Dustin Lance Black | Russia | Tom Daley

Airliner Carrying Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black Makes Emergency Landing in Russia: VIDEO

Dlb

A Virgin Atlantic airliner carrying British diver Tom Daley and his boyfriend, screenwriter Dustin Lance Black made an emergency landing in Russia earlier today, according to posts on social media made by the couple.

Daley_blackDaley tweeted: "Scary to emergency land in RUS after recent events, yet no word on what problem is after hour surrounded by fire engines #VirginAtlantic"

Black posted video on Facebook of the plane dumping fuel, writing: "EMERGENCY LANDING into a Russian town. This was our view over Mongolia. #VirginAtlantic #ScaryAsHell"

Watch Black's video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Virgin Atlantic press office released a statement:

"Virgin Atlantic can confirm that the VS251 travelling from Shanghai to London Heathrow has diverted to Irkutsk Airport, Russia, as a precautionary measure due to a technical issue detected inflight. As standard procedure the aircraft disposed of excess fuel ahead of landing and the flight was met at the airport by the local emergency services.

The aircraft is currently on the ground and our customers are being looked after by our cabin crew. Our priority now is to ensure our customers resume their journey as soon as possible. Safety and security is always our top priority and we would like to thank passengers for their patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

The Airbus A340-600 aircraft is carrying 286 passengers and 15 crew. It departed Shanghai at 12:18 local time and was due to arrive at London Heathrow at 17:14 local time."

Comments

1. After very sad news few days ago, it is very good the pilots were able to bring the plane down safely.

Posted by: Matt27 | Jul 21, 2014 12:15:52 PM

2. Ooh.. I've landed there twice on purpose. Tiny little airport!

Posted by: KevinVt | Jul 21, 2014 12:16:57 PM

3. Though I don't understand his thing for Crimea, I can see why Vlady might want these two all to himself...

Posted by: kipp | Jul 21, 2014 12:24:15 PM

4. Just get out of Russia as soon as possible Tom.
    That fascist country does not welcome our kind.
    But at least you are down safe.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 21, 2014 12:25:35 PM

5. The most interesting thing about this story is that they apparently fly coach.

Posted by: Max | Jul 21, 2014 12:27:02 PM

6. Glad they are safe. However, given that during the period of a fuel dump passengers most certainly would be required to be in their seats and belted. This is an A340-600…and based upon the general configurations of that aircraft, this photo might suggest the pair of them were sitting in Economy. That may be the biggest news out of this story!

Posted by: Michael | Jul 21, 2014 12:28:53 PM

7. This is unintentionally humorous - 2 very famous gay guys have to make an emergency landing in, of all places, anti-gay Russia.
    I hope the 2 young gents pull a gay Jesus and go out and spread the Gospel of goodwill, acceptance and love your neighbour to all.

Posted by: David From Canada | Jul 21, 2014 12:31:48 PM

8. Max! You beat me to the punch. Airplane nerds unite! LOL!

Posted by: Michael | Jul 21, 2014 12:32:03 PM

9. Towleroad takes DAYS to post other more newsworthy events, but it's all up-to-the-minute on this.

Gotta love your priorities.

Posted by: sting | Jul 21, 2014 12:50:16 PM

10. @Michael @Max That was the first thing I thought of too. lol.
    Also, I been on a flight when this has happened and that silence is creepy.

Posted by: wonderer | Jul 21, 2014 1:00:27 PM

11. Glad they are okay, but shocked to see they were flying COACH! (You can tell from the photo that their seats were way behind the wing). Tom deserves at least business class.

Posted by: Andy | Jul 21, 2014 1:03:20 PM

12. I find it kinda refreshing to see "celebrities" acting like normal everyday people and not demanding or expecting perks.

Posted by: Lazycrockett | Jul 21, 2014 1:16:13 PM

13. @lazycrockett: It's not about demanding or expecting perks, it's a matter of comfort. I've flown from SFO-SYD in coach and it's pretty awful. Surely they could afford Business Class. Believe me, it makes a difference. Glad they're okay. That's really the important thing

Posted by: Paul | Jul 21, 2014 1:28:38 PM

14. Most shocking part of this story: Oscar winners and Olympic athletes fly coach. Celebrities, they're just like us!

Posted by: Jmac | Jul 21, 2014 1:49:07 PM

15. kipp

putin wanted crimea because russia needs a warm water sea port

an issue russia has dealt with for centuries

Posted by: Moz's | Jul 21, 2014 2:04:39 PM

16. Flying 1st class from Shanghai to London with a fabulous boyfriend! *Sigh* I could have had this life if only I had been talented, successful, good-looking, and had a personality that wasn't like nails on a chalkboard!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 21, 2014 2:17:09 PM

17. Fuel dumps are pretty standard when there's something that might threaten a safe landing like a landing gear malfunction or flight controls. Very curious to know what the malfunction was. Glad everyone's ok. Good piloting.

Posted by: brian | Jul 21, 2014 2:22:23 PM

18. Oh, look. My trolling obsessive stalker is posting under my screen name. again. ooh, nice website. lilkiwisucksazz. had dee har.

hey troll! feel free to follow me on instagram :) lord knows you think about me enough.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 21, 2014 2:22:28 PM

19. Almost any flight between Asia and Europe on a Great Circle route requires flying over Russia (and China). N/A Flat-Earth TeaParty/GOPers.

Posted by: Hue-Man | Jul 21, 2014 2:25:53 PM

20. LOL @ "...ooh, nice website. lilkiwisucksazz. had dee har."

LOL. Oh, my.

I knew that first posting wasn't yours.

LOL. But you sure got him back...whoever the b1tch is.

"...lilkiwisucksazz." LOL

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 21, 2014 2:36:14 PM

21. It's actually strangely reassuring that they are thrifty enough to fly in coach. I'm guessing they might not have booked months ahead, and a business class fare from China to the UK is probably astonishingly expensive if purchased relatively close to the departure time.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jul 21, 2014 2:58:11 PM

22. Clutch the pearls

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 21, 2014 3:01:49 PM

23. I usually just shake my head at comments that criticize, this site and it contents, but the comments have so become so incessantly childish, pathetic, and repetitive that I won't say I'm going to quit reading Towleroad. But after 7 or so years of regularly reading the comments---which at one time were as informative and engaging as the stories--I'm definitely giving up on that aspect of the site.

A few people with severe personality issues have degraded this site's perceived readership, and I would no longer admit to anyone that I was once an avid reader, much less regular contributor. It's sad, but Andy has been aware of it for (literally) years and done nothing to temper it. So, bye.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 21, 2014 3:30:31 PM

24. Guys...why would these guys be wealthy?? A diver and an oscar winning screen writer of 'intellectual' and low grossing films??

Come on now...do people who post here no nothing of business? Sometimes I feel the gay community comment section is soo naive...

They got a new flat in London-it's not cheap. AT ALL. And he still has his home in LA....not cheap AT ALL.

Does Daley have any endorsements? And Lance Black hasn't had a hit....or done anything for a while..

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 21, 2014 4:39:26 PM

25. "do people who post here no nothing of business?"

Or of spelling?