Michael Sam | News | NFL | St. Louis

Michael Sam on His Teammates: ‘They Respect Me As A Human Being and As A Football Player’

Michael sam

USA Today takes a look at how Michael Sam has been holding up in NFL preseason training and how he is fitting in with his fellow teammates on the St. Louis Rams.

"He's learning his role here. We've got such a deep D-line, he's going to fight for his position," [defensive end Robert] Quinn said. "He gives it 110% while he's out here. He wants to learn his playbook, wants to help his team win.

"He's a football player here. That's all that really matters." […]

The Rams also brought Wade Davis, a former NFL player and executive director of the You Can Play Project advocacy group for gay and lesbian athletes, in shortly after the draft to talk with Rams players about having a gay teammate.

Sam said he appreciated the gesture, though he didn't think it was necessary.

"They respect me as a human being and as a football player," he said of his St. Louis teammates.

Sam said with all the past attention and media spotlight, it’s a welcome change to be seen as just another rookie vying for one of the 53 spots on the final roster at the end of preseason.

He added: "I thought our defensive line at Mizzou was pretty tough. This is a whole new level. I've got to up my game."

Comments

1. I wonder if his teammates will make him go throw the typical rookie hazing or if they will be too afraid to for fear of being labeled homophobes.

Posted by: Perry | Jun 9, 2014 12:41:58 PM

2. I love Michael Sam with every news story I read about him.

I mean I love him like an uncle (or an aunt) would. I'm not a fool for young athletes...but I can use my imagination.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 9, 2014 12:43:39 PM

3. I wonder if I, Rick, will ever tire of using dozens of usernames to portray the LGBT community as whiners, wussies and spoilsports.

Posted by: Perry | Jun 9, 2014 12:55:51 PM

4. Polly wants a cracker

Posted by: LITTLE KIWI | Jun 9, 2014 1:08:27 PM

5. The Ricky/Perry post here is kind of tame compared to his other more asinine posts which sometimes alarmed the moderator enough to kill them off.

Posted by: simon | Jun 9, 2014 1:21:02 PM

6. He's such a great guy. I'm glad training is going well for him.

Posted by: John | Jun 9, 2014 1:21:17 PM

7. I'm glad he cut down on the press exposure. Ideally, he should be maintaining total radio silence at this point.

Posted by: Merv | Jun 9, 2014 1:31:01 PM

8. Michael Sam is gay?

Posted by: DC Insider | Jun 9, 2014 2:08:39 PM

9. Michael Sam is gay?

Posted by: DC Insider | Jun 9, 2014 2:08:42 PM

10. It is so funny. When I, the "real" Rick, go away from this blog for days or weeks, and then come back, I see myself mentioned in thread after thread after thread that I have not commented in or even seen up to that point.

Obviously, I am making a deep impression on the gay community and causing it to think deeply about itself--which is a good thing.

As for Michael Sam, I hope he makes it, and whoever did post the first comment in this thread makes a valid point and I don't think it was intended as a slap at Michael....

Posted by: Rick | Jun 9, 2014 2:31:59 PM

11. Stay strong Mike!!!

Posted by: Tom | Jun 9, 2014 2:33:15 PM

12. Obligatory Trollroad post.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Jun 9, 2014 2:43:06 PM

13. I don't know, every statement he makes and every story just comes off soooooo calculated. They're like pageant answers.

Posted by: pablo | Jun 9, 2014 2:53:36 PM

14. Pablo, one of his teammates also mentioned how the media is more obsessed with him, then the players. V good point.

But check his social medias, he's a cool guy-very real and not fake.

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 9, 2014 9:58:15 PM