Gay Pride | News | Starbucks

Starbucks Raises Enormous LGBT Pride Flag Over Seattle Headquarters: PHOTOS

Starbucks

Starbucks raised an enormous 800 square foot LGBT Pride flag over its Seattle headquarters today in celebration of the 40th anniversary of Seattle Pride.

Photographer Nate Gowdy was on hand and shared these images with Towleroad of the clock tower and flag, as well as CEO Howard Schultz, who observed the flag raising with employees.

Seattle Pride Communications Director Adam McRoberts applauded the gesture in a press release:

"We are thrillled that Starbucks is showing their support for the LGBT community in this very big, very public way. The flag flying over their headquarters will welcome thousands of visitors coming to seattle to celebrate Pride this week and is a testament to the support Starbucks has shown the LGBT community over the years."

2_starbucks

Comments

1. THANK YOU STARBUCKS!

Posted by: steve | Jun 23, 2014 7:59:23 PM

2. Not at all a surprise Starbucks would do this - its a very inclusive company, very supportive of its LGBT partners and customers

Posted by: dumbnhung | Jun 23, 2014 9:31:14 PM

3. Damn, the federal building blocks my view from my office. I'll have to take a walk that way tomorrow.

Posted by: SammySeattle | Jun 23, 2014 9:50:24 PM

4. Wonderful!

Posted by: Honesty | Jun 23, 2014 9:55:50 PM

5. I'm going to use my Reward and get a few more stars. Thanks Starbucks and Howard Schultz!

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 24, 2014 1:55:51 AM

6. Its a very big flag, and apparently had to be specially sewn. I was at my beloved Pony (Seattle gay bar, the best) recently and got a little insight from a higher up at SB about it and the determination of Schultz to make a big statement in spite of people within the company (who are fully for equal rights) a little worried that it would bring a boycott. I am not a coffee drinker, and when I do drink coffee I generally go to one of the many smaller cafes here in Seattle. But Schultz and his team are for real and I salute their extra effort. Yay for Seattle!

Posted by: T.s. | Jun 24, 2014 2:51:12 AM

7. And yea. I know It's should have an apostrophe. Never trust autospell. (or a busted keyboard)

Posted by: T.s. | Jun 24, 2014 2:52:13 AM

8. Starbucks coffee still tastes like pigswill.

Did you know that Starbucks pays no tax whatsoever in Europe - it launders its money through the Netherlands.

Starbucks is another vile, corporate giant whose gay-friendliness is skin deep.

Naturally it continues to have contempt for the countries it operates in.

Posted by: MaryM | Jun 24, 2014 3:57:51 AM

9. Looking great.

Posted by: Matt27 | Jun 24, 2014 4:13:43 AM

10. Does Starbucks pay its staff a living wage?

Posted by: MaryM | Jun 24, 2014 7:36:13 AM

11. I wonder when people will finally realize that the rainbow flag isn't just an LGBT symbol, it's an EVERYONE IS EQUAL symbol...

That means it's even inclusive of those idiots who hate it.

Posted by: johnny | Jun 24, 2014 8:49:40 AM

12. Whatever criticisms you might have of Starbucks, it has been a pretty LGBT-friendly company from the start. I commend them for their symbolism.

However, for you non-Seattle residents, the Starbucks building pictured is in an industrial area of south Seattle next to a railroad. Despite the grand size of the flag, a lot of people will never see it. It won't have a fraction of the visibility that the Pride flag flying from the Space Needle had, for example.

Posted by: Reverse Polarity | Jun 24, 2014 9:59:45 AM

13. Starbucks unfurled ONLY an 800 square foot gay flag on top of their headquarter building ??? Starbucks must be homophobic, as they flew such a tiny flat. My gay flag is 1600 square inches -- twice their size. And, besides, what is the minor difference between square feet and square inches.........

Posted by: David Jarretrt | Jun 24, 2014 10:07:02 AM

14. Wow that last picture is all you need. He looks so proud, that's what this is all about right? Corporate pride?

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 25, 2014 3:36:13 PM