Broadway Icon Elaine Stritch Dead at 89

Stritch

Elaine Stritch has died, the NYT reports:

Elaine Stritch, the brassy, tart-tongued Broadway actress and singer who became a living emblem of show business durability and perhaps the leading interpreter of Stephen Sondheim’s wryly acrid musings on aging, died on Thursday at her home in Birmingham, Mich. She was 89.

Her death was confirmed by a friend, Julie Keyes. Before Ms. Stritch moved to Birmingham last year, she lived, famously, for many years at the Carlyle Hotel in Manhattan.

Stritch was recently the subject of a documentary called Shoot Me. Earlier this year, she became a viral sensation on the web after dropping a hilarious F-bomb on the Today show with Hoda and Kathie Lee.

Stritch also said recently that she was just becoming aware that she had a huge gay fanbase.

RIP.

Comments

1. Carlos says

I had the opportunity to see her at The Curran Theatre in San Francisco, where she performed, “Elaine Strich: At Liberty”. She was wonderful.

2. RonCharles says

If you have not ever seen Elaine Stritch’s “At Liberty.” you have been deprived. Her account of her involvement with Rock Hudson alone is worth one’s seeing the play for. It is out on DVD, and it is fantastic. She brought great joy to many people. RIP, Elaine!

3. JonnyNYNY2FLFL says

Flew back to NYC from LA many years ago & realized she was also in the cabin just by hearing her voice.
    She was a unique talent. #RIP

4. Alan says

I had the privilege of seeing Elaine a number of times at the Carlyle and in “A Little Night Music.” She was a real dame, a great entertainer, and will certainly been missed.

No longer “still here,” . . . RIP Elaine.

5. Dback says

Dbaudit, that’s where my brain went too! “Another vodka studio stinger; I’ll drink to that…everybody rise! Rise! RIIIISE!!” And as she quoted Noel Coward, “I’ve been to a marvelous party”-oh Stritchey, you WERE the party.

6. Tatts says

Sad day. It really is the end of an era.

There are many performers–actors, singers, rock and rollers–who aren’t going to be around forever. See them live while you still can. I’m glad I saw her twice–At Liberty and at The Carlyle.

7. Dw says

Saw her “at liberty” and the Carlyle – and shared an elevator alone with her in SF when she just started at the curran. What a thrill to have her ask me where the nearest Starbucks was!
    Yes, I gushed a little.