Books | John Waters | News

John Waters Talks to the NYT About Hitchhiking Across the Country: VIDEO

Hitch_johnwaters

John Waters spoke with the New York Times about his new book Carsick, full of embellished tales about a real-life adventure he took recently hitchhiking across the country.

J_waters"Something could have happened but I'm not scared of people. Staying home is scary!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Carsick is one of the books we'll be giving away all summer to Towleroad readers who are visiting Provincetown and sign up for our POP-UP GAY SUMMER CAMP.

Tonight we'll be drawing the lucky winner of Platinum Passes for 4th of July week at the Crown & Anchor so if you're going to be there next week and haven't signed up, get to it!

Comments

1. Love him to teeny little bits!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 23, 2014 2:50:47 PM

2. John Waters and DIVINE...wow. I would've loved to have met them in person. Together, they may be the best thing that Baltimore ever gave us.

Lord, who can forget the last scene of "Pink Flamingos"? I know some of you found it disgusting but....well.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 23, 2014 2:51:59 PM

3. Great book idea and I'm glad he was brave enough to do it, but my ass still ain't picking up any hitchhikers. The idea of being locked in a metal cage going 60mph down the road with god only knows who freaks me out.

Posted by: Brandon H | Jun 23, 2014 2:57:33 PM

4. LOL. Waters is one of the most interesting and brilliant people who has ever lived. LOL!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 23, 2014 3:06:45 PM

5. Seriously ?
    'Platinum Passes for the Crown and Anchor' ?

And in the Mongolia post above, -"LGBTI";
    yesterday it was -"LGBTQ".

It's the wrong Alice !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 23, 2014 3:11:28 PM

6. @Derrick: I haven't met John Waters, but last summer in P-town I stood in line behind him at an ATM vestibule. I had no idea it was him when he had his back to me, but he walked out of that ATM and I was dumbstricken. The pencil mustache was unmistakeable. He got on his bike and rode off down Commercial Street.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 23, 2014 3:12:29 PM

7. @ CRISPY,

I'm directing my comment at you, but this is for every visitor to Towleroad to understand the accomplishment of John Waters.

For years his movies with DIVINE were sort of cult features--viewed by those that loved his...well, cult movies. But when he did "HAIR SPRAY," it was a whole new avenue. He became mainstream as a successful filmmaker. It wasn't just LGBT folks going to see his movies after midnight. IT WAS EVERYBODY!

I love John Waters as much as I love Spike Lee. I really do.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 23, 2014 3:27:55 PM

8. Living legend.

Posted by: pablo | Jun 23, 2014 4:56:35 PM

9. Living legend.

Posted by: pablo | Jun 23, 2014 4:56:35 PM

10. Really, its sad that a few isolated cases and a media frenzy destroyed a great way for people to meet people and just talk by doing someone a painless but tremendous act of generosity by giving a hitchhiker a ride.

Posted by: hello | Jun 23, 2014 11:13:42 PM