Grindr | Judge Judy

Judge Judy Hears Grindr Case: VIDEO

Gagging

In a very special episode of Judge Judy that, from afar, would appear to have been produced by World of Wonder and Bianca Del Rio, Judge Sheindlin learned all about Grindr. Sterns v. Murphy is a cautionary tale as old as time: Older man with a penchant for younger men finds a “friend” who, in exchange for companionship, asks for temporary loans to, you know, cover bills and stuff.

The case in and of itself is rather run of the mill. It’s Judy’s reaction to the circumstances and how the plaintiff and defendant met that’s the shining spectacle of the show.

"Um, we met on a social website,"  explained defendant Adam Murphy "It's actually called Grindr, it's an app. For your phone or your iPad. It's a social app that tells you where homosexual males are and their proximity. To where you are."

Murphy claims that he only sought companionship from Sterns and that any exchange of money between the individuals should be considered “gifts” rather than the loans Sterns was looking to recoup. After a fair amount of chuckling from the gallery and requisite eye-rolling, Judge Judy dismissed the case, citing that Sterns gave the money over willingly with no expectation of ever being repaid.

We can only assume that RuPaul is out there somewhere living for this.

Watch a clip from the hearing, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This world truly is a toilet.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Jul 2, 2014 2:39:49 PM

2. Dude on the left in the dark suit and blue shirt seems to know all about Grindr.

Posted by: Jay | Jul 2, 2014 2:40:03 PM

3. @quicksilver

Never heard terms "sugar daddy" or "gold digger"? It's not just limited to straights.

Posted by: Steve | Jul 2, 2014 3:10:22 PM

4. @steve duh, me don't think so. rock me under no have dictionary. But it does have a GFY button.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Jul 2, 2014 3:18:14 PM

5. "Dude on the left in the dark suit and blue shirt seems to know all about Grindr."

@jay - his reaction was too funny! ;) and judy knew exactly what was up with the app, too! gotta lover her.

Posted by: northalabama | Jul 2, 2014 3:31:35 PM

6. I saw this show. The plaintiff must be into humiliation...just a guess.

Posted by: Tom | Jul 2, 2014 4:29:04 PM

7. Dude wanted his Bills payed and legally there's nothing wrong with that, the other guy should have known better instead of constantly giving him the cash, that is why Judge Judy threw this case out!

Posted by: Larry | Jul 2, 2014 4:47:13 PM

8. As I understand it, if you go on Judge Judy, you get paid for your claim, win or lose. Not that I have been on...

Posted by: Ken | Jul 2, 2014 4:53:57 PM

9. I don't understand Judge's Judy's comment on the one hand that if he really wanted to make friends he would look for one of his contemporaries, like other college students his own age, and then use the example that if she wanted to make friends she would NOT look on a website for old Jewish ladies but would be expanding her horizons. (It would have made sense to me for consistency if she'd said that "I WOULD focus my search on old Jewish ladies who are my contemporaries and would NOT expand my horizons so dramatically.")
    Did her attempt to support her assertion about making appropriate friends not instead contradict it, or did I not understand?

Posted by: GregV | Jul 2, 2014 5:49:09 PM

10. Ken - Not exactly. If you win your case, the show pays the judgement and the loser may get some compensation. If your case is dismissed no one gets anything (except a trip to LA and all expenses paid while you are traveling).

Posted by: GregM | Jul 2, 2014 8:43:57 PM

11. Guess Sterns should have gotten the loan agreement in writing. Then "Judge Judy" would not have been able to base a decision on speculation regarding who expected what.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 2, 2014 11:46:29 PM

12. @Larry @Gregm: another possibility is that the two are still boyfriends and wanted a low cost vacation to the Los Angeles area (maybe centered around West Hollywood), and figured a grindr case would get them on the show due to sounding risque.

Seriously, though, while I've no idea about these two guys in particular, I kind of wonder if some sort of game-playing is behind most of the cases that appear on such TV shows.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 3, 2014 3:05:25 AM

13. Speaking of drag race, guy on the left looks like Delta Work

Posted by: AFFICIONADO | Jul 3, 2014 3:24:43 AM

14. @ Bill

Rule of thumb: There is very little reality in "reality TV."

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jul 3, 2014 5:09:26 AM

15. @gr8guyca : most of what I know about reality TV is from reading about it, due to having given up on television years ago. I've only seen "Judge Judy" while visiting someone who had the program on, so my exposure to it is rather limited.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 3, 2014 1:12:12 PM