Cabaret don't. However, acting ability aside, live theater is grueling work. Even veteran Broadway performers only take a run so far. Furthermore, with a big name celebrity on the marquee, there's no break. If you bill NPH as Hedwig, imagine the outrage when a theater goer plops down a wad of cash to see him, only to find an understudy filling his shoes! That's not to say the understudy won't be talented, only that he isn't NPH. A minimum of 8 shows a week will burn out the most talented veteran in no time flat! Hedwig opened in April officially, but ran at least a month prior in previews.

Posted by: Kenneth | Jun 13, 2014 12:38:26 PM

20. Throwslikeagirl, Adam Lambert worked in theatre before doing American Idol. I believe he toured in Hair and was in Wicked in Los Angeles, including a stint playing the male lead in addition to the chorus. So he has (had?) the stage chops. I also bet he'd be a draw at the box office. Does he want to do Broadway at this point? That's the question.

Posted by: Ronnie | Jun 13, 2014 12:46:28 PM

21. Betty White!

Posted by: Mike | Jun 13, 2014 1:19:52 PM

22. I think the show's going to lose its public the moment NPH is gone. Seemed the biggest pull to me, otherwise you might as well just go watch the film.
    Rannells is a little too over the top, too, dare I say, femme to make Hedwig edgy enough. I vote for Betty White also.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jun 13, 2014 2:00:52 PM

23. Derrick, movie stars are frequently slated for projects years in advance. They might be booked to start a movie at a certain date and have to leave the show - even if they would like to stay longer.
    There are also financial considerations: a movie can pay a lot better than a stage gig.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jun 13, 2014 4:02:48 PM

24. It's too bad that Andrew Rannells is always listed as "Tony nominated." He and Josh Gad were both the leads in "The Book of Mormon" and they split the vote. Otherwise, either Rannells or Gad would have won. Oh well.

Here he is in "Book of Mormon":

btw, the song, "I Believe" is an homage/parody of "The Sound of Music" song, "I Have Confidence."

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jun 13, 2014 4:17:02 PM

25. Adore Delano/Danny Noriega would be awesome!

Posted by: Candy | Jun 13, 2014 4:28:37 PM