News: Elephant Tears, Brandon Routh, Mars, Sarah Palin, Putin

RoadSignorile: Have gay groups set a trap with ENDA religious exemption?

RoadIndiana Governor Mike Pence proves that being a horrible bigot is a losing game.

Mars_moonRoadDid you see the Moon and Mars hanging out this week?

RoadVIDEO: Two women busted stealing a dude's stuff at the beach.

RoadElephant weeps after being freed for 50 years. "The squad raided the farm in India's Uttar Pradesh region, where Raju - who'd been regularly beaten and abused by his owners, who used him to beg for money - was being kept. And they claim that, as they liberated him from his manacles, he openly wept because he realized that his half-century ordeal was coming to an end."

RoadStephen Dorff and his beach bod caught on camera in Malibu.

RoadSofia Vergara and Joe Manganiello: world's most beautiful couple?

RoadThe 'gay-friendliest writer in television' comes out in his 50's. "Those dark messages I picked up from the culture, from my friends, and from the media made me hate myself for many years. They made me fear that if anyone found out who I really was, I'd be doomed; I wouldn't have a family; I wouldn't have a job; I wouldn't have friends."

RoadWilliam Orbit comes to the defense of Britney's vocal prowess.

RoadNaya Rivera returning to Glee for final season.

RouthRoadBrandon Routh joins Arrow as The Atom: "Routh will play Ray Palmer, a scientist, inventor and the new owner of Queen Consolidated. The deal spans fourteen episodes, with the character also serving as a love interest for fan favorite Felicity Smoak. In the comics, Palmer becomes The Atom, a character that can shrink down to subatomic size."

RoadWoman throws paint at gay sauna in Auckland, New Zealand: “I've dealt with enough of these morons in my life that I am not affected by it. But I am really annoyed that she used a boring off-white. I would have much preferred fluorescent green.”

RoadShemar Moore shows off for the paps at the beach.

RoadSarah Palin: It's time to impeach Obama.

RoadEquality Matters: How Houston media can fix its coverage of the LGBT non-discrimination ordinance.

RoadHIV home-testing kits approved for manufacture and sale. "Federal Health Minister Peter Dutton announced in Melbourne today that, following the successful introduction of self-testing kits in the US, the Australian government is to encourage the manufacture and sale of such kits nationally."

RoadAdam Lambert and Cyndi Lauper hang out.

RylandRoadCivilities: Do I introduce my child as my transgender son or daughter?

RoadUkrainan astronomers name star: "Putin is a d--khead".

RoadWaPo: Maybe it's okay for kids to say 'that's so gay'. "How are we to understand a phrase that older people find homophobic, but many younger people do not find offensive and even use themselves?"

RoadNational Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) joins legal team representing gay and lesbian couples in challenge to South Dakota's gay marriage ban.

RoadGay man assaulted and called "faggot" at D.C. Safeway: "An unidentified female suspect punched a gay man several times in the face while calling him a faggot in an unprovoked attack on July 2 inside a Safeway store at 5th and L Streets, N.W., according to an account the victim gave to D.C. police."

Comments

1. That Washington Post article defending the ubiquitous phrase "That's so gay" was really infuriating. The phrase has a direct connection to homophobia. I was in high school right around when it started becoming widely used but not before people tried to pretend it was not anti-gay. In the minds of the people using it, gay was bad and therefore the best way to describe something as bad was to label it gay. There was no ambiguity or context needed. It was homophobic plain and simple.

To read that not only do so-called allies use it but also gay people is mind-boggling and horrifying. What is really interesting is "That's so gay" has now replaced another offensive phrase: "That's retarded." Most people get how offensive it is to say the R-word, but are fine with using the word gay as an insult.

It reminds me of people who will use the phrase "Jew me down" to say someone is trying to rip them off or be cheap, but claim it is not anti-Semitic. Even if the phrase is not being directed at someone Jewish, it is still insulting because it makes the word Jew pejorative.

We need to eradicate all of these offensive phrases from our vocabulary. There are plenty of other ways to describe something as bad without demeaning an entire group of people.

Posted by: joeyhegele | Jul 8, 2014 3:52:22 PM

2. So if ignorant people use hate language, that makes the language OK? No. We're supposed to teach them that hate language hurts others, whether they mean it to hurt or not. It's called communication. When you communicate, the intention of your words don't matter. What matters is the message your audience hears.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 8, 2014 4:10:01 PM

3. As a gay man I simply will not shop at Safeway - a company run by Mormons. After their support in Prop 8 I refuse to enrich their pockets. I don't care if I have to drive a bit farther to do my shopping.

Posted by: bkmn | Jul 8, 2014 4:20:33 PM

4. RE: the Palin article. Is there any way to reference it without linking to Breitbart.com? That site makes hay off homophobia and bigotry and doesn't need any more clicks than it already gets.

Posted by: tranquilo | Jul 8, 2014 4:50:56 PM

5. 'Arrow' just keeps getting more delicious. But I'd prefer Brandon Routh without shrinkage.

