Evangelical Christians

California Pastor's Advice to Parent: Shun Your Gay Child and Turn Him Over to Satan - VIDEO

Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 3.44.36 PM

Popular pastor/radio host John MacArthur of the Grace Community Church in LA’s San Fernando Valley has some choice advice for any parent of a gay kid – show them Christian love by shunning them and turning them “over to Satan.”

Said MacArthur:

“If they profess to be a Christian, you have to alienate them. You have to separate them. You can’t condone that. It’s inconsistent with Christ. So you isolate them, you don’t have a meal with them, you separate yourself from them. You turn them over to Satan as it were as scripture says”

And if your gay kid happens to not be Christian, MacArthur suggests you to “bring the Gospel compassionately, directly, confrontationally to expose that sin and all other sins and call that person to salvation.”

If you care to listen to the bile, you can do so AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. lovely...

Posted by: mymy | Jun 13, 2014 10:14:17 AM

2. Yeah, cause that's what Jesus would do, right?

Right?

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 13, 2014 10:33:21 AM

3. Wow. Well, on a sarcastic note, if only my fundamentalist evangelical mother had shunned me, and turned me over to the devil, I think I would have had a much happier and fun teenage life, instead of abuse, shame, horror, and a hellish day to day existence.

Posted by: spg | Jun 13, 2014 10:34:54 AM

4. Hopefully there is a "new testament" just god vs. the "old testament" cruel" god" that has a place for him and his "christian" beliefs in hell.

Posted by: robertL | Jun 13, 2014 10:36:06 AM

5. In a twisted turn of events maybe it's best that LBGT kids and adults remove themselves as far as possible from this kind of toxic parent and environs. The damage of being around these so-called "christians" could only spiral downwards.

Posted by: Greg | Jun 13, 2014 10:46:03 AM

6. In "calling them to salvation" for a non-christian child, is that code for kill your kid?

Posted by: GT Moore | Jun 13, 2014 10:46:30 AM

7. Just another old closet-case huckster. Yawn.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jun 13, 2014 10:48:31 AM

8. So it they are Christian, you ignore them, and if they are not, you beat them with your Bible ?

Posted by: BrianB | Jun 13, 2014 10:52:50 AM

9. well SPG - Hopefully you shun her now.....sorry I cant relate - I grew up with WW2 Generation parents who Never treated me nor my lesbian sister any different then our other 6 siblings.....I guess I/we were lucky..

Posted by: disgusted american | Jun 13, 2014 10:53:23 AM

10. @ SPG,

very brave and valuable comment. I think I and others know where you're coming from.

Thank you.

Posted by: Derrick form Philly | Jun 13, 2014 10:55:45 AM

11. Why thank you John, that is very Christian of you. FK YOUR HATEFUL GOD !

Posted by: Stephens | Jun 13, 2014 11:01:52 AM

12. Same bile, same hate, same wrong interpretation of the Bible. Different speaker.

Posted by: Hawthorne | Jun 13, 2014 11:06:18 AM

13. He said this on a program called "Grace to You"?

I get the distinct impression that "Grace" doesn't mean what he thinks it means.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 13, 2014 11:08:07 AM

14. This is cruel. The church is in the middle of a lower-middle class/poverty area, made up largely of unschooled foreign-born folks. Fortunately, the LA public schools are very good with providing a sanctuary and base of information for LGBT kids. Nearby Hollywood is full of runaways from homes of parents similar to the ones who would listen to and believe this awful man. The LA LGBT Center (newly renamed from the LA Gay and Lesbian Center) does good work with these homeless teenagers. Sad, incredibly sad.

Posted by: throwslikeagirl | Jun 13, 2014 11:15:00 AM

15. I wish people would read the WHOLE Bible.

Yes, Paul was upset with a man sleeping with his own mother and wrote:
    "...you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people." (1 Corinthians 5:11-12 )

BUT a few months later, he wrote again about the very same person with much more compassion:
    "For such a one, this punishment by the majority is enough, so you should rather turn to forgive and comfort him, or he may be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. So I beg you to reaffirm your love for him." (2 Corinthians 2:6-10)

Posted by: Rev. Brad Vincent | Jun 13, 2014 11:38:44 AM

16. Ask this asshat to cite a single passage in the New Testament where Jesus shuns (or, in fact, says anything about) homosexuals. He can't, because it doesn't exist. There is not a single Christian thing about this man or his beliefs. Disgusting.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 13, 2014 12:04:34 PM

17. And we'll know they are Christians by their love.

Posted by: Gregory in Seattle | Jun 13, 2014 12:06:44 PM

18. I think the Christian issue is just like alcoholism. People get so addicted to god that they lose their basic humanity.

Posted by: Martin | Jun 13, 2014 12:17:22 PM

19. The gay press should stop providing a public forum for these small-time crackpots.

Posted by: Richard | Jun 13, 2014 12:22:40 PM

20. I am so happy and thankful that my parents were smart enough to dismiss the nonsense that is Christianity, and every other religion, each of which is just as ridiculous.

Posted by: Dan Cobb | Jun 13, 2014 12:35:40 PM

21. The old fool is actually giving LGBT teens some helpful advice.

It wasn't until I made the decision to cut myself off from my fundamentalist family that I began to be able to accept myself and see myself as normal. No more fear of rejection by the people I'd been closest to, no more fear of being disowned. No more seeking approval which would never be forthcoming unless I repressed my sexuality and "accepted" Jesus (with them ramming him up my a.$.$.). And when the hateful words DID come, I was like "Who asked you anyway? Don't write me, don't call me, ESPECIALLY when you need a kidney."

The sooner that LGBT teens can make that psychic separation from an abusive, conservative, over-religious family situation, the better chance they'll have to live normally, and to be happy and successful.

In that sense, what Michael Sam said resonates: "If your family rejects you, come be a part of MY family."

Posted by: Mommy Queerest | Jun 13, 2014 12:58:09 PM

22. The old fool is actually giving LGBT teens some helpful advice.

Posted by: Mommy Queerest | Jun 13, 2014 12:58:26 PM

23. Well, since a person can CHOOSE to be Christian, I say, just make a better choice and don;t be Christian. Solves a whole bunch of problems and you will be a better person for it.

Posted by: john | Jun 13, 2014 1:13:11 PM

24. I don't know anymore how many people that joint attracts, but if he keeps up that line he'll be downsizing. More and more people are seeing through that crap. I just wish the attendees would stand up and call bulls**t to his ranting.

Posted by: Burt | Jun 13, 2014 1:26:00 PM

25. . . . oh, and call Child Protective Services and turn yourself in for abandonment and emotional abuse.

Posted by: butchsf | Jun 13, 2014 1:37:21 PM