Greg Berlanti | News | Superheroes | Television

New Series 'The Flash' To Feature Two Gay Characters

6a00d8341c730253ef01a51178c069970c-800wi

The CW’s new Arrow spin-off The Flash, starring former Gleek Grant Gustin as the eponymous superhero, will feature at least two gay characters in its first season. Out gay writer/producer Greg Berlanti (no stranger to LGBT friendly content, and current beau of America’s first openly gay MLS player, Robbie Rogers) along with fellow Flash executive producer Andrew Kreisberg spilled the beans to The Huffington Post:

Berlanti noted that David Singh, a gay DC Comics character, will be part of the "Flash" TV universe: He will recur on the show and will be played by Patrick Sabongui. The producers said that in the episodes sketched out so far, "we haven't dealt with that" aspect of the character, who, in the Arrow comics, is Barry Allen's supervisor in the Central City crime lab.

But Berlanti and Kreisberg added that, in addition to Singh, another gay character will be introduced in the first half of Season 1 of "The Flash" -- a man who already exists in the DC universe (I tried to get them to name the character, but they didn't take the bait). Of course, fans of "Arrow" know that show already has a LGBTQ character in Nyssa Al Ghul (Katrina Law), who was introduced as a former lover of Sara Lance (Caity Lotz).

As reported yesterday, The Flash will also feature openly gay actor and writer Wentworth Miller as bad guy Captain Cold.

Comments

1. It's most likely going to be Pied Piper, who started as a Flash villain, reformed, came out of the closet, and became an ally of the Flash.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 23, 2014 10:27:47 AM

2. This could be worth watching.

Posted by: Bollox | Jul 23, 2014 10:45:02 AM

3. That second character is likely the Pied Piper (Hartley Rathaway), since they seem to be building up the roster of Flash's Rogues Gallery from the comics. Piper is a reformed villain with a social justice focus (particularly homelessness). Piper has been out as gay in the comics for a number of years.

Posted by: Hal Shipman | Jul 23, 2014 10:54:04 AM

4. If the pilot is any indication of what a stinky cheese fest this show will be, the gays should head for higher ground.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Jul 23, 2014 11:01:26 AM

5. I'd say "Arrow" has two lesbian characters -- Nyssa al-Ghul and Black Canary (Sara Lance). I mean, if Nyssa is Black Canary's lover, then Black Canary is by definition Nyssa's lover too. Right? Am I being a pedantic jerk?

Posted by: Nora Charles | Jul 23, 2014 11:07:27 AM

6. Flash is the best.

Posted by: Kissyfur | Jul 23, 2014 11:10:29 AM

7. Also, Wikipedia says that Pied Piper is going to appear in the pilot of "The Flash" so good guess on that one!

Posted by: Nora Charles | Jul 23, 2014 11:15:14 AM

8. And, of course, the actor who played the Flash in the 1990s series--John Wesley Shipp--is also openly gay and on this new show as well, playing the Flash's father.

Posted by: Thomasina | Jul 23, 2014 11:17:39 AM

9. Thomasina: John Wesley Shipp is openly gay? I can't find ANY info about where/how/when he officially came out. Details?

Posted by: mccoysmarketnyc | Jul 23, 2014 11:27:13 AM

10. I've been away from The Flash comics for so long that I didn't know the Pied Piper had reformed (or come out!). But I like the look of this. Crossing my fingers for Mirror Master, though.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Jul 23, 2014 11:27:14 AM

11. I found JWS so handsome when he was in Dawson's Creek. I will watch this show, hopefully it is a good one.

Posted by: Matt27 | Jul 23, 2014 11:35:42 AM

12. We LOVE this show - we LOVE this show!!! And Flash is so cute! :-)

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jul 23, 2014 12:28:32 PM

13. "I'd say "Arrow" has two lesbian characters -- Nyssa al-Ghul and Black Canary (Sara Lance). I mean, if Nyssa is Black Canary's lover, then Black Canary is by definition Nyssa's lover too. Right? Am I being a pedantic jerk?"

Close. Black Canary is also Oliver's on-again-off-again lover, so she would be bisexual.

Her absolutely adorable, clearly butch pal Sin (played by Bex Taylor-Klaus (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4545813/) sure pings as gay, though.

Posted by: Lymis | Jul 23, 2014 12:30:04 PM

14. Arrow really shined in it's second season, so I hope The Flash can be as solid.

Posted by: Mikey | Jul 23, 2014 1:30:28 PM

15. Why not just make The Flash gay? Now that would be bold. I think it's pretty cool Wentworth Miller will be on the show. I haven't seen him act in awhile. And yes, I know, he is primarily a screenwriter now.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Jul 23, 2014 2:12:04 PM

16. Oh snap, she threw a leg over Oliver, that's right. But still, Arrow has two LGBT (well, LB) characters, not the one.

Posted by: Nora Charles | Jul 23, 2014 2:12:43 PM

17. Well at least Berlanti isn't waiting for season TWO of Flash to get us represented out there. He kept talking a good game about it with the Tomorrow People and look where that got us? Nowhere - ti was cancelled after it's first season. Way I figure it, if they're gonna cancel you after one round (many shows don't get more than that much of a chance any more) then go for broke out the gate. Balls to the wall baby - go big or ... yeah, well, you get the picture. Glad to see that he's putting his money and opportunity out there from the get-go. What a wasted opportunity it was with TTP.

Posted by: SA Collins | Jul 24, 2014 2:53:20 AM