Gay Artists | Gay Media | Gay Pride | Gay Rights | News | Video

Stop-Motion Animated LGBTQ History Series in the Works: VIDEO

PrestonStringerPreston Stringer IV (right, in "Where the Wild Things Are" garb), an animator from San Francisco, CA, has started a Kickstarter campaign for an upcoming stop-motion animated short film series called "LGBTQueerstory."

The series will be about important historical moments and figures who have impacted and shaped the modern queer community today.

The "LGBTQueerstory" Kickstarter page explains more about the show's premise and what needs to happen for its continued creation:

My main goal with this project is to show the positive ways the LGBTQ community has impacted the world and to show young LGBTQ persons the triumphs and struggles that led us to where we are now, hopefully inspiring the next generation to keep up the fight for equality. That is it in a nutshell.

The money I am trying to raise now is to cover bare bones costs for the theme song, desperately needed lighting, voice actors, CLAY! (I am going thru massive amounts of clay), wood, better audio equipment, ball and socket armature parts (basically reusable puppet skeletons), acme punched animation paper, moldmaking whatnots, other miscellaneous puppet and set making materials, animation and fabrication help, and to cover part of the rental costs for the animation space I am using. So far this has all been funded out of my own pocket...With your help, I can make this with higher quality materials and give you a better production value.

Check out his Kickstarter video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Yikes, another letter to remember ! LGBTQ....

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 22, 2014 2:15:26 PM

2. OK : I tried to watch this.......but there was some paint I wanted to watch dry.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 22, 2014 2:18:07 PM

3. LGBTQRDYDUFHDKIFUGBHSUFHGU....

Posted by: Brian W. | Jun 22, 2014 3:57:07 PM

4. LGBTQRDYDUFHDKIFUGBHSUFHGU....

Posted by: Brian W. | Jun 22, 2014 3:57:14 PM

5. The title sucks, as does yet another desperate attempt to shove "queer" down everybody's throat as an "umbrella term" for sex and gender minority groups. Can you say "heterosexist language"?

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jun 22, 2014 4:30:47 PM

6. Preston's cool. And goofy in a fun way. His video will be, too.

Posted by: Kyle Michel Sullivan | Jun 22, 2014 4:48:04 PM

7. hope it gets made

Posted by: captiancrunk | Jun 23, 2014 2:24:18 AM

8. Thank you, Joseph for posting this! I was really excited when I was sent a link to this.

I am, in general, not one to use acronyms as I do not typically remember what all the letters stand for. In deciding on the title, "LGBTQueerstory", well, I liked the way it sounded at the time and have not changed my mind about it yet. It is the story and partial history of the equal rights movement. I feel it fits.

Stuffed Animal, I am sorry you feel personally assaulted by the title. This entire project's goal is to help advance the community by teaching about the past. If you have any suggestions for a title alternative, I am open to suggestions. I want this project to be the best possible form of itself to reach, teach and inspire as many people as possible. Feel free to email me.

Thank you.

Posted by: Preston | Jun 23, 2014 8:22:49 AM

9. I MUCH prefer Queer to LGBTQIWHATEVER.

Posted by: Joseph Jones | Jun 23, 2014 11:07:44 AM

10. That's the great thing about the internet. It gives people who spend their entire lives sitting on their asses the chance to criticize people who are actually doing something.

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 23, 2014 11:50:52 AM

11. Couldn't I just watch old episodes of Gumby and Pokey, Davey and Goliath, or Wallace and Gromit if I want to see the history of gays in Claymation?

Posted by: Ruddigore | Jun 23, 2014 2:38:15 PM