Gay Pride | Minnesota | News

Betty Crocker Asks People To Bake Rainbow Desserts For Pride Month And Show Them Off: VIDEO

CakeThe baking giant has launched a new campaign asking people to show their pride this June by baking rainbow colored tasty treats and sharing them on social media, according to Marketing Magazine. Owned and operated by General Mills, Betty Crocker will display some of the images of desserts with a dose of pride this weekend at their stand at Minnesota Pride.

Betty Crocker has recently stepped up to the plate on LGBT issues, paying particular attention to LGBT families. The company created a “Families Project” to focus on celebrating families of all stripes and last year travelled to Pride celebrations around the country declaring, “Betty Crocker loves all families, no matter what they look like.” Last year Betty also provided free wedding cakes to some of the first same-sex couples to wed in Minnesota (where General Mills is based) as the state’s ban on same-sex marriage came to an end. As you can imagine, Family Research Council’s Tony Perkins was none too pleased with Betty’s support for gay couples and called for a boycott of the company.

View some of Betty’s pride-ful recipes and take a bite out of the rainbow HERE.

You can also catch a video about Betty Crocker’s “Families Project”, AFTER THE JUMP…

Comments

1. I make one every year for my birthday. I use raspberry jam as the filling between layers. Each layer has its own flavor (cherry, orange, lemon, lime, blueberry, grape) with a cream cheese frosting. Mmmm Mmm!

Posted by: Javier | Jun 26, 2014 12:09:22 PM

2. JAVIER,

you use flavor or food coloring? I'm not being b1tchy. I'm truly curious, because the first time I looked at the photo of the cake I thought, that's whole lot of food coloring.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 26, 2014 12:13:41 PM

3. Um, seeing that there's only a few days left in June, this post is well, a bit late.

BUT-following up on Derricks comment to Javier-I too am curious about the colours, because I'd always assumed it was food colouring as well.

Posted by: jtramon | Jun 26, 2014 12:30:58 PM

4. Unless black is a part of the rainbow these days you won't see any other colors in my cake :P

Posted by: Telly | Jun 26, 2014 12:47:10 PM

5. Why could it not be BOTH food coloring and the flavors that Javier described?

Posted by: Mike | Jun 26, 2014 12:50:23 PM

6. @ MIKE,

yeah, I guess it's probably BOTH. But let's just eat it ONCE a year.

Ha, like I'm into healthy eating...or drinking.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 26, 2014 12:55:51 PM

7. @TELLY: LOL!

Posted by: Joe | Jun 26, 2014 1:02:18 PM

8. What next? Pandering to the trannies by encouraging they bake pale blue, pale pink and white cakes?

Are the LGB and T communities so gullible?

Posted by: MaryM | Jun 26, 2014 1:23:36 PM

9. Hey MARYM, i'm sorry you feel pandered to.
    I feel supported and completely happy about this.

It's cake for goodness sakes.
    lighten up!

Posted by: marc | Jun 26, 2014 2:25:00 PM

10. Of all the faggy stories and faggy threads on this site, this has got to be right up there with the absolute faggiest.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 26, 2014 2:31:35 PM

11. @MARYM what an ignorant person you must be. Its about love and solidarity with our community yet you just disrespected them and what they are doing.

At least they care you cant say that for a lot of other companies nowadays.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 26, 2014 2:36:16 PM

12. And remember, folks - behind every gay man who denigrates "fags" is the father who felt his son was a fag.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 26, 2014 2:39:47 PM

13. @RICK no one asked you too post your verbal diarrhea if you have an issue with LGBT people then you can easily find another site too post on.

I don't care if you are a troll or not either trolls always do things too instigate or entertain themselves because they are lacking something in their own lives as you obviously do.

Any psychology course would tell someone this its transparent as well as obvious.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 26, 2014 2:44:42 PM

14. So beautiful! I always admire these many-layered cakes, but of the multiple times I've tried to make them, cutting the rounds into super-thin slices always turns into crumbly, fall-aparty disaster. I place toothpicks all the way around at a measured level and saw along their guideline with a serrated knife. Is there anything else that you more successful pastry chefs do? Freezing, perhaps?

Posted by: Bakey Buddy | Jun 26, 2014 3:58:01 PM

15. @ BAKEY BUDDY,

oh, my darlin', I want you to get the Pillsbury Medal of Honor--for how much effort you put into creating a cake with rainbow layers.

What about using a different cake layer pan for each color? It would take more time, but you wouldn't have to worry about slicing between layers. Might be a pretty TALL ass layer cake though. LOL

And what about just making a regular pound cake and making the icing rainbow colors.

This has been one of the most important issues on Towleroad for years.

Posted by: Derrrick from Philly | Jun 26, 2014 5:38:30 PM

16. I'm sorry, I meant the "Betty Crocker Medal of Honor". Crocker is a much more pretigious award than the Pillsbury award.

Posted by: Derrrick from Philly | Jun 26, 2014 5:45:23 PM

17. Yikes, that rainbow cake is 100% cake mix and food coloring. C'mon Betty, at least add artificial and natural flavorings! And maybe some ground flax seed.

Posted by: emjayay | Jun 26, 2014 8:51:01 PM

18. One of the worst days of my life was when I found out that Betty Crocker was not real and Conway Twitty was.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 27, 2014 11:03:43 PM