Film and TV | News | Television | Transgender | Web Series

New Web Series, 'Brothers,' Is A Dramedy About Four Trans-Masculine People In Brooklyn: VIDEO

Brothers

A new web series, "Brothers," will explore the lives of four trans-masculine men living in Brooklyn, NY. It is an exciting and refreshing prospect for representation of a group not often on view in our pop cultural milieu, and you can help fund it. Director/writer/star Emmett Lundberg (above) cast only transgender actors in his dramedy and seems to be aiming for the utmost authenticity, tracing the everyday from the perspective of an underrepresented group.

The Advocate reports:

“I’ve reached a place in my own transition where I’m starting to settle into who I am, and to who I will be, so I wanted to see that on screen,” [Lundberg] explains...

“I have always been frustrated by the lack of trans-masculinity in the media and I thought it was so great that someone finally took it into their own hands to create a series about the trans* male experience,” summarizes [Hudson Krakowski, one of the show's actors] in a cast interview. He, and the other cast members, all report that the buzz surrounding Brothers has been overwhelmingly positive.

Lundberg aims to create an eight-episode first season for the show, based largely on support for an Indiegogo campaign he began on June 1st. Check it out and think about donating to this meaningful project.

In the meantime, catch the first episode, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. You have to marvel at the gall of anti-gay trans activists trying to fund their web series with gay money. I'd sooner burn my wallet before donating to trans activists.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 9, 2014 9:48:47 AM

2. Why are we bombarded with this crap every day? This is nasty and has nothing to do with gay people. If Towleroad is now a trans**#$@%^ blog and is no longer a gay blog, pls let me know so i can stop coming here!

Posted by: Eddie | Jun 9, 2014 9:56:11 AM

3. This site is owned and operated by Andy Towle. If you don't like his editorial decisions, you are completely free to not read his site.

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Jun 9, 2014 10:03:37 AM

4. Eddie and Dave and the other trolls: so skip the story.

MANY of us regular readers and contributors are happy both to read these stories and to support our trans brothers and sisters.

Those of us with a brain and a knowledge of history also realize that the T belongs in LGBT.

Posted by: KevinVt | Jun 9, 2014 10:17:59 AM

5. I am a gay man who is also a trans ally, this is important to me.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Jun 9, 2014 10:26:16 AM

6. What's trans-masculine? Is that the same as feminine?

Posted by: Carmelita | Jun 9, 2014 10:26:38 AM

7. @Dave & Eddie. "anti-gay trans activists?", "nasty?" Are you kidding me? These guys are as much a part of our "family" as either of you clowns. You both come off like a couple of pretentious buttwipes who need to grow up and get a more tolerant life. And that's another GAY man talkin' to you, dudes.

Posted by: DavidAz | Jun 9, 2014 10:39:11 AM

8. @Eddie & Co: Let you know? If you haven't figured out by now that TR is a trans-inclusive blog, you're kinda slow. You're only bombarded if you let yourself be bombarded. If you don't like T posts, if you don't like TR's editorial choices (which clearly embrace trans-related posts), you have the power to avoid them, really you do! No need to be a victim of material you loathe. Plenty of other blogs in the sea ... sometimes one wonders if anti-trans people enjoy punishing themselves.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 9, 2014 10:42:14 AM

9. Well, the only complaint I have is that it looks boring.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 9, 2014 11:14:50 AM

10. Wow what is wrong with you people?
    Gay cis man here, 100% support the T in our LGBT

Posted by: Alex | Jun 9, 2014 11:20:17 AM

11. Yeah, the anti-Transgender folk on this blog are mostly one person. His main posting name begins with an "R," but he has a bunch of posting names.

He's a nut...or a bunch of nuts--not the tasty kind that most men have.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 9, 2014 11:26:42 AM

12. Eddie: STOP coming here. Now you know dbag.

Posted by: Derek | Jun 9, 2014 11:36:38 AM

13. KevInVt, why are only transfolk your brothers and sisters? Why don't you embrace all people? BTW, do you know how trans activists refer to most of humanity? They call them "cishet." That is meant to sound like the word for feces. That is the mentality you are supporting.

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 9, 2014 11:44:33 AM

14. It's generally pronounced "siz-hett", so unless you've got a severe speech impediment then that's quite a stretch. I mean, seriously, it sounds more like "sizzle" than "sh*t".