Posted by: Pervy McPerv | Jul 8, 2014 4:51:35 PM

6. Hats off to Neal Baer, the "gay-friendliest writer in television" for coming out, but I think there's a mistake in the linked article. "ER" didn't feature the "first HIV-positive character on primetime television"-- I believe that distinction was on "St. Elsewhere" back in the 80s, with Mark Harmon's character.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jul 8, 2014 5:02:44 PM

7. While I don't think he's such a great actor, and I think I remember hearing rumors that he's not very gay-friendly, there's no doubt that Brandon Roush is a beautiful man.

Posted by: Jonty Coppersmith | Jul 8, 2014 5:16:48 PM

8. @JoeyHegele: I agree with your comments completely. I specifically remember the most violently homophobic bullies in Junior High using "gay" to mean anything derogatory, quite obviously because they equated homosexuality with the idea of everything undesirable. In turn, the "well-meaning" people who parrot that kind of offensive language are just people who don't intelligently process the words that come out of their mouths.
    I, too, had friends who would saying "You filthy Jew!" and tried to pass it off as having NOTHING whatsoever to do with Jewish people. "We have nothing against Jewish people. We just mean "cheap" or "ugly" or "horrible" (much the same as "gay" being used to mean ANYTHING bad).
    I did not accept that explanation from them, and I don't accept this article brushing off the derogatory use of the word "gay," either.
    There are thousands of words for "bad" (boring, ugly, tacky, vomit-inducing, distasteful, uninspiring, etc., etc.). No unrelated word identifying a group's identity (whether gay, Jewish, black, girl, etc., etc) need be used as a catch-all phrase for "bad" by anyone smart enough to learn a range of vocabulary words. And if they're NOT smart enough to learn a range of words, they could just stick with "bad."

Posted by: GregV | Jul 8, 2014 5:29:26 PM

9. The elephant story... :^(

Posted by: Jollysocks | Jul 8, 2014 5:34:31 PM

10. @JOLLYSOCKS,

yeah. Even though the elephant has been freed it's still a heartbreaking.

Bondage isn't right for human beings, it AINT right for animals either.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 8, 2014 5:43:12 PM

11. I'd cry too if someone made me wear that spiked thing for 50 years and someone finally took it off, seriously WTF !

Posted by: Frankie | Jul 8, 2014 5:49:42 PM

12. My opinion of "that's so gay" is the same as my opinion of the use of thhe word "tranny": even in a context where it's not explicitly insulting, it's still perpetuating hurtful language. Asking people not to use it isn't an infringement of free speech, it's a request to be a polite and accepting member of our society.

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Jul 8, 2014 6:02:41 PM

13. Well, according to my friends who lived in New York in the early 1990's--Shemar is as Gay as Gay as can be. But I don't know.

I guess he'll stay in closet (or on the "down low") forever.

Oh, why did I post this b1tchy comment? 'Cause I WANT HIM!

Have y'all ever a 45 year old man with a body like that? Even his feet look sexy.

But I'll take Blair Underwood first.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 8, 2014 6:12:20 PM

14. I legit had tears reading the elephant story.

Why can't humans aspire to be better? I'm not so naive as to think humans should all become a bunch of vegetarians... but animals should all at least be given the right to dignity, including the right to live unshackled.

Do people not get that these animals have feelings?

Posted by: R | Jul 8, 2014 8:27:46 PM

15. @BKMN - Safeway is a publicly traded company with a board of directors and management board. It isn't "run by Mormons."

It was bought earlier this year by a private equity firm founded and led by a Jewish businessman.

Posted by: Samuel | Jul 8, 2014 9:25:12 PM

16. I can believe that an elephant was freed from captivity after 50 years. That part makes sense. I'm not about to believe that it "wept with joy" while being freed. The elephant is probably not to sure of its future, so why would it think itself freed? And have we established that elephants "weep with joy", or weep, regardless?

Posted by: anon | Jul 8, 2014 9:42:06 PM

17. "That's so gay!"

Joe, 19, gay: “I think it breaks down barriers between the straight and gay community. ... I use it a lot.”

Neil, 18, gay: “I don’t find it derogatory in any way, probably because I say it as well.”

The saviors of GoProud arrived too late.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 8, 2014 10:06:07 PM

18. I believe that elephants can weep with joy, or relief, and that this one did. Believing otherwise serves no purpose whatsoever unless you really believe that animals don't have feelings in which case the unintended consequence is that you have demonstrated you're stupid.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 8, 2014 10:13:38 PM

19. Elephant weeps after being freed for 50 years!? FOR 50 Years!!!! Damn your Grammar!

Posted by: Pffff | Jul 8, 2014 10:46:25 PM

20. poor wanting attention Palin! Such a fool she be
    she needs not more attention but something in her mouth perhaps Plumber Joe would offer

Posted by: L G. | Jul 9, 2014 4:15:39 AM

21. Why is Sarah Palin still getting press coverage?

Posted by: mdnc | Jul 9, 2014 7:17:52 AM