Mom Smacks Down Ignorant Questions In Passionate Defense Of Trans Daughter: VIDEO

Debi

Debi Jackson — a self-described “conservative southern Baptist” mom from Alabama who wanted a boy — recently spoke in passionate defense of her six-year-old transgender daughter A.J. who began transitioning into a female appearance at age four.

In her heartfelt speech, Jackson describes her daughter’s transition as well as the parental intolerance and ignorant questions raised by others who blame Debi for her daughter’s transition:

“Kids have no idea what they want or who they are. My kid wants to be a dog! Should I let him?”…

“There’s a profound difference between wanting to be something in imaginary play and in declaring who you are insistently, consistently, and persistently — those are the 3 markers that set transgender children apart, and my daughter displayed all of them.”

“Kids shouldn’t have to learn about sex at such a young age.”

Well, I agree, so it’s a good thing that being transgender has nothing to do. Gender identity is strictly about how a person views him or herself on the inside and it is completely separate from who we are attracted to.”

“God hates transgender people. They are sinners and going to hell.”

My God taught us to love one another. Jesus sought out those who others rejected. Some people choose to embrace biblical verses that appear to say that transgender people are being wrong. I choose to focus on verses like I Samuel 16:7 which says “But the Lord said to Samuel, ‘Do not consider his appearance or his height for I have rejected him.’” The Lord does not look at the things that people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. My daughter is a girl at her heart. She knows it.

According to PFLAG’s blog A Note To My Kid — a place where “ parents, families friends, and allies of the LGBTQ community the opportunity to share their unconditional love, via notes, photos, and videos” — Jackson has also “started a website for parents of transgender and gender nonconforming children: trans-parenting.com.

Watch her speech AFTER THE JUMP…

Comments

1. Alliefoo says

People demanding to know why a article about trans people is on Towleroad and whining about how the T isn’t a part of the LGB in 4… 3… 2… 1…

2. says

YUP – same thing is happening at my friend’s son’s school: there’s a trans boy. he’s 7. his classmates and teachers are FINE. only one other student had a “problem” – and that was only after that student was informed by his parents that he should have a problem with it. amazingly – the kids resolved the issue.

“you have to be carefully taught how to hate”

3. reader says

I’m really happy Towleroad has grown its coverage of trans issues. To the increasingly small number of gay men who are resistant to the T in the LGBT movement, you have lost this argument. You don’t get to close the door just because you’re now on the other side of the wall.

4. TampaZeke says

Debi just told me that she is no longer a Southern Baptist or a Republican and that she no longer lives in Alabama. She lives in the Midwest and is looking for a new denomination and church. She’s still conservative, but in the traditional sense, not the non-conservative, extremist sense that now controls the Republican Party.

5. Lymis says

“The daughter is not trans She’s just different from the stereotype. Different is healthy. Different is not trans.”

No, different is not always trans. But sometimes it is. The person inside the body gets the vote. Neither you nor I do.

And you didn’t complete your little syllogism, where your next line seemed likely to be “trans is not healthy.” Regardless, trans is not unhealthy. Just different from the gender experience of most people.

6. Tyler says

Trolling is a submission to stereotype. It is in the mind, too.

See, Petey? I can use your own trolling against you. And by you, I mean Rick.

7. Jerry says

This is poor parenting. When your kid is 4, you make the big decisions, not the kid. And you don’t make major life-altering decisions without data.

This kid didn’t even start speaking until he was 2. He’s 4 now. So you are going to label him trans and start “transitioning” him based on 24 months of data? And it isn’t like that was 24 months of intensive study. It was 24 months taken up with the usual needs of a toddler. I am sure there were some gender atypical choices and actions, but it seems like a thin reed on which to base this decision. Hopefully, we aren’t reading about his de-transitioning at age 8. If that should happen, TheDrDonna will be here to scold Towleroad for covering it, and Little Kiwi and his mindless cheerleading will be nowhere in sight.

8. Thedrdonna says

Actually, I would support the child in finding whatever gender presentation makes them comfortable. Only bigots want to force others into a gender presentation they don’t want to be in.

9. petey says

What is a female appearance anyway? Long hair? In the 60’s and 70’s, many American men had long hair. The males of the American Revolution had long hair. Were they trans? No.

My point is that trans is a state of mind and stereotype.

10. Jerry says

TheDrDonna – You commented on a de-transitioning story that coverage of such stories is harmful to the “trans community.” Your community depends upon happy propaganda to sustain its myths and can’t tolerate stories about de-transitioning.

BTW, who cares whether you would “support” an 8-year old as he de-transitions from a transition made at 4? You don’t know him. You have no responsibility for his upbringing. You are a commenter on a blog. What we should care about is that he isn’t harmed as a child. I guess only bigots put a child’s welfare about trans ideology.

11. Thedrdonna says

Jerry, which story? Got a link?
    And, my point was that this kid is doing their thing under both parental and doctor supervision. That’s how the process works. The only person with an “idealogy” is the one here insisting they know better than the kid herself, her parents, and her doctors. Now, who does that sound like?

12. Jerry says

TheDrDonna –

Well, there’s no way for a 4-year old to “transition” without the involvement of a parent and doctors, so that’s really not saying much. Believe it or not, the mere fact that a parent and a doctor sign off on a course of action is not evidence that the action is correct. It only means that it is legal. By your logic, we should all support the torture inflicted on the subject of the “Sissy Boy Experiment” in the 70s because his parents and Dr. Rekers were all on board. And go tell your intersex friends that you support all the “assignments” and surgeries done on intersexed babies over the years, b/c as long as a parent and a doctor sign off, no one can dissent.

13. Thedrdonna says

Jerry,

Not seeing any links that corroborate your claims about what I’ve said…almost like you made it up. Also, you’ll notice I said that the child herself is leading the process. Nonconsensual assignments of intersex children, and the torturous ex-gay and ex-trans therapies are horrific, abut not germane to the conversation. Nice red herring, though. I suppose you and your determined anti-trans bias are supposed to be a better guide on the treatment of gender nonconforming children than doctors, parents, and the consistently expressed desires of the children themselves? That sounds a lot like the religious fanatics who tell parents to force their children into reparative therapy “for their own good”.

You’re ignorant of the issue, so your opinions are no more valid than those of right-wing Tea People.

14. Tori says

Dear Jerry,

I knew at age 3 that I was. My mother said impossible. I shared all that i remembered with my family from age 3 til know. They were floored as to what i knew. I waited until I was 42 to transition because of societies views such as yours. I was married for 18 years and had two daughters. My daughters have chosen to reject me because of the Southern Baptist Church they were raised in and believes. I would have never have to have caused the pain my ex-wife and my daughters had if i could have been me at an earlier age. My ex-wife would be married to a real male and her children would not be where they are today. I am a very successful person in both my military and civilian career with many awards and decorations. I know who I am. I am not crazy. I am sane. I am love to help in my community and church. I have a healthy life style and many friends who see me for who I am. They all say they have never seen me more alive than now. If we come with fear of the unknown or any kind of bias how can we speak truthfully.
    Tori :-)