Anita Bryant | Nancy Grace | News

Nancy Grace: Anita Bryant Was a 'Sweet Lady' with Issues 'Dear to Her Heart': VIDEO

Bryant_grace

Rather than explain to her audience that Anita Bryant was an anti-gay activist who sought to dehumanize gay people by saying they recruit children, comparing them to prostitutes and people who have sex with animals, and saying they're against God while campaigning to keep rights away from them, HLN's Nancy Grace simply said this of Bryant in a segment that aired late last week:

"She makes me think of my own mother. Why would you do this to a 'sweet lady'" who was "speaking on some issue dear to her heart?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via JMG, clipped by Dave Evans)

Comments

1. so many young people were kicked out of their homes, and took their own lives because of Anita Bryant. She's lucky the pie was just a pie - I'd have slammed a plate of broken class, covered in whipped cream, into her face. And I'm hardly even being satirical at this point. Does my 32 year old canadian self need to inform Nancy Grace about the "historical context" - the role this woman played in American History????

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 3, 2014 2:02:15 PM

2. Anita = hate! how many people died due to her hate filled msgs.

Posted by: steve | Jun 3, 2014 2:07:03 PM

3. Anita Bryant and her message has killed many.

Posted by: Bryce | Jun 3, 2014 2:08:00 PM

4. No one is as actively ignorant and stupid as Nancy Grave. I mean, she really works at it.

Posted by: Mikey M | Jun 3, 2014 2:13:25 PM

5. Neither Nancy Grace nor her guest Bethany Marshall seem to have any knowledge of history, or a clue as to why Bryant so richly deserved to be "pied". Worse, they seem to have no curiosity to learn that that which they do not know. Instead they harp on the fact that Bryant was pretty, as if beauty were an issue of relevance here.

A society in which Grace and Marshall are the ones "informing" the public is a society unmoored from historical context. The ignorant can't be teachers.

The charming Bryant, who is so like Grace's mother, made this response to the incident: "At least it was a fruit pie." She was a hateful, hate-filled woman. Her beauty, if any, was strictly superficial.

Posted by: Vint | Jun 3, 2014 2:16:55 PM

6. I THANK Anita Bryant! It is because of her and her bigotry I was always out to my parents. Once they found out I was gay I think they expected me to just sweep it under the rug but thanks to Anita Bryant I learned to stand up for myself and engage my parents in a continuing dialogue from the time I was a teenager. I was one of the lucky ones. Both of my parents are gone now but they knew exactly who I was and loved me unconditionally.

Posted by: Frank | Jun 3, 2014 2:18:09 PM

7. nobody was stalking anita bryant. apples and oranges here (no pun intended). nancy grace is a fool.

Posted by: pc | Jun 3, 2014 2:20:32 PM

8. I've recently been doing some research into Anita Bryant's campaign. In at least one interview, she is quoted as saying, "I'd rather my child be dead than homosexual." I'd say that, compared to a death wish, a pie in the face is pretty minor.

Posted by: Clayton | Jun 3, 2014 2:20:52 PM

9. Nancy Grace immediately ate the pie in question.

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 3, 2014 2:24:25 PM

10. It's Nancy Grace. She should have had the decency to take her own life years ago.

Posted by: Kyle | Jun 3, 2014 2:25:02 PM

11. Nancy Grace isn't that stupid. Her comments displayed not historical ignorance, but homophobia.

Posted by: Richard | Jun 3, 2014 2:27:00 PM

12. And Nancy Grace still has a show on TV why?

Posted by: Perry | Jun 3, 2014 2:27:40 PM

13. You really should put a warning anytime you put a picture of Nancy Grace here.

Posted by: bkmn | Jun 3, 2014 2:33:42 PM

14. Nancy Grace is a mouth with arms and legs.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 3, 2014 2:34:23 PM

15. So we're taking Nancy Grace seriously now? That's cool. I mean, if you want to. It's dumb, but go for it.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 3, 2014 2:37:03 PM

16. A "SWEET LADY" my left hoof! Anita Bryant is not a "was" anything. Do not recall anyone singing "the bad old witch is dead" lately. (PLEASE oblige them.) You should know her, she probably lives under the same slimy rock as you. She remains a MONSTER and a monument to HATE. As usual get your fact straight Nancy Grace. I suppose you are America's darling . . .

Posted by: Mike | Jun 3, 2014 2:39:22 PM

17. I totally agree that Anita Bryant was a despicable figure & caused great harm by giving voice to haters.

However, the pie-in-the face tactic was a dark day for gay equality. Nothing made her appear more sympathetic to middle America or more of a martyr than this attack. Making a woman cry, especially one who is a young mother & has a carefully crafted image as a wholesome Christian, never works.

A far better response to the press conference would have been to turn-the-other-cheek (like that Jesus fellow taught) & show the world real examples (of which there were many) of the tragedies brought on by gay-bashing.

True, there is a time to fight back. ACT-UP comes to mind as an imperfect, but effective way to challenge the status quo & demand our rights. Picking on a woman, no matter how misguided her point of view, is not like standing up to an institution,

Much of our progress since 1977 comes from winning hearts & minds. We shouldn't take actions that are counter-productive just because it eases our frustrations. We're better than that.

Posted by: JONNY NYNY2FLFL | Jun 3, 2014 2:40:27 PM

18. One more reason why I don't like Nancy Grace.

Posted by: Red | Jun 3, 2014 2:41:12 PM

19. Nancy Grace is a Pseudonym for Mephistopheles Goodheart. Her last name is quite the oxymoron...And she dances badly.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jun 3, 2014 2:43:46 PM

20. Jonny - call your bluff on that load of nonsense. If you always take on the chin, nothing will change.

yeah. she cried. just as she drove far too many young LGBT people to commit suicide. just as she encouraged so many families to turn their backs on their own children.

thank GOD for those of you from Back In The Day who had the spines to defy hatred, and not 'turn the other cheek' like a f***ing coward.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 3, 2014 2:45:32 PM

21. She's white trash and a bigot. Clearly she's begging for someone to pie her in the face so she can milk it for ratings.

Posted by: jexerer | Jun 3, 2014 2:50:09 PM

22. Nancy Grace. . . hmmmm. Well consider the source of the comments. Nancy has had her 15 minutes. Time to give it up and pass it on to someone else. Never considered her particularly bright in the first place.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 3, 2014 2:53:01 PM

23. Imagine if Brad Pitt wound up like John Lennon?

How many "took their lives" over Anita Bryant? Any figures? I lived in Miami at the time. She was hated. More were contracting AIDS at that time. Nancy Grace is camp.

Posted by: GEB | Jun 3, 2014 2:57:06 PM

24. "GEB" - go drive yourself into a lake. Anita's hate pre-dates the introduction of the AIDS virus. even a thirty something would know that. no matter what screen name you choose, it's always a load of stupid coming outta you.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 3, 2014 3:02:10 PM

25. Self combust Kiwi. You weren't there. You're a dated concept.

Posted by: GEB | Jun 3, 2014 3:04:35 PM