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Jun 9, 2014 11:48:24 AM

15. Alex you jack*ss, they don't support you. They are antigay and anti-lesbian. They support violence against us to keep us in line and oppose our rights unless they are used as a vehicle to enact transgender demands.

You are just a clueless victim, embracing people who hold you in contempt.

Posted by: Sharon | Jun 9, 2014 11:50:13 AM

16. You folks are so utterly despicable. Do you think this is a joke? Do you seriously believe that people can't see that you created a word that reads like sh*t to refer to heterosexuals? If that wasn't your intent, why not refer to them as hetcis?

You are talking about my family, BTW. Do you think that LGBs wouldn't take offense?

Trans activists may think they are being clever, but you and they won't get away with it. We will make known your hatred and contempt for 99.9% of humanity, including LGBs. And then that hatred and contempt will come right back to Ts. Then we'll see who is laughing.

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 9, 2014 11:59:01 AM

17. The anti-trans troll in here is one sad little man, using different names, because he has no life and nobody loves him and he hasn't a spine or a pair of testicles of his own. That's why he comments, hatefully and anonymously under various screen names that he often borrows from other users.

My point? That his anonymity and cowardice proves him wrong - and everyone else right. Kudos to this series shedding light on a valued and worthy part of our diverse community.

Transpeople face the wordl every day with a strength and resilience that, frankly, we could all be inspired and empowered by.

It's pride month, folks. So naturally our resident troll is angrier than usual - all around him are celebrations of diversity and he's never known love or acceptance.

ANDY TOWLE - change this site's commenting system. its time. kill the troll.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 9, 2014 12:08:06 PM

18. "Gay cis man here, 100% support the T in our LGBT"

I must have been absent the day we voted on the BTLG thing because one day we were gay and then suddenly we were Lesbian, Gay, bi and THEM

Posted by: Homo Genius | Jun 9, 2014 12:11:13 PM

19. Tyler, these trans activists passed despicable a long time ago. They are better described as evil at this point. Why would trans activists equate non-transgender heterosexuals with human waste? Because that is what fascists and thugs need to do to dehumanize people before they attack them.

"Cishet" is just part of a broader spiraling downward by trans activists into thuggery, violence and dysfunction. We need to stand with their victims, the "cishet" people that they are dehumanizing, not with them.

Posted by: Helene | Jun 9, 2014 12:13:25 PM

20. You were absent, TROLL. you were in the closet, where you're destined to die alone. because unlike these brave transguys, you're not a person of worth. you're the coward your family always knew you to be. you're going to be left out forever. and thank GOD. die in there. seriously.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 9, 2014 12:15:32 PM

21. Trans issues are not gay issues

As a male i do not want to cut off my cock and declare myself heterosexual

If I was a woman I wouldn't want to cut off my breasts , invert my vagina, and then declare myself heterosexual

Human decency issues covers all and I would support such for anyone, but trans issues are not gay issues

Posted by: Hmmm | Jun 9, 2014 12:18:22 PM

22. LK, obviously there are many people who disagree with you. You may imagine all opposition to trans activism and to LGBT comes in the form of one satanic being, but it is a legitimate resistance shared by many Ls, Gs, Bs and yes, Ts. In fact, there are T blogs which come out very forcefully against transgender activists, whom they don't feel represent them, and to the concept of LGBT.

You won't win the argument by bullying and silencing the voices of others.

Posted by: Helene | Jun 9, 2014 12:18:42 PM

23. Troll - I call your motherf***ing bluff. Meh. Wont' matter - you'll just keep switching screen names, posting your name nonsense.

I show who I am, because I have a spine. You don't. You have anonymous hate. You are not "many people". You are one worthless sack of crap.

Every day you come here and spew your same sh*t. Father's Day is coming up - give your dad the gift he always wanted from you: off yourself.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 9, 2014 12:23:56 PM

24. "You think *this* is bullying? You better stay closeted for life, because if we ever met face to face I'd show you what real bullying looks like."

What do you mean by that? What would you show me?

Posted by: Helene | Jun 9, 2014 12:34:35 PM

25. Troll - i call your bluff. Show yourself. These trans people stand up to be counted to change the world to make it a better place. You switch screen names and spew hatred from a place of anonymity. I call your bluff. You're a real person? Prove it you hack.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 9, 2014 12:38:05 PM